OT - Funny line about the Vikings game yesterday

I wonder if anybody is re-thinking their opinion of Kirk Cousins as a QB after watching the Vikings offense over the last few weeks.
He is clearly vastly superior to what you have on the roster now, but then raises the question of what you could get with his $50million both at the position and elsewhere on the team with someone who isn’t a guy that shouldn’t be a starting qb in the league. Problem is there just aren’t many of those guys to go around. This team with Cousins is probably borderline as a contender due to the OL. Would’ve been interesting to see. Either have to double down on Cousins who could be a little cheaper with the injury or else try unload and get someone in the draft on a rookie deal

He is clearly vastly superior to what you have on the roster now, but then raises the question of what you could get with his $50million both at the position and elsewhere on the team with someone who isn’t a guy that shouldn’t be a starting qb in the league. Problem is there just aren’t many of those guys to go around. This team with Cousins is probably borderline as a contender due to the OL. Would’ve been interesting to see. Either have to double down on Cousins who could be a little cheaper with the injury or else try unload and get someone in the draft on a rookie deal

Not to go too deep on a Viking topic here, but does it make sense to pay JJ a record contract while saddling him with a rookie QB?

Even with the proliferation of analytics in sports, I don't think I've ever seen any statistical analysis of success rates for first round QBs. My impression is it's pretty hit-and-miss.

I wonder if anybody is re-thinking their opinion of Kirk Cousins as a QB after watching the Vikings offense over the last few weeks.
He is good but I don’t see him as a long term option…. he is old, wants more money, and is hurt…

Kirk ultra fans just can’t handle that idea that yes stats but where the money go ?

Last edited:

Not to go too deep on a Viking topic here, but does it make sense to pay JJ a record contract while saddling him with a rookie QB?

Even with the proliferation of analytics in sports, I don't think I've ever seen any statistical analysis of success rates for first round QBs. My impression is it's pretty hit-and-miss.
Depends on how long that contract is and who the qb is. JJ (and Addison and Hock) will make a lot of guys look good and you can pay them plus add on the line with a rookie qb. There’s a reason that Caleb Williams listed MN as one of the places he’d go

He is good but I don’t see him as a long term option….

But the Kirk ultra fans just can’t handle that idea.

You're right in saying he is absolutely not the long term answer, because of age.

I look at it the problem as follows:

Let's say Cousins is the 15th-best QB in the league, just to pick a number for the sake of argument (he may actually be better than that, but we'll go with 15th).

What are the actual odds of replacing him with a QB who is (or will be) ranked 14th overall in the NFL, or better? You can find your new guy via the draft, or trade, or free agency.

50-50 odds?

You're right in saying he is absolutely not the long term answer, because of age.

Let's say Cousins is the 15th-best QB in the league, just to pick a number for the sake of argument (he may actually be better than that, but we'll go with 15th).

What are the actual odds of replacing him with a QB who is (or will be) ranked 14th overall in the NFL, or better? You can find your new guy via the draft, or trade, or free agency.

50-50 odds?
If there was a QB in the 2024 draft who you could guarantee would be as good as Cousins, he would go #1 overall, put it that way.

I literally started watching with 10 minutes left and was momentarily confused looking at the score and seeing 4th qtr...anyway, saw only the most exciting part!

Will be interesting to see if the local media mocks and ridicules the Vikings for being around .500 and beating a shitty team 3-0 in a league designed for them to have an equal chance of winning.

50-50 odds?
There are no guarantees, probably get a worse guy. But why tie up money on a guy who isn’t going to get you anywhere?

Will be interesting to see if the local media mocks and ridicules the Vikings for being around .500 and beating a shitty team 3-0 in a league designed for them to have an equal chance of winning.

What are the odds that the storyline will be, "The Vikings overcame a slew of injuries and a struggling offense to get a much-needed road win and keep themselves in strong playoff position."

Last edited:

I guarantee at list 1 Strib Columnist will mock the Vikings.

As for the Vikings comparisons to the Hawkeyes yesterday, I find the Iowa games more interesting. At least their special teams and defense often find ways to score.

There are no guarantees, probably get a worse guy. But why tie up money on a guy who isn’t going to get you anywhere?

If Cousins isn't going to get you anywhere, then a player who is inferior to him certainly won't get you anywhere.

So that leaves the money question. Well, it ain't my money, and the Wilfs appear to be far from destitute. As a fan, I want to see a winner. Cap management is a crucial part of success and failure in the NFL.

