One Time Transfer Rule Vote Pushed to Jan 2021

DeathClutch

Reaction score
Now we have to rely on the NCAA random decision generator for Liam Robbins to be eligible.

Now we have to rely on the NCAA random decision generator for Liam Robbins to be eligible.

It's not as random as we want it to be. NCAA has been giving waivers at like over a 95% clip as long as the the other school doesn't oppose it. That's why Carr's wasn't approved. Now that being said, who knows if Drake will approve it considering it was quite obvious there was tampering.

Robbins doesn't have a leg to stand on. No family hardship, extended family that didn't raise him, moving farther away from home.

It will be a matter of if they can somehow weave covid19 into the narrative, and then hope that they grant the waiver under the old way.

Of course..they'll deny his waiver. And Carr will probably stay in the draft too.

Robbins doesn't have a leg to stand on. No family hardship, extended family that didn't raise him, moving farther away from home.

It will be a matter of if they can somehow weave covid19 into the narrative, and then hope that they grant the waiver under the old way.
It wouldn’t be the first time that a player with no leg to stand on got a waiver for immediate eligibility, so I think there’s still a bit of hope. Plus maybe they’ll be lenient in general with COVID 19.

It wouldn’t be the first time that a player with no leg to stand on got a waiver for immediate eligibility, so I think there’s still a bit of hope. Plus maybe they’ll be lenient in general with COVID 19.
They’re supposed to be. Not sure what that will ultimately translate to.

He has a chance.

Trying to predict what the NCAA will do is a hopeless venture.

There literally seems to be no rhyme or reason to their decisions. I swear someone is actually throwing darts at a wall.

But - the point is - Pitino must prepare for next season based on the premise that Robbins and any other new transfers will NOT receive waivers. (unless it's a Grad Transfer.)

if Robbins gets a waiver - great. you're ahead of the game. but if you plan your season around him, and he's not eligible, then you are hosed.

If justin fields got one last year for ohio state, then everyone should get one!

Trying to predict what the NCAA will do is a hopeless venture.

There literally seems to be no rhyme or reason to their decisions. I swear someone is actually throwing darts at a wall.

But - the point is - Pitino must prepare for next season based on the premise that Robbins and any other new transfers will NOT receive waivers. (unless it's a Grad Transfer.)

if Robbins gets a waiver - great. you're ahead of the game. but if you plan your season around him, and he's not eligible, then you are hosed.
Then they have to go after a grad transfer big, don't they? Unless they feel strongly that Freeman and/or Curry can hold the position down with some help from Omersa, or are willing to roll the dice that they can.

Then they have to go after a grad transfer big, don't they? Unless they feel strongly that Freeman and/or Curry can hold the position down with some help from Omersa, or are willing to roll the dice that they can.

The did get a power forward grad transfer who could help. Getting a decent grad transfer center would be tough at this point given that they have a presumptive starter at the position if he does clear waivers.

The did get a power forward grad transfer who could help. Getting a decent grad transfer center would be tough at this point given that they have a presumptive starter at the position if he does clear waivers.
Yeah, I guess that can't really work. Then I hope they rule on his waiver, one way or the other, as soon as possible.

So that means, of course, we won't find out until right before the semester starts, that they're denying his waiver.

It's not as random as we want it to be. NCAA has been giving waivers at like over a 95% clip as long as the the other school doesn't oppose it. That's why Carr's wasn't approved. Now that being said, who knows if Drake will approve it considering it was quite obvious there was tampering.

I'm not doubting the possibility, but what makes it obvious?

I'm not doubting the possibility, but what makes it obvious?

Just the timing of how quickly he announced a transfer and then committed makes it almost impossible. I get the uncle on staff factor, but it's hard to see it. Similar to Easton going to Michigan. Hard to make that big of a choice that quickly without some prior conversations.

Just the timing of how quickly he announced a transfer and then committed makes it almost impossible. I get the uncle on staff factor, but it's hard to see it. Similar to Easton going to Michigan. Hard to make that big of a choice that quickly without some prior conversations.

Again, I don't doubt it, but he easily could have decided on his own that he wanted to play for his uncle and knew that's what he wanted to do before putting his name in the portal, then immediately contacted his uncle after and got offered on the spot.

Let's say for the sake of argument that the Gophers do find a Grad Transfer Center - and then Robbins does get the waiver.

