Opener on Fox

Sadly I won't get to see it on TV, because I'LL BE THERE LIVE!!!! woooooooooo....

Sadly I won't get to see it on TV, because I'LL BE THERE LIVE!!!! woooooooooo....
I like that we're on national TV... but never a fan of the national commentators simply because they don't know the team / are busy sort of psudo introducing it. I get why... just as me I'd rather hear from BTN folks who know the team better.

I'll be happy to be there than hearing national commentary.

That's the plan for me as well! Just have to figure out some logistics around me making an extra trip to MN (I'll be in MN the week prior. The original plan was to be there the week of the game, but my SO is an educator and needs to be back in-person to prep their classroom for the new school year, so we had to shift it up a week).

Oh, how I hate Ohio State.

Taken from a t-shirt I saw back in the 70's at Memorial Stadium.

IIRC B1G has a sort of weighted round robin system where they offer games to the various networks based on some deals and different networks get to pick in different orders.

The fact that the game was a Thursday wasn't likely to change, but Fox apparently picked this one.

Just to clarify the process, FOX and ABC/ESPN split the B1G's "Tier 1" (best game of the week) rights. Not sure exactly how it works, but they do some selection to split up who gets first pick each week. Then each week the broadcast with first pick picks their matchup and the other broadcast can pick the next matchup. So for this game, FOX had the Tier 1 right to the first week of the season meaning they could pick any home B1G game and they went with us. My guess is they liked the idea of being the only big game on Thursday instead of picking Wisconsin/PSU on Saturday and competing with other big games.

As to the idea of making it a large event, I think some effort will help but we already saw last year with PSU that if you have a big matchup, TCF and campus can create an insane environment. But I would agree with shutting down campus as noon and just turning it into a block party with tailgating.

Just to clarify the process, FOX and ABC/ESPN split the B1G's "Tier 1" (best game of the week) rights. Not sure exactly how it works, but they do some selection to split up who gets first pick each week. Then each week the broadcast with first pick picks their matchup and the other broadcast can pick the next matchup. So for this game, FOX had the Tier 1 right to the first week of the season meaning they could pick any home B1G game and they went with us. My guess is they liked the idea of being the only big game on Thursday instead of picking Wisconsin/PSU on Saturday and competing with other big games.

As to the idea of making it a large event, I think some effort will help but we already saw last year with PSU that if you have a big matchup, TCF and campus can create an insane environment. But I would agree with shutting down campus as noon and just turning it into a block party with tailgating.
That was too much fun...JK...huge atmosphere.

TCF can be hostile territory for sure.

Don't know if the actual stadium design has any special acoustics but for sure it must be something on the field when fans are fully amped.

TCF can be hostile territory for sure.

Don't know if the actual stadium design has any special acoustics but for sure it must be something on the field when fans are fully amped.

If we can get it like the PSU game in 2019, that will not be a fun place to open for the Bucks. Trying to remember the last time Ohio State has opened with a true road game like this. I know they have played the big neutral matchups, but I feel like most of their tougher early season matchups have always been Week 2 or 3

Top Bottom