Oregon State Loses Two Key Players From the Secondary

First game of the year should be a good litmus test to see how the passing game looks and what WR(s) are going to step up.

Oregon State allowed 40+ points 9 times last year - if we can't pass on them we're in trouble.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

First game of the year should be a good litmus test to see how the passing game looks and what WR(s) are going to step up.

Oregon State allowed 40+ points 9 times last year - if we can't pass on them we're in trouble.

It would also be nice to see a first drive that goes somewhere ...

In reading the article it does not sound like either player was really a key component of their defensive backfield so I can't imagine this has any impact on the game.

Sounds like they'll also be without their starting left tackle Sean Harlow (one of the team captains as well) for the season.

In reading the article it does not sound like either player was really a key component of their defensive backfield so I can't imagine this has any impact on the game.

I have to disagree. The article headline states that they were two key players and the article itself suggests that they were needed for depth. This is a total guess on my part but even if they were not starters this season, it sounds like they would play. I'm further guessing OSU has little experience along with little depth at some key positions. Hopefully this means we should have no problems getting our passing game going in this first game.

In the Kill era we would choose to RUTM over passing in this game - regardless of the situation. I agree with you. I hope TC uses the chance to practice the pass game no matter how much we may be up by - assuming we are up by a comfortable margin.

Oregon State has a new Defensive Coordinator and we have a new Offensive Coordinator so there are a lot of unknowns. I look for the first quarter to be pretty conservative as the teams feel each other out. I expect that by early in the second half we'll have the game in hand, OSU simply hasn't had time to greatly improve their roster, these injuries don't help.

It's not like we don't have a ton of guys already missing practice and being held out ourselves. Hopefully, all our key people are miraculously healthy all year long and we roll!

Ask yourself if you would be concerned if we lost two key backups in the secondary.

They are not key players and would not have played much except on special teams. Lewis played OK as a soph. and was expected to be a key player last year. Instead he became a poster child for missed arm tackles and bad pursuit angles. Andersen preaches toughness and he did not have it. Played very little by the end of the year.

In the Kill era we would choose to RUTM over passing in this game - regardless of the situation. I agree with you. I hope TC uses the chance to practice the pass game no matter how much we may be up by - assuming we are up by a comfortable margin.

Yes please, let's give Mitch and such some time against a depleted secondary. That is the time to test the passing game.

I liked Jerry but his mantra type offense of establishing the run above all else I suspect meant that the passing game never got established well enough, maybe ever.

I like running and I'd prefer a dominant running game if I have the choice, but Oregon State seems like the team to test the passing game.

I disagree with your disagreement. One was a "feel good story" when they ran out of bodies last year. Probably a great kid, but not a starter. The other is a guy who was clearly not going to start and quit.
The tackle might be a real loss.

Top Bottom