Ohio State News That Affects Us

Mulligan

Reaction score
Haven't seen this posted yet. Could be big at season's end.

COLUMBUS, Ohio -- Ohio State star Evan Turner will miss 8 weeks after breaking bones in his back when he fell while dunking during Saturday's game against Eastern Michigan.

Initial X-rays indicated no serious injuries, but Buckeyes athletic trainer Vince O'Brien said later tests found transverse process fractures of the second and third lumbar vertebra of Turner's spine.

The injury occurred after the junior swingman drove the lane and was fouled going up for a dunk with 13:27 left in the first half of the No. 15 Buckeyes' game against Eastern Michigan.

Turner missed the dunk and hung on the rim with his feet flying into a nearly horizontal position, before falling on his back under the basket. He spent several minutes on the floor before walking with help to the locker room.

We play them on the 9th and 31st of January... If he is out for 8 weeks, we won't be facing Turner this year. Tough news for the Bucks and Turner... Could be a blessing in disguise though for the Bucks if this injury makes him stay for his senior year with the recruiting class they got coming in.

bad news

I hate to see this. I hope he has a full recovery.

He's a really good player, though I'm not a fan of his. That being said, the Gophers need to take advantage and pull a couple of W's from OSU. At this point, we need any W any which way we can get it.

Bad news, obviously for Turner and the Buckeyes, but also possibly for the Gophers. Let's say the Gophers face Ohio State twice when Turner's out of the lineup and they win both; the selection committee (if the Gophers are in the mix) will obviously take the fact that Turner's out of the lineup into consideration; losses with Turner out of the lineup would seemingly be devastating to the Gophers' chances.

IMO, the Gophers need everyone in the Big Ten to finish strong in the non-conference and then they need to pick off a few from Michigan St, Purdue, Wisconsin, Illinois, etc. A weakened Ohio State and a struggling Michigan do not help the Gophers at this point; we should all be pleased as punch that Northwestern's doing so well right now, especially with the weak sisters at the bottom of the conference.

I agree too bad, I always hate seeing a top big ten player go down with an injury. I hope he has a speedy recovery.

Awful news for OSU. I doubt he'll be back next year, though. He'll still be a lottery pick.

Bad news. Great player to watch. Always hate to see an injury like that to anyone.

Bad news, obviously for Turner and the Buckeyes, but also possibly for the Gophers. Let's say the Gophers face Ohio State twice when Turner's out of the lineup and they win both; the selection committee (if the Gophers are in the mix) will obviously take the fact that Turner's out of the lineup into consideration; losses with Turner out of the lineup would seemingly be devastating to the Gophers' chances.

IMO, the Gophers need everyone in the Big Ten to finish strong in the non-conference and then they need to pick off a few from Michigan St, Purdue, Wisconsin, Illinois, etc. A weakened Ohio State and a struggling Michigan do not help the Gophers at this point; we should all be pleased as punch that Northwestern's doing so well right now, especially with the weak sisters at the bottom of the conference.

It's all about W's at this point. The more wins, the higher in the standing in the conference and a better seeding at the conference tournament. If the Gophers wound up finishing 3rd or 4th in the conference, they're in the tourney regardless of whether OSU is considered 'weakened' or not. The Gophers need to finish as high on the B10 ladder as they can possibly get, any which way they can do it.

Having a bunch of strong B10 teams beat us around and we finish 7th in conference won't exactly help our cause.

Terrible news for OSU, great news for the rest of the Big 10. I hope they kid a speedy recovery and along healthy full life after basketball, but if he could be still out for both times Purdue plays that would be great.

Terrible news for OSU great news for the rest of the Big 10. I hope they kid a speedy recovery and along healthy full life after basketball, but if he could still out for both times Purdue plays that would be great.
Yeah, looks like he'll miss at least one...second game is about 10 weeks from now so maybe. I feel bad for him, but it is nice that we'll miss him at least once. But I kind of have bigger hopes for this year than the big ten season, so it's not a real big deal.

