Ohio State coach Ryan Day puts a number on NIL cost, says Buckeyes need $13 million to keep roster intact

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Sallee:

The debate on how to properly govern name, image and likeness in college football has been raging ever since laws were passed at the state level last year. Partially fueling the debate is a relative lack of knowledge of just how much money is being funneled to players through third-party "collectives." However, Ohio State coach Ryan Day has pegged an actual dollar figure on what his program needs just to maintain a championship-caliber roster in college football's new world.

Day and Buckeyes athletic director Gene Smith told business leaders in Columbus that they'll need $13 million in NIL money just to keep their roster intact, according to Cleveland.com. Day believes that total would include money generated through collectives that have been created since the NIL policies went into place.

"One phone call, and they're [players] out the door," Day said. "We cannot let that happen at Ohio State. I'm not trying to sound the alarm, I'm just trying to be transparent about what we're dealing with."

Day doesn't feel like that $13 million figure is going too far when it compares to what other schools are doing, or could do in the future, with their NIL programs.

"If the speed limit's 45 miles per hour, and you drive 45 miles per hour, a lot of people are going to pass you by," Day said. "If you go too fast, you're going to get pulled over."

Some of the numbers that have been tossed around since last summer are staggering. Former Ohio State quarterback Quinn Ewers reportedly signed a $1.4 million NIL deal prior to the Buckeyes' first game last season. He eventually transferred to Texas after not taking a meaningful snap. It's safe to say that current Ohio State quarterback and Heisman Trophy finalist C.J. Stroud is worth much more than that after his performance in 2021.

Alabama coach Nick Saban said that quarterback Bryce Young -- the eventual winner of the Heisman Trophy -- was approaching $1 million in NIL money before the 2021 season even began. The Athletic reported earlier this year that an unnamed five-star QB in the 2023 recruiting class has agreed to a deal that could pay him upwards of $8 million. Sports Illustrated reported in May that the entry point for recruiting in the NIL era is around $5 million.

Day's $13 million statement comes on the heels of the high-profile feud between Alabama coach Nick Saban and Texas A&M coach Jimbo Fisher, ignited by Saban's claim that the Aggies "bought" every player on their team (Texas A&M's 2022 class is rated as the best of all time by 247Sports). Saban said earlier this week that there needs to be uniformity to what seems like an out-of-control aspect of college athletics.

Go Gophers!!

The colleges, coaches, and administrators made millions off the players for years. Now the chickens have come home to roost.

Yuck. I'll keep cheering for my Gophers...for now; but I wonder if all of this will sour the taste of college athletics for me. I gave up watching paid athletes (NFL) years ago; however I feel this will be more like MLB - the big guns will pay the big money because they can.
Dang it.

maybe the Gophers can have a bake sale.

they sure as heck are not coming up with anything close to $13 mill.

The NIL era is a historic opportunity for delusional but successful business owners or other acquirers of wealth “via other means” to be de facto “owners” of a sports franchise, considering pro teams are still mostly and increasingly the enclave of the world’s top tier financial hegenomists. The nouveau owners get to take part in selecting, recruiting, coaching the “college” players, get a hotline to the coaches box and so on. Probably some bragging rights and tweet owns of their pals and biz competitors, to boot. There has never been a better time to be a new money billionaire or demi-billionaire.

The NIL era is a historic opportunity for delusional but successful business owners or other acquirers of wealth “via other means” to be de facto “owners” of a sports franchise, considering pro teams are still mostly and increasingly the enclave of the world’s top tier financial hegenomists. The nouveau owners get to take part in selecting, recruiting, coaching the “college” players, get a hotline to the coaches box and so on. Probably some bragging rights and tweet owns of their pals and biz competitors, to boot. There has never been a better time to be a new money billionaire or demi-billionaire.
Denny Hecker's and Tom Petters' dreams come true.

That might qualify as the dumbest post this year - no, maybe ever on GH.
Thank you. I've perhaps reached the pinnacle of my life with such an accolade. It's not often one receives recognition from someone with your stature. Right Pete? I've read your comments over the years. If stupidity was a virtue, and perhaps it has become one, your in line for Sainthood. Just remember to tape your knuckles every once in a while, don't let them get infected from dragging them on the ground. Keep trying Pete, even if you're deficient mentally you should have your time in the sun. Not too long though. My thoughts and prayers are with you.

Feels like Gophers still have the capability to compete with a team like OSU, if everything goes our way.

