Ohio State game observations

Couldn’t watch the game, but did we get any home cooking from the refs? I made the mistake of checking out a Buckeye forum (Eleven Warriors) and they were bitching incessantly about the refs. Also had some incredibly uncalled for things to say about our players (thugs, criminals, etc.). So happy we were able to deliver OSU’s fanbase their first loss of either the football or b-ball season.

The refs let them play, it was a physical game and that benefited the Gophers more than Ohio State, Gophers just played better defense, if fans want to call that home cooking so be it.

Couldn’t watch the game, but did we get any home cooking from the refs? I made the mistake of checking out a Buckeye forum (Eleven Warriors) and they were bitching incessantly about the refs. Also had some incredibly uncalled for things to say about our players (thugs, criminals, etc.). So happy we were able to deliver OSU’s fanbase their first loss of either the football or b-ball season.
OSU is probably still upset about the 1972 Brawl in the Barn

They are still upset about the 1972 game at the barn. i see Ewert beat me to it..

Thanks. Certainly not trying to put any * on the win, just curious to hear our fans thoughts. Also wasn’t around in 1972, but I understand it wasn’t the U’s proudest moment.

The crowd was intense last night. My section is a mix of older folks and younger families. The father and son in front of us turned and high fived me on multiple occasions. I don't care how old people are, it is a knowledgeable crowd at The Barn. Father was in his 50s, son in his teens. On the edge of their seat the entire game. I LOVE SEEING THIS.

The #1 way to get us fired up is to go on a run. Then the noise builds and turns into a frenzy. Opposing teams hate The Barn because its loud and crazy and a raised floor with huge ceilings.

The #2 way? Any call we perceive to be bad that goes against us. The boos rain down on the officials and it'll continue until they right their wrongs. I love The Barn.

That was probably the first time this year some of the players experienced the magic that is in that place. 10,000 strong sounds like 30,000. The echoes, everything.

As Lindsay Whalen perfectly stated “You know why it’s loud, Syl,” Whalen asked. “It’s The Barn.”
#3- Get the loose balls and offensive rebounds

#4- Play sticky defense

If the crowd thinks the players are all in, the crowd gets loud. Last night- the players led the way and the crowd followed and pushed them through.

We probably got more calls than they did but that game was not close enough to blame the outcome on officiating.

One other point I’ll make: Omersa, Oturu and Carr we’re engaging the crowd constantly. Running towards the student section to fire them up. Doing the same to other areas of the arena. Love the attitude and energy they bring. Makes me want them to win that much more
Oturu does this more than anyone I've seen. It's great. Maybe he'll have the crowd trained by the end of the season.

A couple. Nothing on the Kohl Center level though.

What are we going to be able to count on this team for this year? Best/Worst case scenarios?

What are we going to be able to count on this team for this year? Best/Worst case scenarios?

I've said this since early in the year: They'll beat some really good teams and have some frustrating losses. They are VERY young (only 1 senior plays significant minutes and he is a grad transfer) and have 3 new starters + a new rotation guy or two. Of the new starters, two of them hadn't played a competitive game in like 18 months.

Will they win the conference? No. Will they take last? No.

I think next year, if healthy and everyone stays here that can stay here + the new additions, the Gophers will be very very good.

It all seems so easy when you make shots, play good defense and rebound.

Omersa should be on the court more as last night demonstrates maybe doesn't have the offense but brings great energy and continues to improve on defense.

Omersa should be on the court more as last night demonstrates maybe doesn't have the offense but brings great energy and continues to improve on defense.

Agreed on Omersa. I think when he can stay out of foul trouble like that, he will play a lot. The games I have watched where he hasn't played much, he has usually picked up a bunch of fouls very quickly.

Omersa has a Richard Coffey type Gopher career ahead of him...perhaps even better. A better athlete than Coffey with the same will to battle and also a charismatic personality. Along side of a scorer like Oturo, you can have a guy with toughness and limited offense.

No one knows. 6-14 to 13-7 is the plausible range. 6-14 is... you are fired. 13-7 is.... long term extension. It will all be decided by close games. If they continue to play defense like they did yesterday, they won't get blown out much, a happened at Iowa.

No one knows. 6-14 to 13-7 is the plausible range. 6-14 is... you are fired. 13-7 is.... long term extension. It will all be decided by close games. If they continue to play defense like they did yesterday, they won't get blown out much, a happened at Iowa.

Iowa was not a defense issue. It was an offense issue. Giving up 72 points isn't bad. One more point than they gave up last night.

Omersa has a Richard Coffey type Gopher career ahead of him...perhaps even better. A better athlete than Coffey with the same will to battle and also a charismatic personality. Along side of a scorer like Oturo, you can have a guy with toughness and limited offense.
Love Omersa but he has a long way to go before he's compared to Coffey. Coffey played one season with the Timberwolves. Right now, I'm hoping for a more polished Myles Tarver.

