OL now and in the future

MadtownGopher

Reaction score
What is our OL projected to look like over the next few years? I'm not as knowledgeable as a lot of you guys but I used FBT's scholarship grid to try to figure out how our OL will look going forward.

http://fringebowlteamblog.com/?page_id=12

2011:
C - Wynn
OTs - Olson and Gjere
OGs - Bunders and Orton
TE - Lair

2012:
C - Epping
OTs - Olson and Gjere
OGs - Michel and Olson
TE - Rabe

2013:
C - Epping
OTs - Olson and Gjere
OGs - Michel and Olson
TE - Goodger

2014:
C - Epping
OTs - Gjere and Pirsig
OGs - Olson and Hayes
TE - Goodger or Williams

Looks like the U has good, solid depth. Should be a quality BT OL.

it is not a question of IF we get a 4* RB, it is how many will we bring in in the next few classes!

I wouldnt set the depth chart just yet. There is some depth to the position. Some of the less heralded guys will be starters at some point IMO

it is not a question of IF we get a 4* RB, it is how many will we bring in in the next few classes!

RBs are going to want and run behind a beefy line and it certainly appears as though Minnesota has talent and depth up front.

I would say a year or two down the road if Isaac Hayes stays on the offensive side of the ball, he'd have a very good chance of starting at C over Epping.

You have to include Campion in this discussion. Coaches are very high on him. He will get a chance to play this year as a true freshman. I know that the previous staff was thinking that he was going to be our future Center. Athletic, strong and quick enough to play multiple positions across the OL

You have to include Campion in this discussion. Coaches are very high on him. He will get a chance to play this year as a true freshman. I know that the previous staff was thinking that he was going to be our future Center. Athletic, strong and quick enough to play multiple positions across the OL

I agree. I believe Campion is going to surprise everyone and be a big time contributor to the program, a big time G1G player, and has what it takes to get recognized nationally. Go Josh and GO GOPOHERS!

Linkewitz (I know I butchered that spelling, sorry Marek) will be in the mix.

Ironic - a year ago, everyone was excited about the McAvoy brothers committing to the U. Now, they seem to have been overshadowed by some of the more recent recruits.

If nothing else, the OL depth should be MUCH better than it was in the last few years. I wonder if we could see some position changes - OL to DL, or maybe turn one of the lighter OL recruits into a big blocking TE type?

We'll see who steps it up at right tackle. Ferguson could turn into a beast of a tackle. One thing is for sure there is going to be some great competition on the OL.

Epping will have a tough spot holding that spot down. Hayes has a very good chance to play a ton as a FR (possibly even a true FR). Epping could also be pushed by Mottla.

Campion is versatile. I could see him playing anywhere along that line.

A lot of the players positions are sort of up in the air, but I know the staff really likes Marek Lenkiwicz (and Horton went out of his way to praise the kid).

Ferguson has some beast to him. He is sort of like the Rashede Hageman of the OL (not as much potential). But he is a pretty ideal athlete, he just needs to learn how to play the position. If he is impressive enough, I could certainly see Gjere sliding to G.

The McAvoys still figure into all of this. They are supposedly a couple of pretty talented kids.

THIS is a great discussion and a long awaited issue for the Gophers to deal with. I'm so relieved that we are not hearing about having to start a frosh, move a player out of positon due to injury/lack of talent. Each of the OL positions will be well earned and the end product will be MUCH better on Saturdays.

What is our OL projected to look like over the next few years? I'm not as knowledgeable as a lot of you guys but I used FBT's scholarship grid to try to figure out how our OL will look going forward.

http://fringebowlteamblog.com/?page_id=12

2011:
C - Wynn
OTs - Olson and Gjere
OGs - Bunders and Orton
TE - Lair

2012:
C - Epping
OTs - Olson and Gjere
OGs - Michel and Olson
TE - Rabe

2013:
C - Epping
OTs - Olson and Gjere
OGs - Michel and Olson
TE - Goodger

2014:
C - Epping
OTs - Gjere and Pirsig
OGs - Olson and Hayes
TE - Goodger or Williams

I think Michel may be done. I don't think he has made progress from his post-concussion issues. Anyone?

