Oregon transfer Brennan Rigsby commits to MN

Comparing Stats from last year, other than assists pretty similar.

Rigsby

2023-24

GPMINFG%3P%FT%REBASTBLKSTLPFTOPTS

Hawkins

STATS
2023-24

BUT, assists are what Hawkins-type PG's are needed to do. A PG with minimal assists had better score a ton of points, or he is as worthless as a singer without a voice.

But being negative is the basketball board way. :)
true-correct.gif

BUT, assists are what Hawkins-type PG's are needed to do. A PG with minimal assists had better score a ton of points, or he is as worthless as a singer without a voice.
sure....but until we know if he is actually going to be the primary PG it is kind of silly to worry much about it. As I said a few posts ago my bet is he is being viewed as more of replacement for Carrington than Hawkins but I guess time will tell.

sure....but until we know if he is actually going to be the primary PG it is kind of silly to worry much about it. As I said a few posts ago my bet is he is being viewed as more of replacement for Carrington than Hawkins but I guess time will tell.
If he is a PG, he is judged by assists.
But he is NOT a PG, so he shoudn't be compared to Hawkins' assist stats.
He is wing either scores or prevents opposition scoring.

If a guard has a 40" vertical, don't judge him by his number of assists.

Rigsby

2023-24

Hawkins

STATS
2023-24

Rigsby

2023-24

Hawkins

STATS
2023-24

Real data. That's refreshing.

Real data. That's refreshing.
Thanks for the data, but I don't think Hawkins is the right comparable. Rigby will probably be filling the roles played by Mitchell last year, who will probably see more time at the point, Carrington, or Christie, if he doesn't return. To replace Hawkins, hopefully we can get someone who will push the ball up the court.

Maybe this kid just needs a change of scenery, a new system and an opportunity to shine. He can't be any worse than the German kid who just transferred out.

Cost us a buck seventy-five of our NIL money, a sizeable amount, hope he's worth busting the bank over because the team is going to have to sacrifice our yearly pack of gum. Those boys will miss the luxury of getting a whole stick each to themselves but we do need a PG.

wouldn't Asuma be an underrated PG? similar to Al Nolen (aka Al Nolan) was his freshman year
I expect Asuma to be a little better offensively than Nolen - Nolen was fantastic defensively though

Cost us a buck seventy-five of our NIL money, a sizeable amount, hope he's worth busting the bank over because the team is going to have to sacrifice our yearly pack of gum. Those boys will miss the luxury of getting a whole stick each to themselves but we do need a PG.
seriously?

Last edited:

So we swapped junior guards.
Downgraded 9.5 points to 6.1.
7.5 assists to 1.1.
Downgraded 3pt% and FT%.

But at least Coyle did his job and pacified the fan-base.
I think that is what we are all hoping. Either way we need any good news and we need bodies so until the season starts no reason to rag on the pickup.
Amen . Let them step on the court before you turn on the negative bs.

Should be a decent rotation piece, but this is definitely not the type of signing that’s going to elevate the team next year.

We have to make a bigger splash at the guard position. Its likely going to come from someone making a step up from a less competitive conference.

I'm pretty high on Asuma, looks like he is going to have to contribute from day 1. I believe his able to physically. Hopefully he can bring good 3pt shooting with him.

Between Asuma, Mitchell, and Rigsby, I still don't know if we have that pure PG on the roster. That is really asking a lot of Asuma as a true freshman. Worse case Mitchell might have to slide into Hawkins role if we can't get anyone else. Still counting on Christie being gone, maybe he gets some feedback from NBA and they ask him to become a PG?

Top Bottom