Why is that a bad thing? Gives you more depth. Means you do not have to shove an undersized player into the post if the starter gets in foul trouble.

And gives Robbins more time to acclimate to B1G play. Potential is wonderful, but the guy was playing for Drake. it's a big jump from playing against Valpo or Northern Iowa to playing against Michigan State, Maryland or Illinois.

if you can land a Grad transfer Center, do it. I see it as a win-win.

Let's say for the sake of argument that the Gophers do find a Grad Transfer Center - and then Robbins does get the waiver.

Why is that a bad thing? Gives you more depth. Means you do not have to shove an undersized player into the post if the starter gets in foul trouble.

And gives Robbins more time to acclimate to B1G play. Potential is wonderful, but the guy was playing for Drake. it's a big jump from playing against Valpo or Northern Iowa to playing against Michigan State, Maryland or Illinois.

Seems valid to me. Always grateful that i am not the one building a roster because you need a lot of what you planned for to work and then you need to do it better than the guys your going against.

Again, I don't doubt it, but he easily could have decided on his own that he wanted to play for his uncle and knew that's what he wanted to do before putting his name in the portal, then immediately contacted his uncle after and got offered on the spot.
He would've taken the chance that the Gophers wanted him, without at least putting a feeler out to the uncle and or coaching staff? Seriously doubt it. What if the Gophers were about to sign someone else, now he's left Drake with no firm plan. Whoops. That'd be a silly risk to take.

But I also doubt anything could be proven. As long as you can't show emails or text messages saying something extraordinarily stupid, that is obviously tampering, then that's kinda that.

Also, I'm no expert on the rules, but I wonder if the tampering language has anything to say as far as differentiating the cases of where the athlete contacts the other school first, as opposed to the other way around.

From our point of view, this is exactly correct.

But think about it from the point of view of the grad transfer. This is your last year, last chance to do something. You either want to play as much as possible, and/or you want to be on a winning team.

With Robbins hoping to get a waiver, until that is known, that kinda puts playing time into doubt. And who knows if the Gophers will be better than last year, which wasn't exactly a "winning" team.

Seems valid to me. Always grateful that i am not the one building a roster because you need a lot of what you planned for to work and then you need to do it better than the guys your going against.
I’ve seen the do it better than everyone else comment a few times, so I’ll react a bit here since this particular thread is doomed anyway...

At some point, a coach needs to worry about what they can control. Maybe this is a semantic difference, but I’ve always felt that Wisconsin does best year in and year out is develop their players, execute their game plan, and grow as a team - all things that should happen almost independently from what everyone else is doing. From my view on the outside, it seems like their measuring stick is internal. In terms of roster construction, a strategy based on growth and development removes a lot of the external variability. As fans and observes we can compare in real time, but hopefully Pitino is not racing horses instead of recruiting and developing to establish a specific system and intentional style of ball.

Anyways, the product has to be better at the end of the day, but it seems like some teams trust a formula and process more than others. Who knows, maybe I’m being to theoretical. After all, just win baby.

I’ve seen the do it better than everyone else comment a few times, so I’ll react a bit here since this particular thread is doomed anyway...

At some point, a coach needs to worry about what they can control. Maybe this is a semantic difference, but I’ve always felt that Wisconsin does best year in and year out is develop their players, execute their game plan, and grow as a team - all things that should happen almost independently from what everyone else is doing. From my view on the outside, it seems like their measuring stick is internal. In terms of roster construction, a strategy based on growth and development removes a lot of the external variability. As fans and observes we can compare in real time, but hopefully Pitino is not racing horses instead of recruiting and developing to establish a specific system and intentional style of ball.

