Ohio State will advance to championship game

How upset do you think Indiana fans are? They might not have a realistic path to the CFP, but now the 11th hour rule change takes them out of contention for a Big Ten championship and maybe the Rose Bowl. I am sure there are a handful of Indiana fans that were eager to cash in a long shot bet for being Big Ten champions as well.

Upset about what? They has a shot at OSU and lost. Played a great game and represented the program. Who wants to back into a Championship game because of forfeits in an epidemic season? Not real competitors. This year was not a season, it was a collection of games that mean zip.

Upset about what? They has a shot at OSU and lost. Played a great game and represented the program. Who wants to back into a Championship game because of forfeits in an epidemic season? Not real competitors. This year was not a season, it was a collection of games that mean zip.
Would you be upset if the Gophers were literally about to play in the Big Ten Championship game but the conference changed the tie-breakers at the last minute for the sole purpose of putting a different team in the championship game?

Would you be upset if the Gophers were literally about to play in the Big Ten Championship game but the conference changed the tie-breakers at the last minute for the sole purpose of putting a different team in the championship game?

I might be dissapointed ... but if that other team beat us ... I know we got our shot already.

Anyone going into this season thinking everything was written in stone hasn't been paying attention / probabbly still thinks the season was cancelled anyway.

It would mean we lost head-to-head to the 5-0 team.

We wouldn't deserve the championship game over them, any more than we deserved to be "co-" division champions after getting our a__es whipped by you know who last season.

Good. This is correct.

Everyone's grandmother knows that OSU is the best team in the conference and should be in the championship game. They beat IU fair and square.

They'll win the conference and they'll go to the CFP, and hopefully win this time.

I feel bad for Indiana. The brass moved the goalposts on them, and even though they lost the head 2 head against OSU I feel like they're deserving of a shot at the title.

Moving the goalposts was justified. If Ohio St would have played this week and lost (no matter how badly), they still would have been the qualifier under the previous rule. The change was just as arbitrary as setting the requirement at "6 games" to begin with.

I am guessing if there was a vote amongst the conference it was probably 13-1.

I might be dissapointed ... but if that other team beat us ... I know we got our shot already.

Anyone going into this season thinking everything was written in stone hasn't been paying attention / probabbly still thinks the season was cancelled anyway.
I get that and fully agree. My issue was more with @gopherjay saying they would not be upset at all and that this season means nothing. This season means a lot to the Indiana team and fans, and any fan should be disappointed if their team is removed from contention for a championship game that they are supposed to play in.

Different team like purdue or the team that is better than I am and beat me?

Megan Ryan in the striv proving she doesn’t understand college football or the big ten

It was ordained that tOSU was going to be in the BIG "championship" game in a season where some teams played only a few games.
If there is karma NW would beat tOSU but the beat down will happen to tOSU when they get up against AL.
And the BIG powers that be will be responsible for the fiasco.

It was ordained that tOSU was going to be in the BIG "championship" game in a season where some teams played only a few games.
If there is karma NW would beat tOSU but the beat down will happen to tOSU when they get up against AL.
Stupid, idiotic take. But not unexpected.

I'm sorry you have an issue with actual reality. The reality is that OSU is one of the 4 best teams in the country. Get over it.

True karma will come if the CFP committee passes on OSU because they played too few games. Better yet, OSU loses to NW, IU obliterates IA, and the committee selects IU. :ROFLMAO:

I get that and fully agree. My issue was more with @gopherjay saying they would not be upset at all and that this season means nothing. This season means a lot to the Indiana team and fans, and any fan should be disappointed if their team is removed from contention for a championship game that they are supposed to play in.

I am sure there are some upset Indiana fans but for those that choose to be realistic they will understand that this is the right decision for the conference. Ohio State won the head to head matchup and is clearly the best team in the East. I am sure Indiana would have loved a trip to the Big Ten Title game but it would have been a little hollow knowing the only reason they got there was on a technicality due to Covid as opposed to earning their way into the game on the field.

It is a little dicey to change the rules midstream like this but there is a clear justification for doing it so that takes a lot of the sting out of it. This is the right move for the Big Ten.

I am sure there are some upset Indiana fans but for those that choose to be realistic they will understand that this is the right decision for the conference. Ohio State won the head to head matchup and is clearly the best team in the East. I am sure Indiana would have loved a trip to the Big Ten Title game but it would have been a little hollow knowing the only reason they got there was on a technicality due to Covid as opposed to earning their way into the game on the field.

