One more night game this season?

dpodoll68

Elite Poster
Reaction score
I heard a rumor (emphasis on rumor - no basis in fact whatsoever) from someone yesterday who claims to "know someone in the know" and he claims that this "in the know" person (stadium ops guy) told him that there'd be one more night game this season. He claims that stadium ops guy was told (by the Big Ten?) to be ready for one more night game this season and to prepare for it accordingly. If true, given the Big Ten's "no night games in November" policy, it would have to be Purdue. I know that Nebraska/Michigan is already a night game on that date, so might we be the second? It would be sweet if true.

Fingers are crossed. Memories of Michigan State 2009 dancing in my head...

Awesome, that would be very cool being Halloween weekend again.

I would think TV would want NW with 2 cinderellas playing for the division lead but that time is already set.

All the other five games that day have times. The two 11 am games are listed as (ESPN, ESPN2 or BTN) so if all three require a Big Ten game the game would be 11. They sometimes show ACC at 11 on the ESPNs.

But there is no primetime BTN game that night and just checked their sked and they're not showing volleyball or hockey that night.

With the huge success of the 'Cuse night game, why not have another? Also a chance to keep the Halloween Weekend Night game at TCF tradition going...which is averynice

Would be great to see this happen, especially that weekend.

I missed the Syracuse game.. and was bummed that it was the only night game. But if this deems true, I will be jacked about being able to go.

If true, we could consider this a dress rehearsal for when the Gophers and Boilermakers meet again in the Big Ten Football Championship Game which is also at night. ;)

Per the Purdue rivals site, B1G night games are determined prior to the season. The only TBA is 11am or 2:30.

I still hate the whole "No Night Games in November" policy. If they can play night games in the NFC North in January, we can handle one night game in November every once in a while.

Hope this is true. How many years in a row have we had a night game Halloween weekend? I know it frustrated a lot of parents when it landed on Halloween, but other than that I think it's been a pretty fun atmosphere.

Per the Purdue rivals site, B1G night games are determined prior to the season. The only TBA is 11am or 2:30.

This is true for one-sided decisions. I.E. at the beginning of the season, the Gopher can say we want to schedule this game at night, and their opponent doesn't have a say in the matter. Once the season starts it can happen, but Purdue would have to ok the switch if I remember right. If they say no, then it has to stay an 11 or 2:30. I'm pretty sure this happened with either WI or IA a couple years ago where the opponent said ok so the game was moved to 7:00. \\

All the major TV prime time games are set ahead of time, that is correct. However if the BTN is willing to cover the game at 7, then TV isn't a problem. The only set in stone rule is no night games in November.

However, if I had to guess it probably won't happen. I'm sure the U was emboldened to try and make it happen after seeing the atmosphere last weekend, but I'm guessing there are just a few too many hoops to go through.

This thread is pointless. Anyone in management would always say "prepare for ...." and that's all that really happened to your 'friend of a friend of...' This is about as accurate of news as you'll find on Fox, CNN, or MSNBC.

This thread is pointless. Anyone in management would always say "prepare for ...." and that's all that really happened to your 'friend of a friend of...' This is about as accurate of news as you'll find on Fox, CNN, or MSNBC.

That's why I emphasized the word "rumor", numbnuts. The person I heard it from is not my friend, neither did I state nor imply that. I never even remotely stated that it was "news" or anything approaching it. Pointless reply.

magpie, that comment almost earned you to dpodoll/dumbassery comment award.

Hope this is true. How many years in a row have we had a night game Halloween weekend? I know it frustrated a lot of parents when it landed on Halloween, but other than that I think it's been a pretty fun atmosphere.

I don't know the answer to that question (Nor do I care) but Halloween night games have to be rare. First, October the 31st moves every year by at least one day. Second, it could be also an away game for us. The combination of those two factors means over time there is about one in fourteen chance each year for a Halloween night game here each year. Now if you want people to be concerned about game times, just mention 11:00 am starts. I am sure that will get a lot more people’s attention.:)

The odds are more like 1 in 7, people won't differentiate if Halloween falls on either Saturday or Sunday, it'll be considered a Halloween Game.

Not happening, Doogie says:

@DarrenWolfson I know there was a little buzz today about the #Gophers-Purdue football game being at night. Per MN assoc. AD Marc Ryan, it won't be.

Awwww, that's too bad, oh well, don't care what time of the day it is, if they're winning haha

For the record the Purdue weekend would also work hockey-wise. They have a Friday/Sunday home split, so no game Saturday night.

I would think TV would want NW with 2 cinderellas playing for the division lead but that time is already set.

Also, hockey plays MSU that night. No way to run both events at the same time given the parking constraints.

I don't believe the B1G allows any member to switch a game from day to night after the season begins (in this modern TV era).

As stated right above your post, the 2nd game of that series is Sunday, so no issues there.
Not talking about Purdue. Was replying to someone talking about Northwestern. On homecoming weekend the 2nd game is on Saturday night.

Top Bottom