Ohio State AD Gene Smith says recruits are demanding $5,000 to just visit campus.

NFL & NBA just need to lower the age of eligibility and the worst parts of NIL go away
NFL can't really lower their age. In the NBA it is possible for someone to compete right out of high school if they are good enough. It would be super rare to find a true freshman that can physically compete in the NFL, most guys need a few years to develop before they are physically ready to compete against the grown men playing in the NFL.

IIRC the California legislature set the NIL trend and other states soon followed suit. The NCAA has taken a hands off approach, no stomach for further litigation I guess.

As I recall it and I could be wrong the recent Supreme Court decision some reference was specifically regarding total cost of attendance, not NIL, but in his addendum beer guy Kavanaugh signaled that attempts to limit compensation whether third party NIL or direct payment might not pass mustard if it crosses their desk.

The NCAA punted on this, pure and simple. Picking their battles. If you like NIL, realignment, conference collapses you’ll love what’s next. Legislation proposals enabling employee status, bargaining power, work stoppages. Hold on to your hats.
My reference to the Supreme Court/NIL was O'Bannon vs NCAA. US District Court ruled in favor of O'Bannon. Supreme Court rejected NCAA Appeal.

NFL can't really lower their age. In the NBA it is possible for someone to compete right out of high school if they are good enough. It would be super rare to find a true freshman that can physically compete in the NFL, most guys need a few years to develop before they are physically ready to compete against the grown men playing in the NFL.
Stop restricting their rights. They should be allowed to enter the contract if both sides want it.

The NCAA employs around 100 lawyers but they need help from a department of the Federal government to make rules?

Well, they asked Congress to help them so, apparently, they felt their current infrastructure and authority were not sufficient. I used the Treasury Department (which includes the IRS) as an example because that agency has considerable expertise in making rules and providing guidance for permissible activities, valuation issues, and reporting and compliance procedures.

You know, not all of us are dumb asses who need our thinking challenged by you.

Can guarantee with very few exceptions, the NFL doesn’t want to deal with 18 year olds straight out of high school.
Then it shouldn’t be an issue.

I greatly dislike where CFB is headed and rather they’d just make them be employees, have a salary cap, etc. Would iron this out be would require a governing body and universities being ok with having to pony up to guarantee some more things on their end

My reference to the Supreme Court/NIL was O'Bannon vs NCAA. US District Court ruled in favor of O'Bannon. Supreme Court rejected NCAA Appeal.

It doesn’t appear the ultimate ruling on O’Bannon applied to NIL either, rather limits on education-related benefits. It doesn’t matter, either way. The NCAA has stepped aside on the issue.

While O’Bannon prevailed at the Ninth Circuit, he and many college athlete advocates hoped that the Supreme Court would review the case and decree a more substantial remedy. There were expectations, for example, that student-athletes might receive significant compensation through licensing agreements and other arrangements related to broadcasts and other commercial products. (In 2013, Electronic Arts reached a $40 million settlement to resolve related name, image and likeness claims connected to the company’s college video games.) The Ninth Circuit essentially rejected more substantial remedies. It instead reasoned that, by allowing colleges to offer student-athletes additional compensation up to the full cost of attendance, the NCAA cures the antitrust harm caused by its otherwise unlawful amateurism rules. Such a measure is already in place, meaning the Ninth Circuit’s ruling in O’Bannon compels no additional changes of the NCAA or its member schools, conferences and other affiliated organizations.

Two of the three Ninth Circuit judges also vacated a more substantial remedy imposed earlier in the litigation by U.S. District Judge Claudia Wilken. In 2014, Judge Wilken ruled that colleges must reward men’s basketball and football players up to $5,000 per year while they are in school for the use of their names, images and likenesses, with payment made after they graduate. This idea encountered problems for several reasons, including that it was never clear why $5,000 and not $1,000, $10,000, $100,000 or some other number was the appropriate cap or, for that matter, why any fixed cap was appropriate under antitrust law—an area of law that promotes competition. To the disappointment of some, the Ninth Circuit’s ruling ensures that a payment system won’t be implanted. As a result, the NCAA’s controversial system of “amateurism” largely remains in place.

Last edited:

Well, they asked Congress to help them so, apparently, they felt their current infrastructure and authority were not sufficient. I used the Treasury Department (which includes the IRS) as an example because that agency has considerable expertise in making rules and providing guidance for permissible activities, valuation issues, and reporting and compliance procedures.

You know, not all of us are dumb asses who need our thinking challenged by you.
Funny you mentioned dumb asses. I didn’t. The U. S. Congress makes Federal law, not rules. The NCAA literally makes rules for the member institutions they govern.

What the headline really says: Ohio State loses top recruits to Alabama, Texas A&M, Georgia etc
We'd be number one in recruiting but because the other guys cheat (we don't of course) therefore we are ranked #2 ... so, I'm going to whine.

