Ohio State coach Ryan Day puts a number on NIL cost, says Buckeyes need $13 million to keep roster intact

This post is spot on.

If if the NCAA has the balls and brains to wise up and try to put an end to this tampering ... I wonder if we'll see those top teams finally break away and use that as their reason to do so.

An independent SEC can't be sanctioned for "stealing" players from NCAA teams, by offering them huge money and the ability to play right away (even in the same season!).
Explain "Put an end to this tampering" please.

Explain "Put an end to this tampering" please.
Try to, emphasis on try, as opposed wild west.

1) end free transfer for undergraduates
2) actually investigate some allegations of inducements that took place

Try to, emphasis on try, as opposed wild west.

1) end free transfer for undergraduates
2) actually investigate some allegations of inducements that took place
The NCAA is toothless at this point. But realistically, they have been for years now.
And if anyone doesn't think the top programs have been paying players for decades, they are terribly naive.

Only a matter of days til someone somewhere is killed over NIL money.

Why not let the players have it all? Let them build stadiums, negotiate TV contracts, charter flights, make schedules, sell beer, and park cars. Anybody can do it.
I think the players would probably do a much better job at those tasks than the coaches and administrators would do playing football.

The last paragraph is the bigger problem I think. The unrestricted motion is going to be bad for the game that college sports were meant to be (ie playing for your school). Instead it’s going to move towards playing for the name on your back for a some people and that, to me, will diminish the game. Will it hurt overall fan allegiance and viewership (will people shift to the NFL instead if their expectation is their team will just have their top guys raided yearly?) and then start to hurt college sports’ bottom line?

The next few years will be interesting to watch. The lack of salary cap and losing all our best players is why I stopped watching baseball and the Twins back when I realized how it worked. Hopefully doesn’t end up the same way here
Agree....to me NIL doesn't really change recruiting all that much for us. We weren't in the mix for the guys commanding the big paydays anyway.

A FAR bigger concern is teams using NIL to poach players off of other rosters. NIL and the free transfer in conjunction with each other is a terrible combination that makes it very easy for boosters to tamper with other rosters behind the scenes.

Agree....to me NIL doesn't really change recruiting all that much for us. We weren't in the mix for the guys commanding the big paydays anyway.

A FAR bigger concern is teams using NIL to poach players off of other rosters. NIL and the free transfer in conjunction with each other is a terrible combination that makes it very easy for boosters to tamper with other rosters behind the scenes.
Like when the U takes a 2 or 3 star and develops then to a desirable 4 star

NIL has taken an ugly turn and will sink college sports.

without being overly dramatic, I do sense that big-time college FB - and possible basketball - is heading toward a crossroads with NIL.

as things currently stand, it's already difficult for a school like MN to compete with the top-20 or top-25 level schools.

when you add in NIL, I think it goes from difficult to impossible.

If schools can buy players, the schools with the most money will dominate FB and hoops to an even higher degree than they already do.

so a school like MN has to choose - do you continue to try and compete in an impossible situation, or do you get together with other schools at your level and create your own system?

and that is the point where the NCAA splits or re-organizes.

100%. There have always been the have and the have nots in big time college athletics. Competitive advantage has always been tilted. But with the way the NIL is going....any semblance of competitive advantage is going to evaporate. At that point....can rules be put into place governing the extent of the NIL? Maybe the NCAA simply fractures and certain teams start playing as semi-pro feeder teams. I really have no idea.

Top Bottom