Oh no, Coyle, you didn't! (Did you?)

I guess I just don't understand how this was so misleading, unless someone saw a headline and thought by default every seat would be cheaper, which would be silly on the part of the reader.

Here's the press release, it specifically calls out which sections (how many in each zone) get cheaper for bball and hockey and then notes that no seats will increase in cost - a reasonable reader can infer that the remaining sections will be the same total price as last year. https://gophersports.com/news/2019/...nnounced-for-mens-basketball-mens-hockey.aspx

Here's the tweet, it says "starting at", highlights the decrease in the starting price specifically, and calls out the seats that don't require a donation - a reasonable reader can infer that the non-donation seats are the ones getting cheaper. https://twitter.com/GopherSports/status/1118925367018950659

What type of organization would put out a press release on their own behalf saying "Gopher Sports keeps some ticket pricing the same?" when the real story is that they lowered the price for a bunch of tickets and made it easier to get in the door. That would make zero sense.

The reality is many don't pay any attention to the actual content they just grab onto a word or two and then it is off to the keyboard to rant and rave about the evils of this person or that organization. So many people anymore just want to find a reason to be outraged, doesn't really matter to them if there is actually a reason to be outraged as long as they can go on line and complain about it.

I don't understand this post. The prices definitely dropped significantly for hockey. I found a 2014 -2015 season ticket map

It's not like the prices have gone down since 2014 so I assume it's actually even more of a price decline than that. I feel like the author here was just making **** up.
There was a $50 price drop in 2015. My ticket costs are below. If I had stayed in section 4 my price would now be $150 lower than it was in 13-14. They are trying to get new STH in the door while the current ones continue to trickle out.

In the same time sections 3 and 23, good seats, have gone from 850 a pop to 500.

2013-14: 750/850/950/1050 + 231 parking + 20 processing fee (Section 4)
2014-15: 750/850/950/1050 + 231 + 25
2015-16: 750/850/950/1050 + 231 + 30

2016-17: 700/800/900/1000 + 170 + 30
2017-18: 700/800/900/1000 + 200 + 30
2018-19: 600/800/900/1000 + 210 + 30
2019-20: 500/700/900/1000 + ??? + ?? (sections 3 and 23 move to zone 4 from 3)

Last edited:

At some point a lot of schools are going to have to concede that the real money is in television and other forms of digital mass distribution (BTN) and make sporting tickets be like getting tickets to the taping of The Daily Show or something. The TV product which makes the real money is better when the stadium is full, so there's incentive to almost give tickets away to liven up the TV show.

Yep nailed it. That is the future of live sporting events I think, college and pro.

In every thread about tickets and attendance, there is the same people who passionately defend the U, their marketing, and Coyle and insist there is no problems and that every else are just complainers. That is fine everyone is entitled to their opinion, but the fact still remains that attendance continues to be a problem in our 3 major sports and that it appears to be getting worse. The argument can be made all day long that the U and their leadership are doing everything correct, but all the defense in the world of them doesn't seem to be convincing anyone to show up and watch the games.

In every thread about tickets and attendance, there is the same people who passionately defend the U, their marketing, and Coyle and insist there is no problems and that every else are just complainers. That is fine everyone is entitled to their opinion, but the fact still remains that attendance continues to be a problem in our 3 major sports and that it appears to be getting worse. The argument can be made all day long that the U and their leadership are doing everything correct, but all the defense in the world of them doesn't seem to be convincing anyone to show up and watch the games.

No doubt, attendance is a problem at all 3 sports. This latest change is an effort to increase butts in seats for hoops and puck. Let it play out before declaring it a failure.

The marketing at the U has been bad for a long long long time. The U has always refused to really push the sports that actually make money over the ones that don't because they don't want to look like they are favoring one over another. There are definitely problems.

That said, the people bashing the U for this particular change are being short sighted and doing it mostly on the principle that they believe Coyle and the department can't do anything right and only want to screw over and mislead the fans.

That said, the people bashing the U for this particular change are being short sighted and doing it mostly on the principle that <b>they believe Coyle and the department can't do anything right and only want to screw over and mislead the fans.</b>

I don’t think anyone has said that is the ‘only’ thing they want to do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The marketing at the U has been bad for a long long long time. The U has always refused to really push the sports that actually make money over the ones that don't because they don't want to look like they are favoring one over another. There are definitely problems.

That said, the people bashing the U for this particular change are being short sighted and doing it mostly on the principle that they believe Coyle and the department can't do anything right and only want to screw over and mislead the fans.

It could also be that they want solid attendance at the games and the athletic department to succeed? Just throwing out an alternative theory.

Top Bottom