On a positive note

Rosemountian

Reaction score
I thought Tubby's rotation was 1000 times better yesterday than the previous 3 games.

I thought Tubby's rotation was 1000 times better yesterday than the previous 3 games.

Agreed. Very little 5 subs at the same time. It was nice. Actually didn't mind letting Dre play the 2 a little either.

Thanks for pointing this out!

Having Dre play the two was the only time our offense was clicking, Mav is a true point guard, and despite what people on here say/think, is an upgrade over welch.

Having Dre play the two was the only time our offense was clicking, Mav is a true point guard, and despite what people on here say/think, is an upgrade over welch.

Agreed. The lack of a true point guard on this team means Andre commits alot of TOs and does not get as many shots as he should. If Justin Cobb had stuck around or if Tubby had recruited a PG since then the team could sit Coleman and play Dre at SG. After the Al Nolen injury/Hoff to point guard disaster/collapse you would have thought Tubby would never fielded a team without 2 capable point guards. And no Julian Welch does not count. Tubby now has scholarships to give and should have offered to Edina's Woodward who has a scholarship from Penn St and IMO is far better than Mav or Julian.

Welch is better at the 2, they are pretty even at the 1.

Our biggest problem is that neither should really be playing meaningful minutes for a top 25 basketball team.

When Coleman and Austin are playing poorly you get these two more time, when they are playing well you let Dre run the point. I think he did a good job with them last night. Put them in positions to be successful, didn't ask them to do too much.

There are other positives. I'll go back to, we just about beat a tough Bucky at Kohl even though three of our starters were essentially boat anchors that day. To be quite honest, had this not been the latest loss in a four-game losing streak, it would be stomach-able. The team was checked in mentally, which they were not against Michigan and Northwestern. I remember that the 1982 Big Ten champs lost on the road to a Wisconsin team far inferior to this one and still persevered to win the league. It's just that, in context of the losing streak and what it means to the team's aspirations and the way the game ended, it represents a bad trend and leaves a sinking feeling.

There are other positives. I'll go back to, we just about beat a tough Bucky at Kohl even though three of our starters were essentially boat anchors that day. To be quite honest, had this not been the latest loss in a four-game losing streak, it would be stomach-able. The team was checked in mentally, which they were not against Michigan and Northwestern. I remember that the 1982 Big Ten champs lost on the road to a Wisconsin team far inferior to this one and still persevered to win the league. It's just that, in context of the losing streak and what it means to the team's aspirations and the way the game ended, it represents a bad trend and leaves a sinking feeling.

Perfectly stated as usual.

The 97 team also loss at Madison, I think Bo's lost 15 times in his tenure there. On another note Tubby's gophers have more wins at Assembly hall (both of them) than at Northwestern

I liked Tubby's use of bench in first half as well.

My problem was Tubby inserting Mo Walker into second half when he didn't play a minute in the first half. I thought Mo was exposed defensively and picked up two quick fouls (which put Bucky in bonus...somehow them being in bonus for the last 15 minutes of game time didn't kill us...weird). That's when Bucky extended the lead to a whopping five points...which is a huge lead in that particular game.

I'm just trying to figure out where and when he's going to get minutes against anybody in B1G. Too many mismatches with just pace of play alone. Plus, I thought he'd definitely get run against Michigan State's bigs...didn't happen.

To be quite honest, had this not been the latest loss in a four-game losing streak, it would be stomach-able.

I'd say it wouldn't really be "stomach-able" even if we weren't on a four game skid. This was a game we should have won. We are obviously a better team, and had we put even a few pieces together we would have won fairly convincingly. To me, it's more frustrating that we easily could have won that game. We will surely win a good number of games as the season goes on, but I will continue to look back on that game and think "that was one that we absolutely could have, and should have, won".

Top Bottom