OL Grades - North Carolina

GFBfan

Reaction score
Our O-Line did a nice job all game in the run game. They had a few problems at times handling the stunts of NC, especially in the passing game, but overall I thought they handled the NC DL all game long. The end result didn't show how much they dominated the LOS when we had the ball.

We also had a new addition to the OL in FR Greg Johnson. He rotated in at LG for Tyler Cooper and sometimes Cooper would slide over to the right side with Lewis sitting out. For his first action on the year, he played very well.

RUN GAME First Half-Second Half-Whole Game: 13 Running plays in the first half and 15 in the Second
LT Aireontae Ersery: 85%-80%-82% - Had a solid day in the run game with only one negative play.
LG Tyler Cooper 90%-83%-86% His play continues to improve each week.
C Nathan Boe 77%-80%-79% Very solid all game again. Uses his feet well to get position and maintain it through the play
RG Martes Lewis 100%-50%-78% Excellent first half but had a couple of bad blocks/plays in the second half where he missed his block
RT Quinn Carroll 100%-87%-93% Another solid outing in the run game. Really uses his feet well. Not so much a mauler, but he gains great position and has the strength to control the defender throughout the play
TE Nick Kallerup: 83%-75%-80%
TE Brevyn Spann-Ford: 75%-80%-77%
Guard Rotation Greg Johnson: 100%-88%-91%: Moves really well and plays very physical.
EOL Karter Shaw: 100%-67%-83%

PASSING GAME - First Half-Second Half-Full Game: 21 in the first half 14 in the second
LT Aireontae Ersery: 76%-86%-80%
LG Tyler Cooper 41%-91%-61% Had a couple of really poor pass block sets where he didn't move well and got beat. His low percent in first half was also due to having nobody to block with the NC line running many stunts
C Nathan Boe 71%-71%-71% Consistent all game in pass protection. Lower % is due to having no blocking assignment on pass plays with their four man line and not having anyone to block
RG Martes Lewis 90%-75%-86% Had no negative plays in pass protection
RT Quinn Carroll 62%-79%-69% Not his best game in pass protection, but he did a solid job most of the game
Guard Rotation Greg Johnson: 100%-67%-77% Played well and was able to handle all the twists that the NC DL were doing.
TE Brevyn Spann-Ford: 89%-67%-80% Still don't understand why he is pass blocking on 15 of our 35 pass plays, since he is an elite receiving TE. That's not a knock on him, but on the play calling/design.

Last edited:

supposed to be

I think there are a lot of supposed to on offense this year and fans don’t usually but… time to adjust those “supposed” ;)

Interesting that PFF had the run blocking as pretty poor and worse than pass blocking. I wouldn't have guessed that.

On a side note, look at that overall passing game score...

1695052865950.png

Interesting that PFF had the run blocking as pretty poor and worse than pass blocking. I wouldn't have guessed that.

On a side note, look at that overall passing game score...

View attachment 27077
I don't see how the run blocking could be so poor when we averaged 5.5 yards per carry. I thought the OL played well vs the NC DL in the run game. The OL did have some problems with the DL stunts but the problems in the passing game where more of the skill guys not getting things done.

GJ, he didn't get beat on the pass plays I saw him (only a couple that I recall). So maybe that's good enough to give him a pass on that play, in your book.

But his technique with his hands leaves a lot to be desired. Zero hand placement.

They had good DL. He basically just walled the guy off using his size and leg strength, but zero hands. Way up in the air both times I recall.

Needs to work on it. Didn't see anything from Cooper where you go "jeez ... we need to burn Greg Johnson's redshirt this year!!".

I don't see how the run blocking could be so poor when we averaged 5.5 yards per carry. I thought the OL played well vs the NC DL in the run game. The OL did have some problems with the DL stunts but the problems in the passing game where more of the skill guys not getting things done.

I agree the score looks odd. Maybe PFF doesn't assign a good grade if an OL has nobody to zone block on a stunt, etc.

I agree the score looks odd. Maybe PFF doesn't assign a good grade if an OL has nobody to zone block on a stunt, etc.
I give the OL a 0 when they don't block anyone, which lowers their percent grade in the end.

Top Bottom