Ohio State's recruiting class

FWIW, Walker is the #9 center on Scout. A rating of 92 (not rank for those who cannot read implies "Player has the potential to significantly contribute to a national program as a freshman. He could be a four-year contributor with an opportunity to start over the course of his career."

Not saying our class is great shakes but Walker seems to get decent marks from Scout and Rivals.

What do you want me to way? Please explain again. I'm completely lost as to what you want me to admit.

What do you want me to way? Please explain again. I'm completely lost as to what you want me to admit.

Maybe if it's like a movie script you can follow along.

You: Minnesota Prospects in national top 15 at individual position: 0
Me: Walker is ranked a Top 15 center go check again.
You: Haha
Me: For a guy who laughs at rivals.com, you sure use them all the time.
You: Not laughing at Rivals, I'm laughing at the notion that someone is trying to make the argument that the Gophers have a top 150 talent when the player he's actually talking about is in the mid 130s nationally on Rivals and non-existent on Scout.

Me: Walker is ranked #13 Center on rivals and #9 Center on ESPN. What are you laughing at again?

Maybe if it's like a movie script you can follow along.

You: Minnesota Prospects in national top 15 at individual position: 0
Me: Walker is ranked a Top 15 center go check again.
You: Haha
Me: For a guy who laughs at rivals.com, you sure use them all the time.
You: Not laughing at Rivals, I'm laughing at the notion that someone is trying to make the argument that the Gophers have a top 150 talent when the player he's actually talking about is in the mid 130s nationally on Rivals and non-existent on Scout.

Me: Walker is ranked #13 Center on rivals and #9 Center on ESPN. What are you laughing at again?

Thank you for clarifying. Honestly. Let's just come to the agreement that Mo Walker is what he is; A decent recruit with the chance to make an impact sooner than any of his fellow 2010 Minnesota signees.

Yes, underground, good observation - my assertion is Sullinger will have a season capable of 1st team All-Big Ten recognition (something like 16+ ppg, 8+ rpg, 55%+ from the field). I feel there is some bias against frosh in those awards - for instance, Tyreke Evans was only an HM All-American his frosh year at Memphis, despite having a phenomenal season. I remember how Mike Conley led the Big Ten in assists & steals, averaged over 11 ppg, had more steals than turnovers and he still didn't make the Big Ten coaches' first team - that was a 1st team All-Big Ten caliber season IMO. I think Sullinger will have the type of season that it won't leave room for doubt, but it's certainly possible that there could be 5 other outstanding upperclass candidates and they may get the nod due to the career achievement factor.

Sullinger does not have quite the same impact as Oden on the defensive end, but he's still a good defender & he's a lot better than Oden on the offensive end. Sullinger is likely to beat Oden's production in every stat in the boxscore other than blocked shots and rebounds, and he's probably not going to be very far off of Oden in those categories.

MNBoiler, you should review Sullinger's performance in the 3 major All-American games (McDonald's, Nike Hoop Summit and Jordan Brand) if you think he will struggle with bigger/more athletic players. Sullinger was the only player in his class to score 20 or more points in each of those 3 games (all of which were loaded with bigger/more athletic players in addition to many other future NBA players) and shot over 70%(!) from the field in those games (26-36). He averaged over 21 points & 7 rebounds in 3 games against the best of the best in his class, so he doesn't just put up big numbers against talent-barren high school teams.

Matta doesn't really have to do anything to "develop" Sullinger - he is ready to step in on Day 1 and be a star at the college level.

OSUfan:

Even if Sullinger ends up 1st team all-big ten like you believe (which certainly may happen), you do realize we beat you at the barn with the best player in the country on your team last year (and sans Mbakwe and White). And to preemptively stop any "2nd game back" argument: he certainly looked healthy, and secondly, who says something similar couldn't happen to Sullinger or any other player.

Fact is we are 3-0 at home against you guys in the Tubby era, with the smallest margin of victory being 9. And I would argue OSU had the better team each of those seasons. So I don't think ridiculous for someone to predict a Gopher win, even with some ? around the team.

I haven't watched him play, but if he's as good as advertised, I would have to guess you'll be right. I don't really have any faith left in who the coaches vote for but I wouldn't be surprised if he has a 1st Team All Big Ten caliber year but isn't awarded that honor.

