OT: Winona's Alec Brown drops school record 44 pts tonight

BigGopherFan

Banned
Reaction score
Winona's 6-11/7-foot center Alec Brow dropped a school-record 44 points tonight against Rochester JM a week after blocking a record 12 shots. The kid also pulled down 15 boards. According to a reporter from the Winona paper who just texted me, Alec had a lot of easy bunnies, but "knocked down a couple long js and hit some fade-aways from 15 (feet)"
Winona's conference (Big 9) isn't the greatest of leagues, but it's all 3 and 4A schools. Brown is a mid-major late-bloomer that looks to be coming into his own. A lot of people are surprised he's not going to Winona State. Guess he wants to give D-I a shot...I can't blame him.

JM has one of the smallest teams in the state, but impressive nontheless. If I'm not mistaken I thought he was boarderline high major, so I'm not sure why it would be surprising if he chooses not to go to Winona State.

JM has one of the smallest teams in the state, but impressive nontheless. If I'm not mistaken I thought he was boarderline high major, so I'm not sure why it would be surprising if he chooses not to go to Winona State.

Might go to prep school too.
One of Winona State's best players is a transfer from Iowa State named Clayton Vette who was a 3-star prospect and Mr. Basketball award-winner in Iowa as a senior.
Another one of Winona State's studs, CJ Erickson, played for Evansville as a freshman before transferring. Also, WSU's current point guard played one season as a receiver for Minnesota.
During the national title years, WSU had a starter who transferred from Creighton, another starter who played football for the Badgers and turned down three full Division I basketball rides and another starter who turned down Bradley and Northwestern to go to Winona.
Needless to say, nabbing a guy like Alec Brown wouldn't be outrageous for the Warriors.

Winona's 6-11/7-foot center Alec Brow dropped a school-record 44 points tonight against Rochester JM a week after blocking a record 12 shots. The kid also pulled down 15 boards. According to a reporter from the Winona paper who just texted me, Alec had a lot of easy bunnies, but "knocked down a couple long js and hit some fade-aways from 15 (feet)"
Winona's conference (Big 9) isn't the greatest of leagues, but it's all 3 and 4A schools. Brown is a mid-major late-bloomer that looks to be coming into his own. A lot of people are surprised he's not going to Winona State. Guess he wants to give D-I a shot...I can't blame him.

Question- Could this be another Patrick O'Bryant situation - the late bloomer that ended up at Bradley and then a first rounder in the NBA draft? Should Tubby be on the kid - or is he? I know this not a roster need with Eliason coming but 7' tall and can score...........

From what I saw of him last year, he would be no where near physical enough for big 10 play. He is a tall kid but (like most high school kids) needs to put on muscle. He would make Sampson look like a beast down low. His game is of the same style to Sampson though. He is big enough to pick up the gimme's around the hoop and has a decent touch on the ball, but he can be pushed around.

Good info BigGopherFan.

As many of you probably were too, I was at the '06 exhibition game where they beat our Gophers in the Barn. Flowers, Smith, and Malvik, no doubt they were an exception squad, but that was painful.

Too slim for the Gophers to add a fourth 7'er, but nothing wrong with considering playing for an elite D2 program and Coach Leaf.

I would agree with freeskier's comments. I saw this kid play extensively this fall, and while he has size, he is thin and would get pushed around in the B10. He has more potential as a big guy who can step out and hit a 15-18 footer. He kind of reminds me of the kid from Eastview who went to Kansas State a few years back (can't remember first name but last name was Kent) who was an okay player for K-State.

As many of you probably were too, I was at the '06 exhibition game where they beat our Gophers in the Barn. Flowers, Smith, and Malvik, no doubt they were an exception squad, but that was painful.

Those 3 players would probably start on this years gophers. Hopefully next year our talent level will go up a notch (Royce & Cory) and we won't be able to say that.

Top Bottom