OL Report: Illinois Full Game

On the second drive of the game Schleuter was put on skates right into Morgan. The RB picked up the rush but Morgan was pincered between Schleuter and The running back. So far pass pro doesn’t look so hot.
I really do hate to bag on one guy.

But it's not like it would be the first time in his career that he was benched. He was in 2018, and it was Big Dan who came in to replace him.

Worked his ass off and had a great 2019 year. Don't recall him having this kind of trouble last year either.

Not necessarily calling for it now. And knowing Fleck, it's too big a risk to throw a guy out there as a new starter for the first time this season at Iowa City.

Now ... what they could consider is putting Andries at LT, and put say Axel Ruschmeyer as guard. But I still think Fleck will think that too big a risk.

Clearly, they don't think Guedet and/or Ersery are ready to be thrown out there. But, maybe this will force their hand. We'll see ....

The second half was similar in that the OL did a fairly nice job of getting on defenders and making blocks in the run game. Axel had a rough half with a couple holding penalties, but overall they played well up front. The same problem happened in the second half where Illinois had one more defender than we could block and he usually made the play. That defender was on the edge of the OL formation and he would squeeze down to close off the cutback lane that we’ve exploited the last 4 games. Illinois took that away and we just didn’t mix up our plays or blocking to take advantage of it.
The Running game:
Andries: 90% on 20 plays
Olson: 90% on 20 plays:
JMS: 90% on 20 plays.
Faalele: 80% on 20 plays
Schlueter: 90% on 20 plays
Ruschmeyer: 38% on 8 plays
Kieft: 92% on 13 plays.
BSF: 50% on 6 plays
Boe: 67% on 2 plays

The Passing game
Andries: 84% on 19 plays
Olson: 89% on 19 plays
JMS: 95% on 19 plays
Faalele: 95% on 19 plays
Schlueter: 84% on 19 plays:
Ruschmeyer: 100% on 3 plays
Kieft: 100% on 3 plays
The pass blocking was also fairly good most of the half. Sure there were a few breakdowns that have been pointed out by others, but they gave Tanner time to find an open guy on most plays. Problem being on the incompletions and some of the pressures was he was only looking at 1 target and if he didn’t come open there wasn’t a throw or he started to scramble which didn’t help the pass protectors. Again play calling did our OL no favors (most of the time) with basically 1 man routes or deep in routes that take time to develop.

I really do hate to bag on one guy.

But it's not like it would be the first time in his career that he was benched. He was in 2018, and it was Big Dan who came in to replace him.

Worked his ass off and had a great 2019 year. Don't recall him having this kind of trouble last year either.

Not necessarily calling for it now. And knowing Fleck, it's too big a risk to throw a guy out there as a new starter for the first time this season at Iowa City.

Now ... what they could consider is putting Andries at LT, and put say Axel Ruschmeyer as guard. But I still think Fleck will think that too big a risk.

Clearly, they don't think Guedet and/or Ersery are ready to be thrown out there. But, maybe this will force their hand. We'll see ....
What would be the big risk of moving Andries to tackle where he has played part of his career? And Axel has played well this year when given the chance. A change for sure but risky?

Also I really thought Ersery had a great game last year when he played. I think he will be a player in the future. Also Sam was rock solid last year. I bet he has some kind of injury he’s dealing with.

Also I really thought Ersery had a great game last year when he played. I think he will be a player in the future. Also Sam was rock solid last year. I bet he has some kind of injury he’s dealing with.
That is very possible. It would be nice if we had the depth to put in a healthy sub who would perform better than an injured starter.

That's the type of thing I have to admit I have no idea.

But then, according to GFB's analysis, it was just a few bad plays. And if he really was that hurt, would the coaches still put him out there?

Man, though. When he did decide to have a few bad plays .... they're as bad as I've seen this year.

Thanks for letting us know that your comment is ignorant and uninformed.
Did you even watch the game or are you here just for fun?
Every time Tanner got wacked by the SDE, there was Sam, standing there and watching....

Top Bottom