Yes, underground, good observation - my assertion is Sullinger will have a season capable of 1st team All-Big Ten recognition (something like 16+ ppg, 8+ rpg, 55%+ from the field). I feel there is some bias against frosh in those awards - for instance, Tyreke Evans was only an HM All-American his frosh year at Memphis, despite having a phenomenal season. I remember how Mike Conley led the Big Ten in assists & steals, averaged over 11 ppg, had more steals than turnovers and he still didn't make the Big Ten coaches' first team - that was a 1st team All-Big Ten caliber season IMO. I think Sullinger will have the type of season that it won't leave room for doubt, but it's certainly possible that there could be 5 other outstanding upperclass candidates and they may get the nod due to the career achievement factor.

Sullinger does not have quite the same impact as Oden on the defensive end, but he's still a good defender & he's a lot better than Oden on the offensive end. Sullinger is likely to beat Oden's production in every stat in the boxscore other than blocked shots and rebounds, and he's probably not going to be very far off of Oden in those categories.

MNBoiler, you should review Sullinger's performance in the 3 major All-American games (McDonald's, Nike Hoop Summit and Jordan Brand) if you think he will struggle with bigger/more athletic players. Sullinger was the only player in his class to score 20 or more points in each of those 3 games (all of which were loaded with bigger/more athletic players in addition to many other future NBA players) and shot over 70%(!) from the field in those games (26-36). He averaged over 21 points & 7 rebounds in 3 games against the best of the best in his class, so he doesn't just put up big numbers against talent-barren high school teams.

Matta doesn't really have to do anything to "develop" Sullinger - he is ready to step in on Day 1 and be a star at the college level.

Well said. Unless we go 0 for 3 on our question marks, I like our chances at home even though we won't be the better overall team.

OSUfan:

Even if Sullinger ends up 1st team all-big ten like you believe (which certainly may happen), you do realize we beat you at the barn with the best player in the country on your team last year (and sans Mbakwe and White). And to preemptively stop any "2nd game back" argument: he certainly looked healthy, and secondly, who says something similar couldn't happen to Sullinger or any other player.

Fact is we are 3-0 at home against you guys in the Tubby era, with the smallest margin of victory being 9. And I would argue OSU had the better team each of those seasons. So I don't think ridiculous for someone to predict a Gopher win, even with some ? around the team.

First the 70% shooting, ya that is really high but how far out was he when he shot, 5 feet? That's still impressive but come on don't pretend that is unbelievably high especially in an All-Star game where there not alot of good D played. But as I said I love the fact that he is a great rebounder.

But do you really think he is going to be able to step out to the three point and play effective D on JuJuan Johnson. Because I certainly don't.

But before we decide he is the second coming let's let him play a few legit college teams.

What I was saying was I wouldn't predict a Gopher win at this time if I were in your shoes, given the uncertainty about the roster - for the most part I am rather moderate in my predictions. Of the last 3 games OSU has played in the Barn, 2 of those were OSU teams that clearly weren't as good as this upcoming team is expected to be. The game last year, Hoffarber hit six 3s in the second half, that's why the Gophers won as much as anything - can you count on that happening when the teams play again? I don't know - it didn't happen in the other 2 games the teams played last year.

MNboiler, I don't think there's anything I can do to convince you - you will just try to explain it away because you're determined to wait & see. Sullinger is going to be a star the minute he steps on the court at OSU & I think it's an error to be doubting this kid.

MNboiler, I don't think there's anything I can do to convince you - you will just try to explain it away because you're determined to wait & see. Sullinger is going to be a star the minute he steps on the court at OSU & I think it's an error to be doubting this kid.

There is no doubt in my mind that Sullinger is going to have a huge impact this year. A consenus top 10(top 5 maybe) player in the nation has a impact where ever he goes. I just think that before you say he is the second coming we should let him play a few games. But I also think that he has a few holes-every prospect does. My best guess is that he comes in and plays really well, even dominates at times but also vanishes at times, but at the end of the year he is on the the 1st or 2nd team All B10.

From the Rivals 150 players:

Ohio St. #5, 22, 39, 111, 132, 135

MICHIGAN STATE #20,#38,#115

Illinois #35, 84,

Purdue #51, 101

Michigan #59

Minnesota #123

Penn St. #145

I fixed it for ya, forgot MSU 5 star, PAYNE

Top Bottom