Ohio State fires Holtmann

Refresh my memory, how many titles does OSU have?
1 title, 10 final fours and 20 big 10 conference titles. I don't like them at all but OSU and Michigan are the standards for sports programs in our conference. Obviously they don't win them every year but like I said kudos to them for not settling for mediocre at best which we seem to do a lot

Looking at OSU's season there are a few things to note. I have followed them fairly closely, as they were picked preseason in the top half of the BTN. Despite the horrific flop OSU has taken since 1/3/24 after 14 games, I suspect there is a back story that will come to light w/Holtmann, who was unable to adapt his healthy overrated roster to a higher level of play this year.
--OSU's record as of 1/3/24 was 12-2 (2-1 conf).
--Their ave. opponent TRank was a lowly #158
--Ave. TGameScore (based on many metrics, 100 max.) was 86.

Then in the next 11 games, OSU started facing much better teams in BTN (opp. TRank ave. #58), their TGameScore dropped to a horrible 66, stopped defending and stopped scoring (their Pts/100 possessions flipped w/Pts/100 poss. allowed), and stopped causing turnovers. I just don't think Holtmann had the answer to stepping up his team's level of play, and reminiscent of the mic'd up game vs MN, he got out coached. By firing him early, maybe OSU has better job opening exposure and chance to lure in the next guy as this year plays out.

Well, since only 16 coaches do each year, one who fails to do that has lots of company.

Ohio State can do whatever they want with Holtmann. I don't care. My point was that most programs would be churning through a lot of coaches and going broke paying buyouts if that was their standard.
Just a question...apologies for being too lazy to research myself. I agree with your post, but unfortunately the expectations at Ohio State are much different than here and most other places.

Yeah I’d personally be happy with hiring Holtmann. He’s a proven commodity. A couple down years, but I’d at least expect to be respectable again. Still expecting Ben to be the coach next year and hoping he can find his stride as his recruits get older.

I didn’t see that coming. Juwan Howard next?

The type of ball we are seeing with the available talent from MN this year, I would much rather keep CBJ through his 2027 contract. Likely beyond. OSU has NIL, better recruits and transfer rankings (means little imo), and they stink in the BTN. MN plays team ball and I like it, esp on the defensive end. Say what you want about winning instantly, but we're in a good spot in MN. If we bring in a bunch of 4-5 star troublemakers who aren't interested in going to class, we'll just have history repeat itself.

Holtmann was underwhelming for sure, props to OSU for pulling the trigger at this point.
Did you say the same during Pitino's underwhelming tenure? What about J Howard? Thought he'd be gone before the season started with all of his troubles, excluding the team's record. Or is Howard sacred in the eyes of the Michigan elites.

Did you say the same during Pitino's underwhelming tenure? What about J Howard? Thought he'd be gone before the season started with all of his troubles, excluding the team's record. Or is Howard sacred in the eyes of the Michigan elites.
Juwan, since he's alumni, will get another year, however it will be make it or break it. Will start the season firmly in the hot seat.

Has he made it past the first weekend of the tourney?
It IS The Ohio State University. With their $$$ and their fan base mediocrity will just simply not do. The football program was/is rumored to have issues with Ryan Day and have been/are considering making a change because he has ONLY gone 56-8 (an .875 winning percentage) since becoming Head Coach. That's what happens when you spend the kind of money tOSU does on its sports programs....the expectations get really high....

I live in Indiana but closer to Michigan than IU or Purdue so I know more MI fans than any other and I can tell you that Juwan Howard is not entirely sacred at Michigan, but he is revered. If they/he would find a graceful exit, the MI fan base would be on board, but that opportunity has not yet come. When you hire a school legend....with an NBA pedigree including several years of success at that level....and have recruited as well as Juwan Howard has (many may have been overrated and there are not many who have gotten better while at Michigan, but they were highly recruited guys with realistic NBA hopes)...it is hard to part ways. Who knows...maybe 'next year' is THE year! No MI fan I know feels that way but they HAVE felt that way more often than not over the past couple of years. If there is an exit strategy, MI will take it. If he were to leave, they would be relieved. Otherwise....IT'S COMPLICATED!

Howard is brutal - He needs to go. I'd think they have some sort of parting after this season.

Pitino I agreed needed to be gone, even though it was aggressive for U standards.

I think Ben is 4 and out if we don't make the tournament next year. Seems 50/50 in my eyes right now for if that happens. Lotta variables I suppose.

Would T Chatman be a transfer target back to MN?

I live in Indiana but closer to Michigan than IU or Purdue so I know more MI fans than any other and I can tell you that Juwan Howard is not entirely sacred at Michigan, but he is revered. If they/he would find a graceful exit, the MI fan base would be on board, but that opportunity has not yet come. When you hire a school legend....with an NBA pedigree including several years of success at that level....and have recruited as well as Juwan Howard has (many may have been overrated and there are not many who have gotten better while at Michigan, but they were highly recruited guys with realistic NBA hopes)...it is hard to part ways. Who knows...maybe 'next year' is THE year! No MI fan I know feels that way but they HAVE felt that way more often than not over the past couple of years. If there is an exit strategy, MI will take it. If he were to leave, they would be relieved. Otherwise....IT'S COMPLICATED!
Lindsay Whalen 2.0?

Would T Chatman be a transfer target back to MN?
I would be interested in it and I think it'd finally give us the right amount of guard depth. He might be fighting for minutes with Asuma/Carrington if he came here and I think his pops might find him a landing spot with easier minutes.

Two years of not making the tournament.

If your first 5 seasons all end with the NCAA tournament (or COVID), it tends to buy you a few more years.
TRUE, but he had players his first 2-3 years that he didn't recruit. He also didn't have 10 new players 2 years in a row.

I would assume Chatman will transfer.....but not the gophers. I don't think he is better than what we have. He doesn't play with a HIGH MAJOR MOTOR IMO

TRUE, but he had players his first 2-3 years that he didn't recruit. He also didn't have 10 new players 2 years in a row.
Yeah, I'm not defending Holtmann. I am just saying that Ohio State didn't live through 7 years of horrible basketball.

To me, it's not his record, which is below average for Michigan, it's the other behavior, specifically the abhorrent incident after the WI game. Understand the fans wanting him to succeed.

Howard is brutal - He needs to go. I'd think they have some sort of parting after this season.

Pitino I agreed needed to be gone, even though it was aggressive for U standards.

I think Ben is 4 and out if we don't make the tournament next year. Seems 50/50 in my eyes right now for if that happens. Lotta variables I suppose.
agree.

Top Bottom