The Vikings won 3-0 yesterday in an extremely boring game. I told my son, "It was like watching Iowa play an intersquad scrimmage!!!"
Ferentz is probably requiring his staff and team to watch this game as the blueprint for what they are striving to do.....no offense of any kind.....just defense and special teams. :)

I guarantee at list 1 Strib Columnist will mock the Vikings.

As for the Vikings comparisons to the Hawkeyes yesterday, I find the Iowa games more interesting. At least their special teams and defense often find ways to score.
As I was watching the game I thought -- "I sure am glad I did not pay 200-300 dollars to watch this game!!!" haha

Ideal scenario would be a couple more years of Cousins and then draft a guy to be the eventual replacement. Easier said than done though in terms of money/length of contract that Cousins would demand.

They also pitched a road shutout against a team at least on the fringes of playoff contention.

The Vikings are a lot like the Gophers this year. While everyone obsesses over the QB position, things have dramatically changed on the defensive side. Only in this case, the Vikings change has been good and not bad.

Run it back with Cousins and Jefferson and this defense next year, and watch the team be a core contender.

Ideal scenario would be a couple more years of Cousins and then draft a guy to be the eventual replacement. Easier said than done though in terms of money/length of contract that Cousins would demand.
Would be interesting to know if he would take a 2-3 year deal.

I feel that would be the ideal for the Vikings.

Ferentz is probably requiring his staff and team to watch this game as the blueprint for what they are striving to do.....no offense of any kind.....just defense and special teams. :)
I agree —makes me ill to think they can win so many games with only being quite good in two phases and absolutely terrible in the 3rd. They just keep doing it year after year.

They also pitched a road shutout against a team at least on the fringes of playoff contention.

The Vikings are a lot like the Gophers this year. While everyone obsesses over the QB position, things have dramatically changed on the defensive side. Only in this case, the Vikings change has been good and not bad.

Run it back with Cousins and Jefferson and this defense next year, and watch the team be a core contender.
They won by 3 and looked like an awful team against the 5-8 raiders.

everything you say is true.
The Vikings are always contenders 😂

As I was watching the game I thought -- "I sure am glad I did not pay 200-300 dollars to watch this game!!!" haha
I was in Vegas the week before and paid $67 for the PAC 12 Championship game for a seat on the goal line in the Club (2nd/middle) Level. Same ticket face value was $350 for the Vikings game, and going for around $500+ on the secondary market.

I got a much better value.

They won by 3 and looked like an awful team against the 5-8 raiders.

everything you say is true.
The Vikings are always contenders 😂

They looked "awful", and yet it sounds as though you watched it.

Were they actually "awful"? Yes, they were... well, they certainly were terrible on offense.

Did they gut-out a much-needed win with an offense depleted by injuries? Yes.

Was their defense excellent? Yes.

All of these are true statements. There are usually multiple facets to any story.

They looked "awful", and yet it sounds as though you watched it.
Not sure what the point of this statement was. Yes I watched a game of a team I am a fan of.
Were they actually "awful"? Yes, they were... well, they certainly were terrible on offense.
Did they gut-out a much-needed win with an offense depleted by injuries? Yes.
Was their defense excellent? Yes.
All of these are true statements. There are usually multiple facets to any story.
No kidding. You’re kind of making my point. I’m not sure you understood the point of my original post

Not sure what the point of this statement was. Yes I watched a game of a team I am a fan of.

Well, one point is: they apparently don't need to put a thrilling offensive product on the field in order to attract eyeballs.

No kidding. You’re kind of making my point. I’m not sure you understood the point of my original post

I think you're right; I may have missed your point.

My overall take was: there are negative and positives storylines here (and in most situations in life). Sports media seems to focus almost exclusively on the negative ones.

The Vikings won 3-0 yesterday in an extremely boring game. I told my son, "It was like watching Iowa play an intersquad scrimmage!!!"

The Minnesota Wild beat Seattle by the same score. Wasn't so terrible there.;)

Last edited:

If Cousins isn't going to get you anywhere, then a player who is inferior to him certainly won't get you anywhere.

So that leaves the money question. Well, it ain't my money, and the Wilfs appear to be far from destitute. As a fan, I want to see a winner. Cap management is a crucial part of success and failure in the NFL.
That's why you draft a rookie. That money can go to other positions.

Top Bottom