Anyways, the product has to be better at the end of the day, but it seems like some teams trust a formula and process more than others.
Well stated. UW built that model based solely on one thing. To build a culture and follow a plan that would allow them to be successful at the highest level . They built it on the study of why so many had tried so many things and failed decade after decade and found people that were schooled in the simplicity of fundamentals , taking great shots, taking care of the ball, playing bloodletting defense with experienced teams. They understood you could not beat them in recruiting the highest gifted athletic players so they devise a plan from their own experience, knowledge and insight to emphasize the under rated itangibles as athletic skill like reaction time, thinking well, court IQ, work ethic as it relates to conditioning., quickness in small spaces, reaction to pressure and on and on. Easier said then done as you have to find the skilled architect of detail, a eye for the translation of those talents combined with tremendous character. But together really well it allows for winning a great deal. They looked at how poorly programs performed against the better programs not only head to head but how the never won the conference then went to the analytics for help. They knew they did not have the raw talent to simply outscore the other team and the numbers showed winning % of less than 18 % when giving up more than 75 points ! Not only did the defense prove successful in winning games but now it is even better reflected in a shorter shot clock when some thought would hurt those programs by speeding up the game, it actually helped the great defensive programs because their opponents had a even more difficulty finding a quality shot sooner ! This all started a really long time ago when they knew that if putting the ball in the basket seemed to be the only objective it seemed logical to say that stopping someone from putting it in the basket was at least equally important.

Well stated. UW built that model based solely on one thing. To build a culture and follow a plan that would allow them to be successful at the highest level . They built it on the study of why so many had tried so many things and failed decade after decade and found people that were schooled in the simplicity of fundamentals , taking great shots, taking care of the ball, playing bloodletting defense with experienced teams. They understood you could not beat them in recruiting the highest gifted athletic players so they devise a plan from their own experience, knowledge and insight to emphasize the under rated itangibles as athletic skill like reaction time, thinking well, court IQ, work ethic as it relates to conditioning., quickness in small spaces, reaction to pressure and on and on. Easier said then done as you have to find the skilled architect of detail, a eye for the translation of those talents combined with tremendous character. But together really well it allows for winning a great deal. They looked at how poorly programs performed against the better programs not only head to head but how the never won the conference then went to the analytics for help. They knew they did not have the raw talent to simply outscore the other team and the numbers showed winning % of less than 18 % when giving up more than 75 points ! Not only did the defense prove successful in winning games but now it is even better reflected in a shorter shot clock when some thought would hurt those programs by speeding up the game, it actually helped the great defensive programs because their opponents had a even more difficulty finding a quality shot sooner ! This all started a really long time ago when they knew that if putting the ball in the basket seemed to be the only objective it seemed logical to say that stopping someone from putting it in the basket was at least equally important.
Interesting perspective on the shot clock favoring better defense. I hadn’t seen anything on that. Makes logical sense if the strong defensive team can earn the same quality looks on the offensive end. But i (along with many) probably expected the production of the swing offense to dip for the same reasons. Not to poke holes at Wisconsin but I

Bringing this back around to Pitino - I still am not sure what style he is striving to achieve, and we don’t even know if his idealized peak will succeed in the big ten. We often end up with patchwork rosters and every year we have to draw something up to overcome a weakness. What is the Pitino system?

Interesting perspective on the shot clock favoring better defense. I hadn’t seen anything on that. Makes logical sense if the strong defensive team can earn the same quality looks on the offensive end. But i (along with many) probably expected the production of the swing offense to dip for the same reasons. Not to poke holes at Wisconsin but I

Bringing this back around to Pitino - I still am not sure what style he is striving to achieve, and we don’t even know if his idealized peak will succeed in the big ten. We often end up with patchwork rosters and every year we have to draw something up to overcome a weakness. What is the Pitino system?
No problem, i do not take it personally when someone pokes holes at the teams i follow.

No problem, i do not take it personally when someone pokes holes at the teams i follow.
Ha, I actually meant to delete that part since it seemed extraneous to take that thought further... was going to say Wisconsin seemed to “escape” a dip in results this past season due to a late season spike in team wide shooting percentage from 3 that coincided with their win streak... but they fulfilled their identity with that hot streak. Their best shooting was in the last 8-9 games. Hard to say it’s not random, (since I think I’ve seen 1/6 games are a complete crapshoot because one team is ice cold or red hot) but good teams surge at the end.

Ha, I actually meant to delete that part since it seemed extraneous to take that thought further... was going to say Wisconsin seemed to “escape” a dip in results this past season due to a late season spike in team wide shooting percentage from 3 that coincided with their win streak... but they fulfilled their identity with that hot streak. Their best shooting was in the last 8-9 games. Hard to say it’s not random, (since I think I’ve seen 1/6 games are a complete crapshoot because one team is ice cold or red hot) but good teams surge at the end.
I did not take your comments as a shot at UW .

Top Bottom