One of the best CFP semi-finals ever?

SeaBee_Gopher

Reaction score
Both games came down to the last play and were competitive mostly throughout. Texas almost pulled off a miracle comeback and Michigan did comeback.

Do you agree Washington and Michigan are not in the championship game without the portal? Well, this can’t even be argued with Washington having gotten Penix from the portal, but it’s well known Michigan has been very active in the portal too. Neither are top tier recruiters. To me, Michigan is more second tier and Washington third tier. The portal made up the difference. Neither has won a championship in over 25 years!

It’s an all B1G final too which I admit I’m biased and like. I hope this is more good proof of increased parity and hope the 12 team playoff improves it more. My apologies to those of you that dislike Michigan. There are multiple reasons to feel that way.
https://www.maizenbrew.com/platform...ace-aj-barner-drake-nugent-ladarius-henderson

Washington with a couple self inflicted situations that made that game go down to the wire. I hope Vikes take a hard look at Penix if he is still available for their 2nd round pick.

Washington with a couple self inflicted situations that made that game go down to the wire. I hope Vikes take a hard look at Penix if he is still available for their 2nd round pick.
I agree on Penix. I was glad Washington made some mistakes because it made the game a lot more fun at the end. I wanted them to win, but not so badly that I didn't want a good game.

I wasn't sold on him when he was at Indiana, but he was throwing lasers last night.

The gophers weren’t playing in it so gonna have to say it wasn’t one of the best ever

I wasn't sold on him when he was at Indiana, but he was throwing lasers last night.
Penix was the example I would point at when talking about AK. Penix at Indiana showed flashes of his ability and talent, but his season stats told the tale of a mediocre at best QB. Transferring to Washington and landing with an offense/QB coach that knows what he needs and how to play to his strengths helped him tremendously. I think its possible we see a similar evolution for AK depending on where he lands.

Of course, the Pac-12 has always been a pass first, high scoring offense conference and so the WR talent Penix has surrounding him at Washington absolutely helped his stats as well.

I thought Penix was projected to mid-first round.

I thought Penix was projected to mid-first round.
Haven't seen the latest the projections, but mid-first sounds about right. If he has a monster game against Michigan his stock will go even higher. A few things not in his favor however, he has been injury-prone - suffered two ACL tears (technically a tear and a re-tear in the same knee) and a dislocated SC joint in his non-throwing shoulder. More importantly though (and I'm no expert, just what I have read), his throwing style is a bit of a windup - not bad as Tebow's, but has a small hitch that has rarely been successful in the pros. Footwork isn't great, but that can be coached up. But throwing style - you are what you have, can't be changed at this stage of one's career.

The games were really good and it was nice to watch a college football game with experienced players instead of guys that were filling in last minute for transfers and opt outs.

I’d take him too. I think he’s gone in the late first though. He’s a bit older and has a few flaws but he throws a great deep ball.

I wonder if his 2 serious knee surgeries will scare off some NFL teams. Would the Vikings roll the dice and trade up? Will Penix fell far enough to be available if they keep their #1?

Penix had great games against PSU and tOSU in ‘20. Seemed obvious Washington was getting a great QB when he transferred, provided his knees were OK.

I just heard a few more examples of how the portal allowed Michigan to compete with and beat Alabama in the "Eyes on B1G" podcast. With about seven minutes left, the Michigan guy on the podcast noted how Josiah Stewart is a transfer from Coastal Carolina. He's the guy that pushed Alabama's 5-star offensive tackle, JC Latham, back into Jalen Milroe and tripped him up on that last fourth down play that ended the game.

In addition, he mentioned how Michigan lost linebacker, Junior Colson, to injury during the game and he was replaced seamlessly by Nebraska transfer, Ernest Hausmann, etc., etc.

Top Bottom