But 13 million? We will be left in the dust.

Yuck. I'll keep cheering for my Gophers...for now; but I wonder if all of this will sour the taste of college athletics for me. I gave up watching paid athletes (NFL) years ago; however I feel this will be more like MLB - the big guns will pay the big money because they can.
Dang it.
Correct.
Appears it is over.
Really wish Mason would have stopped Chris Perry back in the day.

Feels like Gophers still have the capability to compete with a team like OSU, if everything goes our way.

But 13 million? We will be left in the dust.

We will? Ohio St has had far superior athletes and players compared to us for decades. This changes very little. If anything they will potentially lose more players to other big NIL schools.

We will? Ohio St has had far superior athletes and players compared to us for decades. This changes very little. If anything they will potentially lose more players to other big NIL schools.
I would think so. Because we do get the occasional higher rated recruit. I would expect less of that. Could be right about OSU as well. Maybe they can't compete either.

I would like to think that this was essentially going to be the deal for us and programs like ours in the new NIL world, the whole time.

The "ooohh aahhhs" were going to be mostly for major recruits, that we weren't getting anyway other than a once in a while local kid who stayed home.

We've buttered our bread on 3* guys (and 3* who later got upgraded to low 4*) since forever, and those are guys who largely are just happy to have a chance to compete in the Big Ten and perhaps try to build themselves up into NFL prospects, while getting school paid for. Any little thing extra (even $10k a year), is just icing (and beer money).

I'll take those guys. Coach'em'up and let's play ball.

I would like to think that this was essentially going to be the deal for us and programs like ours in the new NIL world, the whole time.

The "ooohh aahhhs" were going to be mostly for major recruits, that we weren't getting anyway other than a once in a while local kid who stayed home.

We've buttered our bread on 3* guys (and 3* who later got upgraded to low 4*) since forever, and those are guys who largely are just happy to have a chance to compete in the Big Ten and perhaps try to build themselves up into NFL prospects, while getting school paid for. Any little thing extra (even $10k a year), is just icing (and beer money).

I'll take those guys. Coach'em'up and let's play ball.
Sounds good. There might be a problem though after they are coached up and some SEC school decides they need a Bateman or a Schmitz.

Yes. No doubt about that.

I am hoping for an end of being able to play immediately if you transfer as an undergrad. It's the only effective solution against tampering.
Yes, that seems to be one of the more effective options available. Doesn't stop the buying of 5-Stars right out of high school but most schools aren't at that level anyway. As others have said, it gets the buying more out in the open. With the advantage the Blue Bloods in basketball and the top schools in football already have because of national media and especially ESPN, it seems to make it even more unfair.

USC already poached Oklahoma's coach. Wonder if the top coaches will start following the NIL money. Day doesn't get his 13 million to play with and in a couple of years poor Ryan will say, "Screw it. I'm going down to Texas."

without being overly dramatic, I do sense that big-time college FB - and possible basketball - is heading toward a crossroads with NIL.

as things currently stand, it's already difficult for a school like MN to compete with the top-20 or top-25 level schools.

when you add in NIL, I think it goes from difficult to impossible.

If schools can buy players, the schools with the most money will dominate FB and hoops to an even higher degree than they already do.

so a school like MN has to choose - do you continue to try and compete in an impossible situation, or do you get together with other schools at your level and create your own system?

and that is the point where the NCAA splits or re-organizes.

It will likely be all relative. Ohio State, Oklahoma, Alabama, etc. will get the very best players (as they have for decades). The next teir will get the next best players (as they have for decades). And, the tier after that will get the third tier players (as they have for decades).

There might be some schools who haven't been great lately, who have a combination of deeper pockets, more supportive boosters, better geography to get players, etc., who could rise up (SMU, Houston, Nebraska, etc).

But at the end of the day, Minnesota is likely going to get the same players or type of players they have been getting. Same with Ohio State and Michigan and Iowa and Wisconsin.

I might add, if $13 million can get you Ohio State's roster, I actually think it would be a great investment for the U to figure out how to make a go of it. $13 million/year to be in Big Ten and CFP contention almost annually? Seriously, it would be a great investment if they could raise it.

Day was speaking of $13M per year (sure to escalate over time) to “maintain” existing talent. NIL quickly morphed from hypothesized corporate sponsorships with a presumed commercial basis to legalization of enormous booster-funded bribes with no pretense of a commercial basis. Still morphing: Day’s comments show that booster collectives are moving emphasis from HS recruits (save for the most compelling cases at the most important positions) to poaching if proven college-level talent via the transfer portal . Why pay big bucks for unproven HS talent when you can buy proven, battle-tested free agents via the transfer portal?

