Ohio State Football could struggle in first half vs. Minnesota

Big Ten West has had some good games versus Ohio State...

2016 WI took them to OT in Camp, 27-30.
2016 NW played Bucks tough 24-20 at Columbus...

2017 Iowa destroyed them 55-24 at Kinnick
2017 WI played them tough 27-21 in Indy....

2018 Purdue destroyed them in WL, 49-20;
2018 NE played them well 36-31 in Col (MD lost 52-51 in CP that year)...

WI was up 21-7 at half in 2019, before falling...

last year IN lost 42-3
NW up 10-6 at half last year in Indy, within 3 at end of third...

1. Fleck’s Gopher teams throughout the season start slow and finish strong(er). I’m worried a very unpolished/sloppy team shows up in Game 1.
2. I’m not convinced of Sanford as an OC. I could see the O get off to a strong start but OSU’s D figuring it out as the game goes.
3. Our D could resemble the early 2020 D.
So, I could see a 17-14 game at half turn into a 45-24 final. I sure hope a polished Gopher team shows up. If they play their A game for 4 quarters and play disciplined, I expect a one score game in either direction.
Well I don’t see it being close at half time if #1 happens. Same with number 3, if our D is still bad I expect it to show immediately, so then I wouldn’t expect a close game by halftime in that case either.

The key to this game is to start hot and get a lead. Pressure the new QB by making him have to come back from behind. Fleck knows this I'm sure. In fact the whole team and coaching staff probably knows this. I'm confident they will have an far more aggressive gameplan for the first half than usual, and I am confident our players will execute.

September will show us a lot about teams in the West.
Many face significant challenges early.
I would place my bets on teams with a proven defense because the offenses are still learning timing, signals etc in game situations.
If a team can limit scores against it there is always a chance your offense will get their act together enough to win.

September will show us a lot about teams in the West.
Many face significant challenges early.
I would place my bets on teams with a proven defense because the offenses are still learning timing, signals etc in game situations.
If a team can limit scores against it there is always a chance your offense will get their act together enough to win.
Like I’ve always said, if your team scores more than the other team, you have a good chance of winning the game.

Like I’ve always said, if your team scores more than the other team, you have a good chance of winning the game.
The point is that it is easier to score enough points to win if a team can keep the oter team from scoring rather than hope you can make up for a defective defense with an effective offense; particularly early in the season.

Ohio State lost 10 players to the NFL draft.

There has been significant coaching turnover.

Urban Meyer is no longer involved.

Ohio State is starting a new QB.

Ohio State‘s secondary was not elite in 2020. Indiana threw for 491. Alabama embarrassed Ohio State.

Minnesota can play with these guys, particularly with the returning experience. There has never been a better time in recent history to get Ohio State at home, early in the season. I can’t wait to see what happens. Giants can fade with coaching changes, personnel changes.

Ohio State‘s secondary was not elite in 2020. Indiana threw for 491. Alabama embarrassed Ohio State.

Minnesota can play with these guys, particularly with the returning experience. There has never been a better time in recent history to get Ohio State at home, early in the season. I can’t wait to see what happens. Giants can fade with coaching changes, personnel changes.
Agree with everything on the list except for loss of Urban Meyer being a negative factor. OSU seems to have moved into a new era of explosive play offense since Day has become HC. Might just be that he has had Haskins and Fields at QB. Day also recruits at a level at least equal to Meyer.

Their defense is their weak spot. Last year only held 3 of their opponents to less than 20 points, and two of those three were weak offenses that were within 7 of their season average against Ohio State. Half of their opponents either had 400+ passing yards or 200+ rushing yards against them. And that's with the 5 defensive players they lost to the draft.

The key will be playing decent defense. I'm guessing Ohio State will try to wear out the defense with runs and shorter passes and then look for a few deep passes to change the game. If the defense can limit their time on the field and limit the huge pass plays I think the offense can take care of the rest.

Agree with everything on the list except for loss of Urban Meyer being a negative factor. OSU seems to have moved into a new era of explosive play offense since Day has become HC. Might just be that he has had Haskins and Fields at QB. Day also recruits at a level at least equal to Meyer.
Well, Urban hired Day (who has retained Kevin Wilson). CJ Stroud looks to be the next in a line of excellent QBs, great passer, decent athleticism. It stands to reason OSU will continue to be a machine on offense and move the ball at will except all but the most elite defenses. MN unfortunately probably will not have an elite defense given some questions in the secondary and other spots.

The chinks in the armor for OSU could be inexperience and discombobulation on offense and defense early on. Their defense in particular has lost quite a bit and may be somewhat vulnerable. MN of has their own question marks in the passing attack.

I’m not saying OSU will be “easy”, or there is a high chance of success, but there is a reasonable chance at an upset if the right set of variables, circumstances align.

lost ten to draft plus five to NFL free agency...2 lbs, Borland and Hilliard, good punter, good kicker, and a good te

also lost 4 to portal...very good wr to bama, ot to Colorado, wr to mizzou, and a cb to ne

another db may be suspended first week...two projected starting cbs missed most of spring with injuries...osu lost all its main lbs from last year and then had some lbs injured this spring...long snapper was playing lb in some reps at spring game

Last edited:

Well, Urban hired Day (who has retained Kevin Wilson). CJ Stroud looks to be the next in a line of excellent QBs, great passer, decent athleticism. It stands to reason OSU will continue to be a machine on offense and move the ball at will except all but the most elite defenses. MN unfortunately probably will not have an elite defense given some questions in the secondary and other spots.

The chinks in the armor for OSU could be inexperience and discombobulation on offense and defense early on. Their defense in particular has lost quite a bit and may be somewhat vulnerable. MN of has their own question marks in the passing attack.

I’m not saying OSU will be “easy”, or there is a high chance of success, but there is a reasonable chance at an upset if the right set of variables, circumstances align.
Agree 100%

Top Bottom