It is a little dicey to change the rules midstream like this but there is a clear justification for doing it so that takes a lot of the sting out of it. This is the right move for the Big Ten.
Pretty much nailed it here. This is reality. Plain and simple. Fair? Whatever... There's what is fair and there's what is reality. For those that choose to live in a world where they want everything to be fair, you're probably going to be sorely disappointed from time to time. This is reality, the real world.

Does anyone really think ANYBODY outside of Bloomington, IN would rather see the Hoosiers play in the postseason than OSU?

True karma will come if the CFP committee passes on OSU because they played too few games. Better yet, OSU loses to NW, IU obliterates IA, and the committee selects IU. :ROFLMAO:

That would be. Except a victory over IA isn't gonna propel Indy from #12 into the Top 4. That also means that all Big Ten schools, including Indiana losing their share of the millions of $ that goes to the CFP.

BUT is it possible, depending on what everybody else does, that Indiana could get into the one of the New Year's Six Bowls?

Stupid, idiotic take. But not unexpected.

I'm sorry you have an issue with actual reality. The reality is that OSU is one of the 4 best teams in the country. Get over it.
Because it is your opinion does not make it so.
Unless you share infallibility with the pope such beliefs are the mark of magical thinking.

lol zero chance. Michigan St beat NW, and OSU just took a giant dump on MSU last weekend. They're going to destroy NW. They need win with "style points" to ensure their spot in the CFP, and ideally get a #3 seed so they can go to the Rose Bowl and not the dumbass Sugar Bowl.

As I said in another thread - the fact that OSU didn't make the 6-game mark is not their fault.
They had two opponents call off games because the opponents had covid-19 issues. OSU was ready to play.

I would be more upset if OSU been the team with a covid problem and then got jumped into the title game. that is where the 6-game rule makes more sense.

As far as Indiana in the CFP - it would be interesting IF Indiana had their #1 QB. with the backup in there, I don't think Indiana is the same team. (but they were good enough to be Bucky!)

As I said in another thread - the fact that OSU didn't make the 6-game mark is not their fault.
They had two opponents call off games because the opponents had covid-19 issues. OSU was ready to play.

I would be more upset if OSU been the team with a covid problem and then got jumped into the title game. that is where the 6-game rule makes more sense.

As far as Indiana in the CFP - it would be interesting IF Indiana had their #1 QB. with the backup in there, I don't think Indiana is the same team. (but they were good enough to be Bucky!)

The whole year has been "let's make things up as we go" so there was no reason this should be any different. New information was brought to light and the Big 10 evolved.

Also agree on your Indiana take, quite dangerous had their QB stayed healthy. Still formidable.

The whole year has been "let's make things up as we go" so there was no reason this should be any different. New information was brought to light and the Big 10 evolved.

Also agree on your Indiana take, quite dangerous had their QB stayed healthy. Still formidable.
With Penix, they were top 10-15. Not CFP range. Otherwise, they would've beaten OSU on the field.

I prefer to reference actual, on the field results.

With Penix, they were top 10-15. Not CFP range. Otherwise, they would've beaten OSU on the field.

I prefer to reference actual, on the field results.

Some other stuff would have had to happen like Clemson losing to ND again, Ohio St getting beat, and a few other things but an outside case could have been made for the Hoosiers had they gone 8-1 with perhaps a crossover drilling of Iowa. A lot of what ifs...I get it.

Hopefully they get a spot in one of the NY6 Bowls, if those are still a go.

Some other stuff would have had to happen like Clemson losing to ND again, Ohio St getting beat, and a few other things but an outside case could have been made for the Hoosiers had they gone 8-1 with perhaps a crossover drilling of Iowa. A lot of what ifs...I get it.

Hopefully they get a spot in one of the NY6 Bowls, if those are still a go.
That's fair.

And yes, if they win their presumably rescheduled rivalry game vs Purdue next week, I can't see them following lower than their current #12 spot, which should guarantee them a NY6 bowl this year.

NY6 bowls, at a minimum, are going to be on. Too much TV money and viewership to cancel, even without the rest of it. But I think Citrus, Outback, etc. will also stay on.

Looking at the current top teams in the CFP: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2020_NCAA_Division_I_FBS_football_rankings#CFP_Rankings

Most of those teams are either playing unranked teams or have no game, this week.

The main exceptions are #9 Georgia at #25 Missouri and #17 UNC at #10 Miami (FL). I suppose either of those teams could lose. But assuming they don't, I would expect the top 12 at least to be unchanged.

The bigger movements are likely to come after next weekend, with Clemson v ND, Alabama v Florida, and Iowa St v Oklahoma. Cinci v Tulsa is also potentially interesting, if it can be played (was supposed to be this week as well, but cancelled).

Definitely still a chance for both IU and Coastal to get into the top 12.

Top Bottom