There’s huge money…$ billions! In college football and It’s all because young men train like hell and risk their physical and mental health and well being. The courts have now ruled that these kids can sell their services. What a tragedy.

If any of us owned a business that had an injury rate approaching either high school or college football the government would shut us down. And now the 18 year old fodder can sell their services? What a tragic disservice to us fans.

Even worse, the colleges who raise the most money are most successful at getting the best athletes. Gee, guess who gets the best engineers? Apple computer or Johnny Smith’s electronics.

There’s huge money…$ billions! In college football and It’s all because young men train like hell and risk their physical and mental health and well being. The courts have now ruled that these kids can sell their services. What a tragedy.

If any of us owned a business that had an injury rate approaching either high school or college football the government would shut us down. And now the 18 year old fodder can sell their services? What a tragic disservice to us fans.

Even worse, the colleges who raise the most money are most successful at getting the best athletes. Gee, guess who gets the best engineers? Apple computer or Johnny Smith’s electronics.
What about the 16-year old soccer or basketball player that suffers an almost equal injury rate? Should they shut that down?

They aren't selling anything. It's exactly the same thing as a no-show job. It's just a unjust way to take an under the table McD's bag filled with cash and bring it over the table, but with exactly the same form and function.

What about the 16-year old soccer or basketball player that suffers an almost equal injury rate? Should they shut that down?
I think his point more so is that those players who risk injury should be able to seek compensation for the work they do and the risk they take. And I would say the same applies for those 16 year old soccer and basketball players.

I think his point more so is that those players who risk injury should be able to seek compensation for the work they do and the risk they take. And I would say the same applies for those 16 year old soccer and basketball players.
So then they should get that compensation from the school/team that has them play. With some regulation/oversight in place the same as any other business you get to sell your goods and services in

Correct me if I’m wrong but you’re suggesting high school players should have employee status? Or just NIL rights.

So then they should get that compensation from the school/team that has them play. With some regulation/oversight in place the same as any other business you get to sell your goods and services in
Employment status is another separate issue from NIL, but as far as I know normal businesses that I would sell my services to aren’t prohibited from paying me a bunch of money to do so.

Well I'm apparently doing this all wrong. So instead of paying ~$2000 a year for my son to play soccer, he should be getting paid to play?

Well I'm apparently doing this all wrong. So instead of paying ~$2000 a year for my son to play soccer, he should be getting paid to play?
No, but if some whacko rich guy wanted to pay him to play, that should be for him (with guidance from dad) to decide.

Employment status is another separate issue from NIL, but as far as I know normal businesses that I would sell my services to aren’t prohibited from paying me a bunch of money to do so.
I agree and that’s my issue with NIL. Just make them employees, sign contracts, etc. instead of this weird charade using NIL and make it so they can be treated like contracted employees. Maybe they’re doing all of this when they “sign” these current NIL deals, but that’s not how the market is currently coming across

No, but if some whacko rich guy wanted to pay him to play, that should be for him (with guidance from dad) to decide.
Do you feel amateur sports should be allowed to exist?

Can guarantee with very few exceptions, the NFL doesn’t want to deal with 18 year olds straight out of high school.
All the more reason that nil needs to be available. Let’s face the fact that college football is the “…o.j.t. farm system for the NFL. NFL owners got a free pass by setting an age limit for signing underaged players thereby instilling discipline in their franchise owners by not allowing them to draft sure fire, can’t miss five star projected stars right out of their senior (or junior year) of h.s. They don’t have liability for either the immaturity of an 18 y.o. potential super star or the future compensation in the event of career threatening injuries. And, they get the chance to see the players in action in a higher level of competition without making a financial $$$ big buck investment in a “kid”.

let’s face it: the NFL has a tough enough time baby sitting players who have been…in the league for one or more seasons.

It is a win/win situation for the NFL, the colleges and the young athletes. It sure does irritate any number of fans though.

; o )

Last edited:

But will Alabama and Ohio St be junk like Apple products?

I’m always surprised by the number of fans that think if players are reclassified as employees college sports will carry on as before, just with W-2 salary and benefits. It’s hard to imagine all the wide-reaching ramifications on athletic departments, football programs, non-revenue programs, realignment incentives.

Did you ever know a high school athlete who wasn’t playing because he loved his sport?

I’m always surprised by the number of fans that think if players are reclassified as employees college sports will carry on as before, just with W-2 salary and benefits. It’s hard to imagine all the wide-reaching ramifications on athletic departments, football programs, non-revenue programs, realignment incentives.
It wouldn’t, but it would end this charade of amateurism as well as put the universities on the hook for more, which I am in support of given they’re reaping unholy sums of money while pushing boosters to line kids pockets while taking on little risk themselves. Some teams would balk and cut programs or their contracts would be worse, but that would be the discussion around salary caps

Top Bottom