Minnesota and Wisconsin got real lucky...potential bubble teams and they'll both probably catch OSU twice w/o Turner.

Wisconsin got real lucky...potential bubble teams and they'll both probably catch OSU twice w/o Turner.

Wisconsin is not going to be a bubble team... Only loss to the Zags with a win over the Dukies? What makes you think bubble team?

Wisconsin is not going to be a bubble team... Only loss to the Zags with a win over the Dukies? What makes you think bubble team?
They could be. Yeah, they got a huge win, but I'm not totally buying into them yet. They could lose to Marquette and then I could see them as a 8-10 or 9-9 team in conference play. I'd guess they will be 10-8 or so in conference, but it's not too far-fetched that they lose a few more. Last year they only lost three out of conference, two to top-10 teams and the third to a 6-seed...and then they went 10-8 in conference and they were a bubble team.

Anyways, I said a potential bubble team. Who knows will happen between now and March. But one thing is for sure - they most likely would have lost at least one of those games to OSU and now they're most likely going to win both. They're at least going to be improving their seed from that.

Perhaps it's more correct to say that Minnesota and Wisconsin are the only two potential tournament teams that will likely miss Turner twice. Actually, they're the only two teams period.

Here was my point-if the Gophers find themselves on the bubble and they have wins over Ohio State with Turner having been out, it will affect the way the committee looks at those wins. You're correct in that if the Gophers win at a clip that places them 3rd or 4th in conference play, the point should become moot; but if the Gophers find themselves in the 5-7 range, it gets murky and a win or wins against Evan Turner and Ohio State would present them in a much better light than wins against Ohio State without Turner.

Here was my point-if the Gophers find themselves on the bubble and they have wins over Ohio State with Turner having been out, it will affect the way the committee looks at those wins. You're correct in that if the Gophers win at a clip that places them 3rd or 4th in conference play, the point should become moot; but if the Gophers find themselves in the 5-7 range, it gets murky and a win or wins against Evan Turner and Ohio State would present them in a much better light than wins against Ohio State without Turner.

I don't think they go around and discount other team's wins that way. They will give OSU the benefit of the doubt because of the injury if they are a bubble team, but I don't think it has any material impact on the Gophers unless we're on the bubble right next to them. I suppose if all of our other wins are Iowa, Indiana, PSU and Michigan and our only 'signature' wins are OSU it could have some impact.

The same could be true for the Gophers when or if we get Trevor and/or Royce back. Our 3 losses could look a lot different to the selection committee.

There are just so many variables, the only thing we have in our control is winning...let's hope we can get on the right track and take care of business!

I don't really care for him as a player but this is sad news for Ohio State. It's never good to see a player get injured, in this case, seriously.

Wishing him well and a speedy recovery.

Good point, GL if either or both Mbawke/White get back into action and the team ascends, the early season losses have to be weighed with their absence.

The simplest way for this all to shake out is for the Gophers to play solid and finish squarely in the upper division of the Big 10, take the decision out of the selection committee's hands.

I don't really care for him as a player but this is sad news for Ohio State. It's never good to see a player get injured, in this case, seriously.

Wishing him well and a speedy recovery.

Agree totally. Finally, saw the replay and it was a nasty fall. Probably worse one I've seen since J.B. Bickerstaff's.

Rough day for Ohio State basketball fans with Evan Turner and ex-Buckeye Greg Oden both suffering serious injury. I wish them both a speedy and full recovery.

The Selection Committee does consider injuries when looking at teams, but they do not consider suspensions and ineligibilities. The former you can't do anything about, the latter are self-inflicted. I'm pretty certain the Gophers won't get any rope (nor should any team with these problems) for the time Bostick & White have spent on the sidelines, but maybe they would for Mbakwe if the charges are dropped or he's acquitted. Probably a moot point; I don't think either Mbakwe or White are likely to see the court this season.

Top Bottom