They have been playing decent defense all year (with some exceptions). The real wildcard has been hitting shots.

Love Omersa but he has a long way to go before he's compared to Coffey. Coffey played one season with the Timberwolves. Right now, I'm hoping for a more polished Myles Tarver.
I am sticking with hoping for Coffey. Coffey was a 9 point 9 board guy as a senior and I think Jarvis has that in him.

No kidding. That was a ridiculous statement. A few months ago I watched part of the Gophers' NCAA run with Coffey, and he had legit skills that Omersa is a long ways from developing.

I am sticking with hoping for Coffey. Coffey was a 9 point 9 board guy as a senior and I think Jarvis has that in him.
Man, I would love for you to be right, but Coffey was in another league talent wise.

No kidding. That was a ridiculous statement. A few months ago I watched part of the Gophers' NCAA run with Coffey, and he had legit skills that Omersa is a long ways from developing.

The comparison was being made to Richard, not Amir.

Coffey developed a decent twelve foot jump shot, really understood positioning, consistently outrebounded bigger players, played physical defense and was able to stay on the floor throughout his career. He was a super smart player. Omersa hustles like crazy, plays with enthusiasm, embraces defense, but he's miles and miles from Richard Coffey in terms of value to the team.

Coffey developed a decent twelve foot jump shot, really understood positioning, consistently outrebounded bigger players, played physical defense and was able to stay on the floor throughout his career. He was a super smart player. Omersa hustles like crazy, plays with enthusiasm, embraces defense, but he's miles and miles from Richard Coffey in terms of value to the team.
I don't think the poster is trying to compare Omersa right now to Richard Coffey as an upperclassman. I think the point he is trying to make is, that by the time Omersa is a senior, the poster believes that Omersa might be improved enough to be comparable to the production Richard Coffey provided as a senior. Not saying that it WILL happen, but it's not impossible that with continued work over the next couple of seasons, Omersa COULD become a similar player.

A friend of mine and I were just discussing the fact that so many fans get locked into thinking that what a player is or was in a window of a few games recently, is what that player will always be.

Richard Coffey is kind of a funny comparison to Omersa.

Omersa is a year younger than most of the other Sophomores.

Coffey was a former Army soldier when he came to the U and was much older and developed physically to others in his college class.

Night meet Day much.

Omersa is 3-4 years away from being as physically and mentally mature as Coffey was on his FIRST DAY on campus!

Richard Coffey is kind of a funny comparison to Omersa.

Omersa is a year younger than most of the other Sophomores.

Coffey was a former Army soldier when he came to the U and was much older and developed physically to others in his college class.

Night meet Day much.

Omersa is 3-4 years away from being as physically and mentally mature as Coffey was on his FIRST DAY on campus!
No argument on that. But does that mean that it's impossible for Omersa to improve enough over the next couple of years to possibly provide a similar production stat-line to what Richard Coffey provided when he was a senior? No amount of work/practice/improvement in any part of his game could possibly result in him being able to be a 9 point, 9 rebound kind of guy? Again, not saying he WILL, because it's really impossible to predict that, but you don't believe that he has the desire, talent and will power to work hard enough to possibly get to that point?

I don't think the poster is trying to compare Omersa right now to Richard Coffey as an upperclassman. I think the point he is trying to make is, that by the time Omersa is a senior, the poster believes that Omersa might be improved enough to be comparable to the production Richard Coffey provided as a senior. Not saying that it WILL happen, but it's not impossible that with continued work over the next couple of seasons, Omersa COULD become a similar player.

A friend of mine and I were just discussing the fact that so many fans get locked into thinking that what a player is or was in a window of a few games recently, is what that player will always be.
Well stated Chico. When Richard Coffey was here as a frosh (at age 25) he was a bull of a man but his skills were so bad he could barely make a layup, his shot was...well it was more of a shot put. We had nothing for a roster that year, (team was 2-16) so he played and he was a 7 board, 6 point player in 25 minutes of pt (roughly). As a senior he became a really good player who contributed toughness, rebounding and defense at a 9 point 9 board clip. I think Omersa actually has more athletic talent than the older Richard did and I think he can develop into the kind of player Richard became. I don't know why others here think that comparison is so crazy, but so be it. Omersa has already improved by leaps and bounds in one year here. I love what he brings.

Well stated Chico. When Richard Coffey was here as a frosh (at age 25) he was a bull of a man but his skills were so bad he could barely make a layup, his shot was...well it was more of a shot put. We had nothing for a roster that year, (team was 2-16) so he played and he was a 7 board, 6 point player in 25 minutes of pt (roughly). As a senior he became a really good player who contributed toughness, rebounding and defense at a 9 point 9 board clip. I think Omersa actually has more athletic talent than the older Richard did and I think he can develop into the kind of player Richard became. I don't know why others here think that comparison is so crazy, but so be it. Omersa has already improved by leaps and bounds in one year here. I love what he brings.
I thought he was 21 as a Frosh

Top Bottom