One week from today

gopher7

Reaction score
In one week the MLB draft kicks off. Where will Decker be drafted, and should we be worrying about him leaving? How high would he have to be taken before he is tempted to sign?

I think it would be absolutely preposterous for him to even consider baseball. It's not like he's Bo Jackson, Deion Sanders, etc. He is a decent baseball player, and nothing more. He would be a longshot to ever make the big leagues, and even if he did, would certainly never be an All-Star or anything of that caliber. He will, however, be drafted highly, and probably be a starter somewhere within a year or two, if he decides to go to the NFL. He is a much better football player than Logan Payne or Ernie Wheelwright, and those guys are both drawing NFL paychecks. Is he a better baseball player than, say, Glen Perkins? Not even close.

All of the above being said, if I were him, I wouldn't even consider signing unless I were drafted in the first five rounds. Considering that's probably not going to happen, I'd consider his future in football pretty secure.

He does not figure to be drafted high enough to garner the type of signing bonus one would think it would take for him to consider dropping football.

Nothing against the young man, but after watching him in person and at the Big Ten Tourney, he's a longshot at best.
Decent hitter, decent throwing arm. A slightly above average college player.
One of my good friends scouts for the Cleveland Indians, and he said basically the same thing after watching him earlier this spring.
I think he has a legitmate shot at being a longtime NFL guy. Great hands and intelligent.

Decker

I don’t disagree that he’s got a surer path to professional success in football, but that doesn’t really mean much if he really wants to play baseball. Obviously, he loves baseball or he wouldn’t be spending his time playing now when he could be getting ready for the last year of his college football career. If he truly wants to be a baseball player, then he should maximize his leverage and sign this year. He will be able to get a signing bonus far beyond that which is typical for players drafted in whatever round he’s drafted. This summer, he can tell a baseball team that drafts him that he intends to return to college to play football and/or baseball if they don’t come up with the cash. By next summer, his college baseball career will be over and he’ll have already decided to either play college baseball or spend the spring preparing for the NFL draft, going to the combine, etc. That will be a pretty good indicator to the teams where his true interests are. Maybe a team that really likes him will even let him play football in the fall.

I talked to his dad during basketball season as he reffed a game I coached in...He stated that there was VERY little chance of him skipping his senior season of football. It makes sense, play both and if he decides to go the baseball route, he can use the NFL as leverage for a better contract. However, I think he'll end up playing pro football--just a hunch.

If he skipped his senior year to play pro baseball, that would just mean one more year in the minors. I've read studies that players who played basketball in college got to the major leagues just as fast as did players who skipped college and went directly to professional baseball. Those who went pro right out of high school just spent a lot more time in the minors.

I don't know if he will play pro football or baseball. But his draft position will just get better by playing his senior year.

But his draft position will just get better by playing his senior year.

Maybe, if he plays well, he'd be drafted higher next year. (Additional exposure doesn't always make a guy's stock rise--remember Rick Rickert?) Even if he were to improve his draft position, that won't necessarily result in a bigger bonus. I think the leverage he'd lose by coming back next year would outweigh the gains he'd make by moving up a few rounds in the draft. The reason most guys drafted in the 35th round get $5,000 to sign is that MLB teams aren't too worried they are going to lose a guy whose next best option is taking an entry level position at a bank or on an assembly line. Someone who has a legitimate second option doing something perceived as desirable and earning as much or more than he could earn playing baseball is a rarity. Eric Decker may be that case.

He'd probably have the fact he's drafted in the 2nd round of the NFL draft as leverage.

Not to mention, I don't care how much leverage you have if you're not a super high level prospect they aren't going to give you the farm. So his leverage to return to college football moves his $5k singing bonus to what? $25k $50k? It sure isn't going to move it to a number that outweighs him going the football route unless he just flat out doesn't want to play football anymore and that's not likely.

I doubt seriously that Decker will choose riding a bus playing minor league games over the next 2-4 years for peanuts versus riding in charter air planes and playing in front of tens of thousands for a few million dollars.:rolleyes:

granted, the guy may only be a decent college baseball player at best, but he also only plays baseball for what, 4 months of the year?

if he wanted to play baseball i think that he would have a good chance of playing in the bigs.

he's fast. most major league teams would love to have a guy with his speed and hands patrolling center field.

he doesn't have to hit for average if he can hit for power, and he has the build to hit for power.

i don't know anything about his arm, but if he can hit for power, run the bases with speed and field, then he could be a four tool player. not many of those playing for my team.

i think that if he spent a couple years working on his batting in the minors he could develop enough of an offensive threat to be an asset to a major league team.

center fielders don't need to hit for average. if he has the defensive ability, base running skills as well as threaten to hit 15 to 20 HRs a year he would be an above average center fielder.

depends where his passion lies.

Top Bottom