OL Grades - Northwestern

GFBfan

Reaction score
Our O-Line played fairly well all night. They controlled the LOS for most of the game.

RUN GAME First Half-Second Half-Whole Game: 13 Running plays in the first half and 15 in the Second
LT Aireontae Ersery: 86%-88%-86% - Had another solid outing in the run game. Really uses his body and strength well.
LG Tyler Cooper 90%-83%-86% His best game of the year, even with flipping sides from time to time.
C Nathan Boe 81%-94%-86% Another solid all around night of blocking, using his feet to get position and playing with some physicality
RG Martes Lewis 56%-73%-63% Not a spectacular run game grade, but he was really good in the passing game.
RT Quinn Carroll 81%-81%-81% Played consistent all game long.
TE Nick Kallerup: 100%-71%-85%
TE Brevyn Spann-Ford: 93%-71%-82% He is a really good blocker when he has a man on him and he can just attack him from the snap. He has some problems when he has to block in space, especially when he has to pull across the formation. On the first DT Touchdown, he completely whiffed on the LB, but DT was able to absorb the LB contact, maintain his balance and get in the end zone.
Guard Rotation Greg Johnson: 75%-40%-65%: struggled at times with the physical play of the Northwestern DT's. Didn't play as much down the stretch as they didn't rotate him in late in the game like he had been doing most of it.

PASSING GAME - First Half-Second Half-Full Game: 21 in the first half 14 in the second
LT Aireontae Ersery: 100%-100%-100% An excellent job in pass protection by him and Tyler all game long
LG Tyler Cooper 100%-100%-100%
C Nathan Boe 100%-85%-92% Also did a nice job in pass protection
RG Martes Lewis 100%-92%-95% Used his feet very well in this game and stayed active.
RT Quinn Carroll 100%-85%-92% Not his best game in pass protection, but he did a solid job most of the game
Guard Rotation Greg Johnson: 83%-80%-82% Had a few struggles holding his ground against their big DT
TE Brevyn Spann-Ford: 60%-83%-73% Stayed in to pass protect on 11 of 24 pass plays. Not using his talents as a pass catcher enough

The O line blocked that well in the passing game and we had 15 total first downs and 3 of 13 on 3rd down? That tells me we have absolutely putrid offensive coaching.

Is it a bad thing to be getting most of your first downs on 1st and 2nd down?

To me, drives always tell the story of a game. Somewhat Captain Obvious, but seems true to me.

From 0 to 31 points we had:

8 plays 46 yards PUNT --> but this immediately turned into a fumble by NW and then a 1 play TD
3 and out PUNT
10 plays 68yd TD
6 plays 72yd TD
5 plays 43yd FG
4 plays 16 yd PUNT
3 plays 9yd PUNT
4 plays 52yd TD

Then the final 3 drives of regulation were:
3 plays 3yd PUNT
5 plays 19yd PUNT
5 plays 30yd PUNT

The offense and defense simultaneously collapsed. The defense especially though.

Rossi has been here and done well for a few years now.

So I pin it on the new guys, our new CB and Safeties coaches. Somehow, they've poisoned the secondary.

The run game numbers are good and basically show hat on hat (few whiffs), but the OL got stoned and even moved back in key short yardage situations. The big run by Taylor on 4th down came after he got hit before the line to gain. The straight up zone blocking in short yardage hasn't been working well this year against the Power 5 teams. It's been better with a lead blocker. I hope to see more of that.

Our O-Line played fairly well all night. They controlled the LOS for most of the game.

RUN GAME First Half-Second Half-Whole Game: 13 Running plays in the first half and 15 in the Second
LT Aireontae Ersery: 86%-88%-86% - Had another solid outing in the run game. Really uses his body and strength well.
LG Tyler Cooper 90%-83%-86% His best game of the year, even with flipping sides from time to time.
C Nathan Boe 81%-94%-86% Another solid all around night of blocking, using his feet to get position and playing with some physicality
RG Martes Lewis 56%-73%-63% Not a spectacular run game grade, but he was really good in the passing game.
RT Quinn Carroll 81%-81%-81% Played consistent all game long.
TE Nick Kallerup: 100%-71%-85%
TE Brevyn Spann-Ford: 93%-71%-82% He is a really good blocker when he has a man on him and he can just attack him from the snap. He has some problems when he has to block in space, especially when he has to pull across the formation. On the first DT Touchdown, he completely whiffed on the LB, but DT was able to absorb the LB contact, maintain his balance and get in the end zone.
Guard Rotation Greg Johnson: 75%-40%-65%: struggled at times with the physical play of the Northwestern DT's. Didn't play as much down the stretch as they didn't rotate him in late in the game like he had been doing most of it.

PASSING GAME - First Half-Second Half-Full Game: 21 in the first half 14 in the second
LT Aireontae Ersery: 100%-100%-100% An excellent job in pass protection by him and Tyler all game long
LG Tyler Cooper 100%-100%-100%
C Nathan Boe 100%-85%-92% Also did a nice job in pass protection
RG Martes Lewis 100%-92%-95% Used his feet very well in this game and stayed active.
RT Quinn Carroll 100%-85%-92% Not his best game in pass protection, but he did a solid job most of the game
Guard Rotation Greg Johnson: 83%-80%-82% Had a few struggles holding his ground against their big DT
TE Brevyn Spann-Ford: 60%-83%-73% Stayed in to pass protect on 11 of 24 pass plays. Not using his talents as a pass catcher enoughIt
It is obvious you were not at the game. our OL was the second best line playing. Under no circumstances would I give anyone on the OL a grade above 40%. Failing 3 out of 5 plays was pretty common. We gained yardage on the ground only because we have/had a top notch ball carrier. Not because we were blocking anyone.

Be interesting to see a quarter by quarter breakdown of this. That 4th quarter was probably brutal.

It is obvious you were not at the game. our OL was the second best line playing. Under no circumstances would I give anyone on the OL a grade above 40%. Failing 3 out of 5 plays was pretty common. We gained yardage on the ground only because we have/had a top notch ball carrier. Not because we were blocking anyone.
This is how I felt too. Also, Shaw was in the game some so how did he do?

Is it a bad thing to be getting most of your first downs on 1st and 2nd down?
Three of 13 speaks for itself regardless of how many on first or second. Also, the defense has allowed 20 third down conversions in the last two games.

The run game numbers are good and basically show hat on hat (few whiffs), but the OL got stoned and even moved back in key short yardage situations. The big run by Taylor on 4th down came after he got hit before the line to gain. The straight up zone blocking in short yardage hasn't been working well this year against the Power 5 teams. It's been better with a lead blocker. I hope to see more of that.
On that Taylor TD run, the lead blocker was the one who missed his block, everyone else did a nice job to create space and move guys off the LOS

I watched every play at least 7 times to get a grade for each OL/TE (of course I'm watching it off the TV feed and not from an end zone view, but I'm still able to see everyone and what they do on each play. Were there times when our OL missed a block, didn't hold it long enough or lost their positioning - Of course there were, but it wasn't every one of them at the same time and it didn't happen that often. You don't rush for 244 yards at a 5.8 ypc clip without some blocking. I don't care how top notch your back is, but they don't gain that many yards if nobody is blocking. I'll post some video to show you how well and not well are OL was playing vs. Northwestern if I have some time tomorrow.
They were not failing 3 out of 5 times or anything close to that.

Top Bottom