Campion may turn into a 4 year starter by the end of camp...

Interesting discussion. One other factor I see in the mix is that Coach Kill needs at least an 8 or 10 player "attrition" to make room for the players he is recruiting for the next recruiting class. You've gotta think that some will come from the OL.

With 14 OL candidates brought in the last two years (14 in two years!), you've gotta figure that some of those kids are looking around and realizing that even if they stay 5 years, they'll never see much in the way of playing time. Especially when you see guys like Shaft and Pirsig being brought in now. Some of those kids may be happy to take their UM education and give it all they've got for Kill, but some of them are probably going to transfer to somewhere they'll get playing time.

It'll be interesting to see how it all shakes out.

I'm not nearly as up on my OL knowledge so excuse my ignorance. Wasn't one of the McAvoy's switching to DL? I thought I read somewhere where Shaft was a possibility there too. Who else might slide over to D? B/c I agree with 14 OL recruits in a 2 year period we kind of have a log jam on our hands, not that it is necessarily a bad thing.

I had heard that about Isaac Hayes, but not one of the McAvoys. I'm sure moving guys to the DL is one option. After all they moved Ferguson the other way. Part of the reason for 14/2 is there are no juniors and only 3 seniors. Thanks, Brewster...

I'm not nearly as up on my OL knowledge so excuse my ignorance. Wasn't one of the McAvoy's switching to DL? I thought I read somewhere where Shaft was a possibility there too. Who else might slide over to D? B/c I agree with 14 OL recruits in a 2 year period we kind of have a log jam on our hands, not that it is necessarily a bad thing.

If you analyze the roster by jersey numbers, there might be something there. Now it could mean one is getting moved, but several players at the same position have the same jersey numbers on the updated roster. Bush and Eggen have the same number, as do L. McAvoy and Gjere, and Haney and Ferguson...

Golden Gopher Gridiron

It's always a positive, if someone gets hurt, to put the next guy in line in, instead of having to switch three positions to get one. Depth and Competition is great for an O-line, especially when Limegrover likes to sub people in and out.

I am surprised with Epping being on the list. I always thought Bjorklund was more highly regarded. No?

Bjorklund was almost a grayshirt.
Not highly regarded. I do know a guy who was an all big ten linebacker who has told me that he thinks Joe will play early and often. Very underrated in his opinion.

If you analyze the roster by jersey numbers, there might be something there. Now it could mean one is getting moved, but several players at the same position have the same jersey numbers on the updated roster. Bush and Eggen have the same number, as do L. McAvoy and Gjere, and Haney and Ferguson...

Golden Gopher Gridiron

They must have updated the roster since your post. Eggen and Haney no longer on the roster (glitch, or have they really left team?) also L. McAvoy is listed as #66 and Gjere #76.

on a completely seperate note, the official roster has 3 WRs wearing #80 (DCT, Brandon, and Kloss). odd.

They must have updated the roster since your post. Eggen and Haney no longer on the roster (glitch, or have they really left team?) also L. McAvoy is listed as #66 and Gjere #76.

on a completely seperate note, the official roster has 3 WRs wearing #80 (DCT, Brandon, and Kloss). odd.

To the best of my knowledge, Haney is no longer on the team.

As for Eggen, there seemed to be a lot of whispers around spring ball that he was in over his head. I really have no inside info, but it wouldn't surprise me at all if he was no longer on the team (which would free up another scholarship).

As for the WRs, that's a little different. I'd guess that they fully expect DCT to RS. As far as BRandon, his situation is sort of an enigma. A lot of people thought he'd never play again, he came back (surprisingly to some) but still wasn't healthy enough for spring ball. So I am not sure where he stands or if that plays any factor in that situation.