As the battle for proven transferees escalates, and the dollars reach epic heights, the top NIL schools will no longer have to worry about the 85 man scholarship cap. The extra 20 players in the 105 roster cap will all be on NIL funded scholarship equivalents. The lesser tier NIL schools might become developmental programs for the top tier to cherry pick, via the portal, at the conclusion of each season. This form of roster raiding forced most professional sports to enact safety valves: salary caps and/or luxury taxes to keep the playing field competitive. Currently no safety valve is college football.

Doesn't Minnesota have a plan in the works to pay all athletes in all sports?

Back to this topic...$13 million dollars is not a lot of money in 2022. Then again, it is a fortune.
It all depends on your perspective but individual players make $50 million plus per season now and that doesn't count all their other income, which for some players is more than that.

So, I think it's more a question of are we going to do it or not? Not that we couldn't. If all it cost was $13 million a year and we could fight for National Championships annually, it truly would be a great investment. One run generated more than that for Saint Peters.

Thank you. I've perhaps reached the pinnacle of my life with such an accolade. It's not often one receives recognition from someone with your stature. Right Pete? I've read your comments over the years. If stupidity was a virtue, and perhaps it has become one, your in line for Sainthood. Just remember to tape your knuckles every once in a while, don't let them get infected from dragging them on the ground. Keep trying Pete, even if you're deficient mentally you should have your time in the sun. Not too long though. My thoughts and prayers are with you.
Remember when you go outside, take your umbrella. You’re not smart enough to get out of the rain.

without being overly dramatic, I do sense that big-time college FB - and possible basketball - is heading toward a crossroads with NIL.

as things currently stand, it's already difficult for a school like MN to compete with the top-20 or top-25 level schools.

when you add in NIL, I think it goes from difficult to impossible.

If schools can buy players, the schools with the most money will dominate FB and hoops to an even higher degree than they already do.

so a school like MN has to choose - do you continue to try and compete in an impossible situation, or do you get together with other schools at your level and create your own system?

Maybe we can join the Bison's in football.

The colleges, coaches, and administrators made millions off the players for years. Now the chickens have come home to roost.
I am thinking of MBIII. He sacrificed his long-term health playing the game he loved with gusto for the Gophers.

Day was speaking of $13M per year (sure to escalate over time) to “maintain” existing talent. NIL quickly morphed from hypothesized corporate sponsorships with a presumed commercial basis to legalization of enormous booster-funded bribes with no pretense of a commercial basis. Still morphing: Day’s comments show that booster collectives are moving emphasis from HS recruits (save for the most compelling cases at the most important positions) to poaching if proven college-level talent via the transfer portal . Why pay big bucks for unproven HS talent when you can buy proven, battle-tested free agents via the transfer portal?

As the battle for proven transferees escalates, and the dollars reach epic heights, the top NIL schools will no longer have to worry about the 85 man scholarship cap. The extra 20 players in the 105 roster cap will all be on NIL funded scholarship equivalents. The lesser tier NIL schools might become developmental programs for the top tier to cherry pick, via the portal, at the conclusion of each season. This form of roster raiding forced most professional sports to enact safety valves: salary caps and/or luxury taxes to keep the playing field competitive. Currently no safety valve is college football.
This post is spot on.

If if the NCAA has the balls and brains to wise up and try to put an end to this tampering ... I wonder if we'll see those top teams finally break away and use that as their reason to do so.

An independent SEC can't be sanctioned for "stealing" players from NCAA teams, by offering them huge money and the ability to play right away (even in the same season!).

The last paragraph is the bigger problem I think. The unrestricted motion is going to be bad for the game that college sports were meant to be (ie playing for your school). Instead it’s going to move towards playing for the name on your back for a some people and that, to me, will diminish the game. Will it hurt overall fan allegiance and viewership (will people shift to the NFL instead if their expectation is their team will just have their top guys raided yearly?) and then start to hurt college sports’ bottom line?

The next few years will be interesting to watch. The lack of salary cap and losing all our best players is why I stopped watching baseball and the Twins back when I realized how it worked. Hopefully doesn’t end up the same way here

A few more high profile NIL flops and things will settle into some sort of normalcy.

Top Bottom