Opinions on Linebackers moving forward

Johnob2

Reaction score
Got a bit caught up in the atmosphere Thursday and didn't watch as closely as I should - but it seemed as though there were a lot of rotations at linebacker. Guessing it was either because of the heat/time the defense had on the field or because we haven't quite made our mind up on the starters yet?

Do people feel we will move towards Hill, Campbell and Wilson/Lynn getting most of the play or are the high frequency rotations likely to continue?

I am sure the heat played a role in substitution patterns on Thursday. That being said I get the feeling they are not totally set yet on the starting three and will use these weaker non-conf games to try everyone out and see who takes the lead. I would think by the end of the non-conf season they would like to have three primary guys locked in and the others as key backups/fill ins.

Playing in the heat, playing at altitude rotation is key. I think they either failed to rotate Wilson and Lynn early enough, or When Hageman got nicked he was out maybe a play or two, and UNLV ran a quick draw and Wilson was not in the picture. Coach Kill mentioned it. Was he slightly gassed, missed his alignment, or whatever that play will be run back and forth in the film room. There will be questions about where were you on that play? What was your alignment key, your assignment?

I'm just hoping that there is someone who will not let the other team have 10 to 12 yard holes to run through.

I was at the game and I thought the LB was WAY better than last year. They might have had a couple of bad plays but overall a good performance. I thought Wilson was around the ball all night. I have my doubts if Manuel will be starting when the Big Ten season opens. My question is why did we keep 3 LBs in almost all the time when UNLV kept passing the ball? Maybe no depth in the secondary without Wells?? Did anybody else notice this?

Campbell really has "the look." Long, lean, athletic. Looks like he could be a playmaker.

I think this is one unit where Claeys is having a bit of a challenge finding exactly what he wants. Claeys' scheme seems to be predicated on having the DEs "fire" and the DTs play fairly aggressively as well instead of reading. That makes LB play absolutely crucial as they have to sweep up behind what is hopefully some disruption coming from the line. It also brings the safeties up.

I guess what I'm saying is that in Claeys' defense, the LBs have to be both athletic and assignment-sure. Tough to find those types.

I think they kept the three line backers in because de'vondre campbell is such a good athlete that he could cover a slot guy and still be there in run support

I was at the game and I thought the LB was WAY better than last year. They might have had a couple of bad plays but overall a good performance. I itthought Wilson was around the ball all night. I have my doubts if Manuel will be starting when the Big Ten season opens. My question is why did we keep 3 LBs in almost all the timuue when UNLV kept passing the ball? Maybe no depth in the secondary without Wells?? Did anybody else notice this?

Iunlv would have loved to have 5 db s playing because Corbett is a very good ball. He would start for us.

Iunlv would have loved to have 5 db s playing because Corbett is a very good ball. He would start for us.

I don't know much about him, but it didn't seem like we were getting beat by the run with the exception of a couple of long runs on draws.

Claeys basically said that Campbell would have started, but he didn't want to start 2 LBs who had never played a D-1 football game. By the time the B1G schedule rolls around, expect the top 3 to be Wilson, Hill, and Campbell. Manuel, Lynn, Rallis, and some others will get time, but those will probably be the 3 out there when the game is on the line.

I thought Damien Wilson was really, really solid, especially for his first game at this level. He was definitely around the ball all night.

Interesting about not starting two LB's who had never played at this level before; I'm pretty sure the run by Cornett right up the middle for their first TD was the first play Campbell was on the field. Watching the game again, Campbell has a ton of energy and enthusiasm, but I wonder how well he knows his assignments right now. I hope he gets a ton of snaps between now and Iowa.

I'm not overly worried about the position moving forward. I think the Gophers are in much better shape than many of us thought. As I've said before, I think it's absolutely critical to their success that Wilson rapidly evolve into a beast manning the middle. He looked pretty good Saturday.

Campbell has some wheels and was good in pursuit. I still want to see a game where they don't give up the embarrassing long run, especially right up the middle.

Top Bottom