Golden Gopher Gridiron

I would not over-analyze the redundant number issue; there are 115 players and 100 numbers, and the area with the most bodies is oline. Specifically, L. McAvoy and Gjere will both be on the team, but it might mean LM is likely to RS, or maybe it means nothing.
I think all it means for sure is that they can not be on the field at the same time. I think Ferguson got the #70 when he moved from Dline last spring and Haney was out with an injury.

I would expect the BIG RAGOO to work his way into the mix....dude is Massive (391!)...Sub him in on a 3rd and one as a T or TE, it would be tuff to stop us. I'm assuming he needs to work on his footwork but if it is straigt forward, a year of conditionig could make him a beast!

Would/could Lenkiewitz move to C or does Epping have a hold on that?

Didn't one of the McAvoy bros play DE?

Gjere has good enough footwork to move inside, he would be a load of a OG.

Golden Gopher Gridiron.com lists Ragoo at 325. Also Alipate at 235. These are new numbers, not just the same old ones regurgitated. Don't know if they are accurate or just someone's imagination or dreams, but if they are correct, Klein is earning his money.

I would expect the BIG RAGOO to work his way into the mix....dude is Massive (391!)...Sub him in on a 3rd and one as a T or TE, it would be tuff to stop us. I'm assuming he needs to work on his footwork but if it is straigt forward, a year of conditionig could make him a beast!

Would/could Lenkiewitz move to C or does Epping have a hold on that?

Didn't one of the McAvoy bros play DE?

Gjere has good enough footwork to move inside, he would be a load of a OG.

Ragoo is an interesting kid. He is so massive and he actually seems like he has a tinge more athleticism than you would expect. I only say that because I remember watching spring ball and seeing him do some drills and having to double check my roster because the guy moved quicker than I thought he would. He is in a boat similar to Jeff Wills. If he works his tail off and can shed some weight, he could turn into a pretty impressive OL. However, like Wills, when those big guys aren't playing well or aren't quite ready, they look REALLY bad. Ragoo is a project. I wouldn't say he is 2nd team and I think we'd be really in a tough spot if he played a lot last year. However, he has great potential.

As for Lenkiewicz...I'm not sure. I think he probably could play a variety of OL positions because he is noted for being pretty athletic. It'll be interesting to see where he ends up. I am not sure how dire of a situation it is at C while we still have Wynn and Epping (even Mottla could see some PT). But eventually...he might be moved to C. However, that position will be getting awfully crowded as well. There was talk that Olsen or Hayes could be C and Bjorklund. So we'll see.

Yeah, I think the smaller of the two bros (Luke) played a lot on the defensive side of the ball. I kind of wouldn't be shocked if we see the larger of the two (Kyle) end up at DT. Kyle was one of Illinois's best wrestlers (HW), he was 33-0 at one time last season (I don't know how he faired at regionals and state) and he was kind of considered a bit of nasty, super strong sort of kid. The wrestling coach said that he was the strongest kid he can remember coming through that school.

Yep, Gjere could certainly move to G and eventually even back out to T once Olsen leaves. We are fortunate to have so many OL prospects with position versatility.

Golden Gopher Gridiron.com lists Ragoo at 325. Also Alipate at 235. These are new numbers, not just the same old ones regurgitated. Don't know if they are accurate or just someone's imagination or dreams, but if they are correct, Klein is earning his money.

I have no idea, but i'd be shocked if either of those numbers were at all accurate. The 391 was taken during spring ball...if he lost 70 lbs, something would be seriously wrong with Mr. Ragoo. As far as Moses, I'm not ripping on the kid, but he didn't look 235 in those webisodes and that would be a TON of weight for him to lose in that span as well. I'm hoping that next year at this time, we are hearing that Moses is 250 and Ragoo is 360.

Top Bottom