One-time Gopher offer Tamir Lipsey commits to Iowa State

Chris Monter

Reaction score
Tamir Lipsey, a 2022 guard from Ames (IA) High, committed to Iowa State. He had a Gopher offer under Richard Pitino, but new Minnesota head coach Ben Johnson had yet to extend an offer.

1618475245423.png

He also from had an offer from Hoiberg (who was a high school star at Ames and played at ISU as well as being a former coach at that school) but didn't go to Nebraska either.

Is this one supposed to hurt? I don't feel the pain.

Last edited:

All of the good players we offer that go elsewhere hurt. We’re scraping together a team from low major leftover transfers. It would be nice to start landing some 2022 HS commits so we’re not following this same plan next year, too.

He also from had an offer from Hoiberg (who was a high school star at Ames and played at ISU as well as being a former coach at that school) and didn't go to Nebraska either.

I don't think the OP hinted that it was supposed to hurt. He actually went out of his way to describe Ben's lack of interest in him . There are always threads of Gopher targets committing elsewhere. I wouldn't read into this one anymore than that.

All of the good players we offer that go elsewhere hurt. We’re scraping together a team from low major leftover transfers. It would be nice to start landing some 2022 HS commits so we’re not following this same plan next year, too.

How do you know this guy is that good? We're getting some of the best and most experienced players from second tier mid-major teams. Maybe they won't be great but they're not "leftovers." Chances are they will be better as fifth year seniors next year than this guy will be as a freshman.

He actually went out of his way to describe Ben's lack of interest in him .

Yes, he said that Minnesota gave him an offer but Ben didn't extend that. I read that as a jab at Ben. Do you honestly think he posted this to compliment Ben for his taste in players by not pursuing this one? That would be a first.

Yes, he said that Minnesota gave him an offer but Ben didn't extend that. I read that as a jab at Ben. Do you honestly think he posted this to compliment Ben for his taste in players by not pursuing this one? That would be a first.

I could be wrong, I don't know the background of Chris Monter.

I took that as essentially saying "we cooled on him" which has always been a defense of the coach and not a jab. It's almost like saying "I didn't like you anyway". I think if Ben didn't extend him an offer, we weren't that interested in him. So essentially we lost someone we weren't interested in.

He also from had an offer from Hoiberg (who was a high school star at Ames and played at ISU as well as being a former coach at that school) but didn't go to Nebraska either.

Exactly. So a kid that Johnson didn't offer is going to a completely rebuilding Iowa State? Um, okay. Thanks for the info?

I took that as essentially saying "we cooled on him" which has always been a defense of the coach and not a jab. It's almost like saying "I didn't like you anyway". I think if Ben didn't extend him an offer, we weren't that interested in him. So essentially we lost someone we weren't interested in.

Like I said, that would be a first. People expressing the thoughts you mention are those replying to a post criticizing a coach for not pursuing a player. Someone doesn't start a thread about an offered player going elsewhere to say "Thanks, coach! I'm glad we missed on this one."

Connection people are not making....Tamin plays on D1Minnesota along with Eli King, and many top players in the state are in that program. Not sure what it means for certain, but it does not help Minnesota recruiting.

Connection people are not making....Tamin plays on D1Minnesota along with Eli King, and many top players in the state are in that program. Not sure what it means for certain, but it does not help Minnesota recruiting.
Are you saying that because Lipsey grew up in Ames and decided to stay home we need to worry about Eli?

Number 1 recruit in Iowa. That’s good enough for me. Johnson needs to get out of office and start recruiting. Spend less time worrying about Brooklyn Center and more time about future Gophers.

Are you saying that because Lipsey grew up in Ames and decided to stay home we need to worry about Eli?
I am saying Eli and Tamin are friends and teammates...they talk. Tamin sells Eli on Iowa State. Eli's brother played for the Iowa State coach at a previous stop.

What if the new staff simply did not see a fit.
Possible. They cannot reach everyone. Tamin was on the US team that won a gold medal at the U16 world games. Blew his knee the next year and will be healthy this summer. Point being that though he is an Iowa kid, he is a D1Minnesota kid too. He will have influence on others.

Number 1 recruit in Iowa. That’s good enough for me. Johnson needs to get out of office and start recruiting. Spend less time worrying about Brooklyn Center and more time about future Gophers.
#1 recruit in the state means something special to you? Maybe he was on his way to Alaska to check out their #1 recruit. Good grief.

I am saying Eli and Tamin are friends and teammates...they talk. Tamin sells Eli on Iowa State. Eli's brother played for the Iowa State coach at a previous stop.
I will take your word that you know what you're talking about with them being friends and whatnot. My rebuttal is that if Eli is gonna go to ISU because of Tamin then they must be REALLY close. You can't convince me that a team that won 2 games last year has more to sell Eli than the Gophers do.

Possible. They cannot reach everyone. Tamin was on the US team that won a gold medal at the U16 world games. Blew his knee the next year and will be healthy this summer. Point being that though he is an Iowa kid, he is a D1Minnesota kid too. He will have influence on others.
Kinda like the influence the D1 MN kids had on Joe Hurlburt?

I will take your word that you know what you're talking about with them being friends and whatnot. My rebuttal is that if Eli is gonna go to ISU because of Tamin then they must be REALLY close. You can't convince me that a team that won 2 games last year has more to sell Eli than the Gophers do.
Have you looked at the rosters lately? Neither team is done, but Iowa State have turned nearly everyone over and has upgraded with each exchange. Remember, recruiting is a relationship game...you did not acknowledge the relationship between the King family and Iowa State's coach. Not sure what will happen but I was originally posting to back up the reason Chris posted this in the first place. This news does not help the Gophers.

Have you looked at the rosters lately? Neither team is done, but Iowa State have turned nearly everyone over and has upgraded with each exchange. Remember, recruiting is a relationship game...you did not acknowledge the relationship between the King family and Iowa State's coach. Not sure what will happen but I was originally posting to back up the reason Chris posted this in the first place. This news does not help the Gophers.
It may not help us, but I still choose to believe at face value it means no more than Lipsey wanted to stay home.

True, but what does it mean for King? That is what only time will tell, and was the point of this post.

Every time I think I've read the dumbest post here already someone surprises me with an even dumber one.

Every time I think I've read the dumbest post here already someone surprises me with an even dumber one.
Cannot disagree. That is perhaps the dumbest, corn fed, inbred, Iowian comment I’ve seen posted here in many months. Slop me a hog muthafuka!

Feel like Iowa is taking everyone we are interested in lol. Damn what do they have on us? It's freaking Iowa.

I could be wrong, I don't know the background of Chris Monter.

Maybe BJ is feeling pretty good about getting a commitment from Tre Holloman and didn't want to upset that situation by going after another PG hard in the same class.

Top Bottom