On their last 21 plays, the Gophers ran 21 times and used 6+ OL 18 times.

Rotating players that have a role is unstoppable if everyone is executing. Few teams can do it.

I'm happy that, although we may appear one dimensional, we still have the potential to open up a passing game. I like that we can overpower teams and control a game consistently sustaining 10+ play drives.

I love a running game. I've had the opportunity to cheer for some great Gophers RBs in my time, from Darrell Thompson to Chris Darkins, Marion Barber III, David Cobb, and many others.

I'm not sure I like running on 20+ consecutive plays, but it beats throwing on 20 in a row.

I think running 20 times in a row is much more enjoyable than throwing 20 times because you can’t run the ball successfully.

I love a running game. I've had the opportunity to cheer for some great Gophers RBs in my time, from Darrell Thompson to Chris Darkins, Marion Barber III, David Cobb, and many others.

I'm not sure I like running on 20+ consecutive plays, but it beats throwing on 20 in a row.

I love running 20+ times in a row. It indicates dominance. When was the last time a Minnesota team, pro or otherwise, was dominant?

20+ consecutive, successful running plays effectively pulverizes your opponent. They become thoroughly demoralized.

I love running 20+ times in a row. It indicates dominance. When was the last time a Minnesota team, pro or otherwise, was dominant?

20+ consecutive, successful running plays effectively pulverizes your opponent. They become thoroughly demoralized.
'09 Vikings were dominant. '03 Timberwolves. '19 Gophers could make an argument. '13 Gopher Mens Hockey & many lynx and women's gopher hockey teams. 0 championships for the mens teams though 😞

We hear Fleck's offense referred to as Tresselball, but I think we might be seeing what could have happened under Mason if he ever figured out his defense.

Mason teams were dominant at running the ball but could also throw when needed. Their biggest issue was that the defense never kept pace with the offense.

There were many times under Mason where we would just dominate teams with the running game, to the point where they absolutely knew what was coming and there wasn't a single thing they could do about it. We saw that on Saturday against Maryland where they knew we were going to run the ball and it didn't matter.

Depends if you are getting first downs. Army ran 30 times in a row against Whisky. It was pretty if you like to punt a lot.

Reffed a team the other night where the QB turned to me and said we've called the same play 8 times in a row. Running play and it was working. I said, if it ain't broke.

Was never really of fan of Mason passing game. It always seem to be sideline routes and 50/50 balls. I did like the use of the TE.

Fleck's offense if well rounded, he just chooses to get conservative and grind with the lead.

Depends if you are getting first downs. Army ran 30 times in a row against Whisky. It was pretty if you like to punt a lot.

Army ran the ball 50 times. Wisconsin ran the ball 43 times. Each team had 5 punts.

The following week against Purdue, Wisconsin ran 51 times. The Badgers had 5 punts.
Purdue ran 24 times, threw 38 passes, and the Boilers had — wait for it — 5 punts.

Seems like 5 punts keeps popping up, whether a team runs 50 times or passes 40 times. Is 5 punts considered "a lot"?

Army ran the ball 50 times. Wisconsin ran the ball 43 times. Each team had 5 punts.

The following week against Purdue, Wisconsin ran 51 times. The Badgers had 5 punts.
Purdue ran 24 times, threw 38 passes, and the Boilers had — wait for it — 5 punts.

Seems like 5 punts keeps popping up, whether a team runs 50 times or passes 40 times. Is 5 punts considered "a lot"?
Did you have a point you were fumbling to try to make? The statement you responded to said running 21 straight times is OK if you are making first downs.

Well, our punter made his only appearance deep into the 4th quarter. So, yeah, that's a lot.

Did you have a point you were fumbling to try to make? The statement you responded to said running 21 straight times is OK if you are making first downs.

Oh, my point has been made — once again.

Good point.

It seems to me that the number of times a team runs the ball is not directly related to number of times they punt.
Nope, only related to the number of times they go three and out.

Oh, my point has been made — once again.
Your point seems to be, running is always good. My contention is running is often better when mixed with passing. The objective of ball control is to make first downs. That often is enhanced with a balanced attack, not one featuring 20, 30, or 100 straight of anything, run or pass.

You're saying — what, exactly? That a team that runs more will go three-and-out more?
The team that gives the defense the least options to cover will go three-and-out more often than if it had a more balanced attack that forced the defense to account for both run and pass threats.

Your point seems to be, running is always good. My contention is running is often better when mixed with passing. The objective of ball control is to make first downs. That often is enhanced with a balanced attack, not one featuring 20, 30, or 100 straight of anything, run or pass.

Ohhhhhhhhhh! That's what you were saying!

Please share your observations on the pass-run balance in the Gophers big win over Maryland. What did you think of Wisconsin's "balanced attack" against Purdue?

The team that gives the defense the least options to cover will go three-and-out more often than if it had a more balanced attack that forced the defense to account for both run and pass threats.

I see.

Ohhhhhhhhhh! That's what you were saying!

Please share your observations on the pass-run balance in the Gophers big win over Maryland. What did you think of Wisconsin's "balanced attack" against Purdue?
Maryland win is in the bank. Critiquing offense is not to see how we could have scored three more points against Maryland or Nebraska. It is only about what gives us the best chance to win next week and the week after that.

Now, would you please share your observations about the overall body of work done by Mike Sanford in his tenure as Gopher OC?

Maryland win is in the bank. Critiquing offense is not to see how we could have scored three more points against Maryland or Nebraska. It is only about what gives us the best chance to win next week and the week after that.

Now, would you please share your observations about the overall body of work done by Mike Sanford in his tenure as Gopher OC?

I'd rate it pretty highly.

Sanford's boss, P.J. Fleck, strongly believes an offense should run first, chew the clock, protect the ball, give your defense rest, and keep the opponents' offense off the field. Sanford's offense has done all of that quite successfully, despite losing their All American Heisman candidate running back — and his replacement — to injury.

Fleck's offensive philosophy — and Sanford's implementation of it — has been effective so far this season. The Gophers are tied for first in the West and they control their own destiny going forward. So as far as "giving us a chance to win" goes, it has worked quite well. They are winning.

I'd rate it pretty highly.

Sanford's boss, P.J. Fleck, strongly believes an offense should run first, chew the clock, protect the ball, give your defense rest, and keep the opponents' offense off the field. Sanford's offense has done all of that quite successfully, despite losing their All American Heisman candidate running back — and his replacement — to injury.

Fleck's offensive philosophy — and Sanford's implementation of it — has been effective so far this season. The Gophers are tied for first in the West and they control their own destiny going forward. So as far as "giving us a chance to win" goes, it has worked quite well. They are winning.
We are not so far apart in our assessment. I call his performance fairly good and improving with failure to make adjustments 2nd half Miami and entirety of BG being glaring exceptions. Fleck's fatal error in first half of BG could have been easily overcome by far superior team had Sanford adjjusted.

Top Bottom