Ohio St backup QB thinks classes are pointless because ‘we ain’t come to play SCHOOL'

Can Ohio State give this kid's scholarship that pays TUITION to a student that is actually attending CLASSES? If athletic activity needs to be involved tell the lucky student to play ultimate at least once a week whilst wear a State University of the Ohio T-shirt. Problem solved.

Seriously, no reason a public university should fork over tuition money for this kid (at least in my opinion). All the more to praise Kill for driving academics into the team's head, and putting into perspective how fortunate for having the opportunity to play for the U.

This is so overblown. It was a twitter comment. I'm sure he did it without thinking, much like many of us would do at age 18. I wouldn't be surprised if a kid at Augsburg, St. Thomas, or St. Olaf made the same comment... Only difference is that no cares what that kid would say. How many high school kids non-chalently say, "schools a joke, I am only here to play sports..."

I, for one, am glad that there was not a "twitter" or "facebook" when I was in school. We were just hoping someone didn't have a camera with them to take a picture of one of us doing something stupid...

This is so overblown. It was a twitter comment. I'm sure he did it without thinking, much like many of us would do at age 18. I wouldn't be surprised if a kid at Augsburg, St. Thomas, or St. Olaf made the same comment... Only difference is that no cares what that kid would say. How many high school kids non-chalently say, "schools a joke, I am only here to play sports..."

I, for one, am glad that there was not a "twitter" or "facebook" when I was in school. We were just hoping someone didn't have a camera with them to take a picture of one of us doing something stupid...

I agree with most of what you're saying, but there's no need to infantilize 18-year-olds. Eighteen-year-olds in general are very smart and a lot more savvy than most give them credit for.

Not sure I 100% agree with this. College hockey still has plenty of talent even with Major Juniors available. This may be due to players being able to stay in school after being drafted though.

There are very few college hockey programs though, compared to football, basketball, baseball, etc.
Most of the top talent in NCAA hockey is either Americans (who are accustomed to the college sports route) or lower end Canadian players who either aren't quite good enough to play major junior for a year or two, or actually do want the education.

There are very few college hockey programs though, compared to football, basketball, baseball, etc.
Most of the top talent in NCAA hockey is either Americans (who are accustomed to the college sports route) or lower end Canadian players who either aren't quite good enough to play major junior for a year or two, or actually do want the education.

There are also very few high school hockey teams, compared to other sports.

I agree with most of what you're saying, but there's no need to infantilize 18-year-olds. Eighteen-year-olds in general are very smart and a lot more savvy than most give them credit for.

There are also a few of 18 year olds that have the intelligence of 13 year old. This may be one.

Restricting college athletics to only the kids that want to be in college would not raise the profile of college athletics. It would lower it, drastically. Most of the better players would play in the alternative minor league system that formed, and most of those who were smart but still good enough to play in this alternative minor league would do so for a chance at the NFL. What is now Division I would essentially become the MIAC.

Yes, it would cause some of the best talent to go to the minor pro league. But, it would be honest college football and every school would have the same talent losses so competition would not suffer. And real students would have more seats in class. I understand the view that football excellence trumps academics -- I just don't agree with it.

Top Bottom