Oregon State lands its fourth Division I transfer as Minnesota guard Tre’ Williams commits

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Nick:

Oregon State secured its fourth Division I transfer for the upcoming 2021-22 men’s basketball season Saturday when Minnesota guard Tre’ Williams committed to the Beavers.

A 6-foot-5, 200-pound guard, Williams played two years for the Gophers before placing his name into the NCAA transfer portal about a month ago.

Williams was among several Minnesota players to transfer after the school made a coaching change, hiring Ben Johnson to replace Richard Pitino.

Go Gophers!!

You dont think Tre is good enough to play on Pac 12 NCAA team?

My answer to that question is "I don't know. I guess we'll see." His two seasons here weren't exactly illustrious.

VERY surprising after the way the Beavs finished the season.

Yes, they did have a great run at the end of the season but they also had four players enter the transfer portal and another 3 seniors in their top 8 rotation so they needed to go to the transfer portal for additional bodies. They did pick up 4 transfers from the portal with Williams being the last one. Their in-migration therefore matched their out-migration.

Despite their great finish this season, Oregon State has been a tough place to win for the last 30 years. Wayne Tinkle, their current coach, has taken them to the NCAA tournament in two of his seven years there but those are the only two appearances since 1990 (Gary Payton's final season).

My answer to that question is "I don't know. I guess we'll see." His two seasons here weren't exactly illustrious.
Ok fair enough. Tre can play a little bit. Obviously you dont think much of him.

Ok fair enough. Tre can play a little bit. Obviously you dont think much of him.
Below average shooter (improving some but rotation is terrible, very flat, and slow release so won’t improve much), average ball handler, below average passer, below average court awareness on both sides of the ball, poor defender... there is a reason not a lot of demand beyond OSU.

Below average shooter (improving some but rotation is terrible, very flat, and slow release so won’t improve much), average ball handler, below average passer, below average court awareness on both sides of the ball, poor defender... there is a reason not a lot of demand beyond OSU.
Every single one of those things can be addressed and improved upon if plugged into a functioning offensive/defensive systems and by playing a meaningful role. He was also a true sophomore, in a sport typically dominated by freshman phenoms and seniors. He’s got room to grow but this is another example in a long line of Pitino players that ate scholarships before taking their experience as upperclassmen elsewhere.

Every single one of those things can be addressed and improved upon if plugged into a functioning offensive/defensive systems and by playing a meaningful role. He was also a true sophomore, in a sport typically dominated by freshman phenoms and seniors. He’s got room to grow but this is another example in a long line of Pitino players that ate scholarships before taking their experience as upperclassmen elsewhere.

Yeah, but all of them are also true about me.

Yes, they did have a great run at the end of the season but they also had four players enter the transfer portal and another 3 seniors in their top 8 rotation so they needed to go to the transfer portal for additional bodies. They did pick up 4 transfers from the portal with Williams being the last one. Their in-migration therefore matched their out-migration.

Despite their great finish this season, Oregon State has been a tough place to win for the last 30 years. Wayne Tinkle, their current coach, has taken them to the NCAA tournament in two of his seven years there but those are the only two appearances since 1990 (Gary Payton's final season).
Having trekked to OSU for the football game, I can understand why it's hard to recruit to. It reminded me of St. Cloud and I laughed at the online ranking which listed it as the best Pac 10 city, ugh. That being said, if you are a good coach you can recruit them to any place. Tre will fit well there IMO, length and athletic and I think he can become an absolute stopper on D as well.

Tre seemed like he might have been a pretty good teammate? And a good guy....
on the plus side.

Oregon is getting a ton of Division one players and we are picking up Division II guys lol, not great on paper.

It was obvious we were going to lose Carr and Robbins. Aside from those two, Williams was the player with the most talent and upside.

Oregon is getting a ton of Division one players and we are picking up Division II guys lol, not great on paper.
Are these transfers, Mashburn, Williams, Robbins etc a statement on the firing of Pitino or the hiring of Johnson?

They have nothing to do with Johnson and did not win with Pitino.
The thought of being on noncomperetive team for the rest of their career and playing for an inexperienced coach had nothing to do with their transfer?

Top Bottom