Oklahoma fires Jeff Capel

I'm surprised and I'm not. On the one hand they're 2 years removed from an Elite 8 appearance. But the last two years have been awful and there are/were some off-court issues.

And don't start on Tubby. Oklahoma is not a better job than MN and is a total reubilding job now. It is a football school through and through. Sure Billy Tubbs and Sampson had success, but so did Clem. None if it clean.

Add another school to the list for 'BCG'. Did I use the right Kentucky acronym?

They pulled the trigger too soon. I would understand if it was a school w/high expectations like Kentucky or UNC, but c'mon...Oklahoma is a football school through and through. And it's not like he hasn't experienced ANY success. This really came out of left field. Must be a deeper story behind it.

It's not just having two awful seasons on the court, they have NCAA violations to deal with as well. Anything that could go wrong has gone wrong for OU the past couple of seasons. Last year was incredibly disappointing - coming off an Elite 8 with Willie Warren (a preseason All-American), a preseason top-15 team, and a highly touted recruiting class, they ended up with a losing record.

Two losing seasons in a row/failing to measure up to expectations + major disappointment based on the level of talent brought into the program + NCAA violations = coach looking for a new job

It's not just having two awful seasons on the court, they have NCAA violations to deal with as well.

+1. ESPN just reported it as "major violations" by one of Capel's assistants.

Did he sign in Nov? The profile just lists the commitment.

Capel can coach and he can recruit. Barring NCAA violations, he'll have no trouble landing a head coaching job. The early departure of Blake Griffin and three freshman starters from last year did him in. Patience ran thin when their arena was routinely half empty. OU and the fan base expect programs to win.

For an athletics department that counts Barry Switzer, Dave Bliss, John Blake, and Kelvin Sampson among its ex-coaches, you wouldn't think a little NCAA violation or two would be too bothersome.

Cheap shot. You're better than that, coolhand. Most schools have sinners they aren't proud of. We certainly do at Minnesota.

C'mon G4Life, where's your sense of humor? I was just tweaking you a bit; OU may expect winners, as you state, but they have employed some of the most notorious rule breakers in the college ranks through the years.

Top Bottom