OT: Alvarez Retiring

Being on the other side of his work at Wisconsin has not been fun. Hope the Gophers are able to capitalize on this transition, but I think Chryst seems like the right guy to pick up this torch so who knows.

Donna Shalala and Barry Alvarez left a lasting legacy with Wisconsin Athletics.

Pains me to say this, incredible at two jobs for our biggest rival. Deserves every single accolade.
This is clearly correct. Now that he has built a foundation, I'm sure they'll hire someone to keep the Badgers moving in the right direction.

Alvarez's Wiki page is well worth a read. What a career.

I'd forgotten that he coached the defenses on some of those great Notre Dame teams in the late 80s.

According to Wiki, when he took over the Wisconsin program in 1990, the Badgers hadn't had a winning season since 1984, and had only won 7 B1G games over the course of those six seasons. Wow. What a turnaround. He's leaving the program on a solid foundation.

Congratulations, Mr. Alvarez. I hope you have a long, enjoyable retirement.

Being on the other side of his work at Wisconsin has not been fun. Hope the Gophers are able to capitalize on this transition, but I think Chryst seems like the right guy to pick up this torch so who knows.
Chryst hates most of te gladhanding that goes with being a HC.
He would never take the AD position.

Chryst hates most of te gladhanding that goes with being a HC.
He would never take the AD position.
Yeah, Chryst is even more blah than Mark Coyle. Doesn't seem like his kind of thing.

The collapse of Wisconsin Athletics begins?

We have some anecdotal evidence for this potential collapse: The post-Tom Osborne era Cornhuskers.

Not very many people, if any, would have predicted that fall from glory back at the time Osborne retired.

This is clearly correct. Now that he has built a foundation, I'm sure they'll hire someone to keep the Badgers moving in the right direction.
Unless the historic communism of UW-Madison raises its ugly head.

Honoring Alvarez from Minnesota is like Boston honoring the Captain of the Yankees.

Last edited:

There are/were rumors that the Iowa State AD was waiting for Barry to retire as he formerly worked in Madison as an associate AD. I'm sure they'll get a good successor.

Alvarez's Wiki page is well worth a read. What a career.

I'd forgotten that he coached the defenses on some of those great Notre Dame teams in the late 80s.

According to Wiki, when he took over the Wisconsin program in 1990, the Badgers hadn't had a winning season since 1984, and had only won 7 B1G games over the course of those six seasons. Wow. What a turnaround. He's leaving the program on a solid foundation.

Congratulations, Mr. Alvarez. I hope you have a long, enjoyable retirement.
Cancel culture got him. You should be proud.

Cancel culture got him. You should be proud.
37850ZW.gif

Chris McIntosh will likely be his successor. Of course, they’ll have to die their due diligence as a public university and post it.

Thanks Barry for helping ruin the WCHA.

I hear he's still willing to coach in Bowl games whenever needed.

Think it wise to add Pat Richter.
A lot of people forget that Richter was/is an athletic demi-god in Wisconsin in the way Paul Giel was in Minnesota. Richter obviously had more success in building the founation at Wisconsin than Giel did here, but they both came into the job in the same way: Homestate idol makes good.

Top Bottom