Ohio State will advance to championship game

Tully55

Reaction score
The Big Ten Conference announced a decision to eliminate the minimum-game requirement for the 2020 Big Ten Football Championship Game Wednesday, just one day after Ohio State was made ineligible by Michigan's cancellation of its game with the Buckeyes.

Duh.....Was there ever any doubt?

Are we really surprised by this.

Wonder if the B1G would have done this for any other school?
No and no, but it still makes sense to do it. Having the best B1G team in the CFP makes sense, and I think most people feel that's the Buckeyes. As long as we get to play the BADgers, I'm happy.

This is not right. I hope that NU kicks their butt.
Really? Two errors were made this year in my opinion. 1) This requirement of playing so many games to qualify. 2) Believe they should have a 14 day suspension as to playing a game compared to 21. Simply have a doctor sign off at 14.

How upset do you think Indiana fans are? They might not have a realistic path to the CFP, but now the 11th hour rule change takes them out of contention for a Big Ten championship and maybe the Rose Bowl. I am sure there are a handful of Indiana fans that were eager to cash in a long shot bet for being Big Ten champions as well.

Really? Two errors were made this year in my opinion. 1) This requirement of playing so many games to qualify. 2) Believe they should have a 14 day suspension as Simply have a doctor sign off at 14.

I agree with #2.

However, with #1 and #2, those were the rules, among others, that all teams agreed to going forward.

I know. $$$$$$

I feel bad for Indiana. The brass moved the goalposts on them, and even though they lost the head 2 head against OSU I feel like they're deserving of a shot at the title.

The Gopher fan in me is glad though because the Hoosiers ending their Big Ten title drought before the Gophers would be hard to swallow. We've been underperforming for decades, but they've been worse. It'd be like watching the Detroit Lions or Cleveland Browns win the Super Bowl before the Vikings. Which might happen, BTW.

I am not going to lose any sleep over this, but if you craft a rule for this very scenario, it seems they should actually follow it. I wouldn't blame Indiana (and maybe some other members) for being a bit peeved.

If Minnesota was in Indianas position I admit Id be upset. Still, if Ohio State lost to Michigan they had the tiebreaker over Idiana anyway so I get it.

I am not going to lose any sleep over this, but if you craft a rule for this very scenario, it seems they should actually follow it. I wouldn't blame Indiana (and maybe some other members) for being a bit peeved.

If tOSU wins and gets in the CFP Indy, and all Big Ten schools will equally share the money.

Indy and any other school could refuse the money if they are upset enough. :)

Seriously the Hoosiers had a shot to beat tOSU on the field and they lost. 6-1 may get them a good Bowl game too.

Indiana lost head to head bs OSU, although they put up a hell of a fight. I don’t have any issue with OSU getting the nod in this crazy pandemic season. Chances are if the season had started on the original date in Sept OSU would be the clear East champion and everyone recognizes that, even Indiana fans.

How upset do you think Indiana fans are? They might not have a realistic path to the CFP, but now the 11th hour rule change takes them out of contention for a Big Ten championship and maybe the Rose Bowl. I am sure there are a handful of Indiana fans that were eager to cash in a long shot bet for being Big Ten champions as well.
Honestly if we were in the same position as Indiana I’d be disappointed because I’d want to sneak in an win a conference title in my lifetime...but I wouldn’t feel cheated.
If Indiana was 7-0 and the Indiana-Ohio state game was one of the missing games...then Indiana would have been treated unfairly...

there isn’t a person a world who doesn’t know Ohio state is better...and it’s more than eye test...there is a game to back it up

Total BS, IMHO. IU earned the right to play in the B1G championship based on the rules established before competition started.

Really? Two errors were made this year in my opinion. 1) This requirement of playing so many games to qualify. 2) Believe they should have a 14 day suspension as to playing a game compared to 21. Simply have a doctor sign off at 14.
Starting the games in late October, closer to when the typical flu season is ramping up, rather than September was an epic failure as well. Just stupid. SEC and ACC are going to get in 9-11 games this season

Honestly if we were in the same position as Indiana I’d be disappointed because I’d want to sneak in an win a conference title in my lifetime...but I wouldn’t feel cheated.

In that situation I wouldn’t feel like Minnesota deserved to win the conference, but I would feel cheated by the Big Ten. It is semantics but at the end of the day I would still have some heartburn over it.

A_Slab_of_Bacon beat me to it. The 2020 season has been an asterisk season from the start. There are many ways that the Big Ten could have handled this better. One additional way would have been to flatly state that with all the craziness of covid and the muffed start, they reserved the right to make future changes as necessary to deal with unforeseen conditions. That would have at least put the schools and fans on notice.

That said, this should have been a foreseen condition. Most of the schools were concerned about covid, they put strict 21-day rules in place, and therefore should have realized that there was a high likelihood that a top team would not reach six games. If they did foresee this and made the 6-game rule....then they should have stuck with it.

I wonder if they would have exempted Indiana had they beaten Ohio State but were also short of six games.

So if this an asterisk year anyway, why not just let IU play in the championship? OSU has been the East rep 4/6 years.

So if this an asterisk year anyway, why not just let IU play in the championship? OSU has been the East rep 4/6 years.
Let's be honest. Ohio state is best team and they beat indiana. If your indiana do you really feel cheated? The fans might, but does the football team really feel that way? Obviously it makes more sense for the big ten if they want a team in CFP. Makes Big more money!

Last edited:

A_Slab_of_Bacon beat me to it. The 2020 season has been an asterisk season from the start. There are many ways that the Big Ten could have handled this better. One additional way would have been to flatly state that with all the craziness of covid and the muffed start, they reserved the right to make future changes as necessary to deal with unforeseen conditions. That would have at least put the schools and fans on notice.

That said, this should have been a foreseen condition. Most of the schools were concerned about covid, they put strict 21-day rules in place, and therefore should have realized that there was a high likelihood that a top team would not reach six games. If they did foresee this and made the 6-game rule....then they should have stuck with it.

I wonder if they would have exempted Indiana had they beaten Ohio State but were also short of six games.
I think they would have.

the only way they don’t change the rule is if the two teams up for debate hadn’t played each other.

Unless you felt Ohio state would’ve lost to two of michigan, Maryland, and Illinois, Ohio state is the team that deserves to go. (And they only needed to play one of these three to be eligible)

Let me put it this way. If Ohio state played Michigan this week and lost...Ohio state would’ve still gone to the championship. That means we shouldn’t hold them out because Michigan canceled.

Totally agree. I think that a lot of fans feel cheated in some way, but most people know that Ohio State is the best team to represent the East. It makes sense, and luckily the Big Ten wasn't so rigid that they couldn't admit that a change needed to be made to the rules.

Indiana got their shot vs Ohio St.
Exactly! They should not feel cheated. They actually got the opportunity to play ohio state. I dont even know if I would feel comfortable playing in game knowing I'm not the one who should be there. Dont get me wrong I'm sure indiana in indianapolis would love to play northwestern, but it wouldnt be a true champion.

Top Bottom