Oh Happy Day!! Coyle announces 2017 football ticket increases will NOT happen!

Someone smarter than me help me understand. I read it as we will still have scholarship donations but they will remain at the current rate. Is that correct? I read it that it won't implement the outrageous 2017 increase.

Correct.

Fill the stadium, and you will make more money on concessions than you would donation increases. I spend about $50 each game on beer and food, and I am lower than most in our group of 20. Now I just realized I spend $350 each year in concessions. Yikes!

Fill the stadium, and you will make more money on concessions than you would donation increases. I spend about $50 each game on beer and food, and I am lower than most in our group of 20. Now I just realized I spend $350 each year in concessions. Yikes!

Wow, yeah I don't spend anywhere near my "donation" level.

Not saying your premise is wrong, but you have to understand that the money you spend on concessions are not 100% dollar-for-dollar what the program gets. These are private companies selling concessions - one doesn't have to look too far in the past to see how a bad deal for the U on beer resulted in a net loss.

I met Teague at the old Dayton's home store (now Macy's) in Edina soon after he was hired. He was wearing an REM t-shirt and my initial thought was cool. I introduced myself as a gopher fan and was glad he was onboard. He really cut the conversation short. I assumed he had an appointment but in retrospect maybe he just didn't give two sh1ts about the average gopher fan.
You encountered the typical North Carolina upper class attitude when dealing with the peons. It's dying out in the bigger cities but readily apparent in smaller towns.

I think you would be surprised where you could sit if you called the ticket office.

It's not in our old seats, those are listed at exorbitant prices on Stubhub, so we can't get those back. Unless my crackpot theory is true. I'm operating under the premise that the U has "bought" its own tickets and is trying to resell them on the secondary market in order to boost season ticket numbers.

No mention of ticket holders bailing out

No mention of feedback that I gave after dropping my tickets after 16 years. 5 tickets!! I am sure they are doing it because they are being nice.

Drink the kool aid.

I gave up my tix after well over a decade, but am happy to hear this news for those that didn't plan to.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not saying your premise is wrong, but you have to understand that the money you spend on concessions are not 100% dollar-for-dollar what the program gets. These are private companies selling concessions - one doesn't have to look too far in the past to see how a bad deal for the U on beer resulted in a net loss.

Only first year.

I was more so trying to imply there are more ways to make money if you just get butts in the seats.

Here is the version you get if you dropped your tickets---

SaintPaulGuy,

Please know how much we appreciate your loyalty and support of our more than 700 student-athletes representing this University and state.

We wanted to update you on the scholarship seating plan at TCF Bank Stadium that was announced in the fall of 2014. Specifically, this plan called for increases to donation levels for the 2015, 2016 and 2017 football seasons to provide scholarships and support for our student-athletes.

We have decided not to implement the planned 2017 increase and we will keep the scholarship seating donations at their current levels. When forecasted in 2014, there was a need to raise scholarship seating donation levels through the 2017 season. Currently, we do not feel we must continue with the final year of planned increases.

With this change, we hope you will reconsider your decision not to renew your football season tickets with Gopher Athletics.

If there are future changes to the scholarship seating program, we will update you. For more information about the scholarship seating program, please visit GoldenGopherFund.com. If you have any questions or would like to renew your season tickets, please call the Gopher Athletics Sales and Service department at (612) 624-8080 (option 1).

Thank you again for your support. We look forward to seeing you at Gopher events this upcoming academic year.

Go Gophers!

Mark Coyle
Director of Athletics
University of Minnesota

per this e-mail from the U:

Thank you for renewing your Gopher Football season tickets. Please know how much we appreciate your loyalty and support of more than 700 Gopher student-athletes representing this University and state.

We wanted to update you on the scholarship seating plan at TCF Bank Stadium that was announced in the fall of 2014. Specifically, this plan called for increases to donation levels for the 2015, 2016 and 2017 football seasons.

We have decided not to implement the planned 2017 increase and we will keep the scholarship seating donations at their current levels. When forecasted in 2014, there was a need to raise scholarship seating donation levels through the 2017 season. Currently, we do not feel we must continue with the final year of planned increases.

If there are future changes to the scholarship seating program, we will update you. For more information about the scholarship seating program, please visit GoldenGopherFund.com. If you have any questions, please call the Gopher Athletics Sales and Service department at (612) 624-8080 (option 1).

Thank you again for your support. We look forward to seeing you at Gopher events this upcoming academic year.

Go Gophers!

Mark Coyle
Director of Athletics
University of Minnesota

Go Gophers!!

Happy, but...:mad: Though my budget was strained to renew I did. I decided to move to one of the no scholarship sections. Had I known that the 2017 increase was going to be cancelled, I would have stayed where I was at. Oh well....

Happy, but...:mad: Though my budget was strained to renew I did. I decided to move to one of the no scholarship sections. Had I known that the 2017 increase was going to be cancelled, I would have stayed where I was at. Oh well....

I'm guessing if you called the ticket office, they would be more than happy to upgrade you to a better zone ... they are quite helpful and accommodating, from my experience!
I could be wrong, but I would be shocked if they said "no" to a request for an upgrade!

This is good, but bittersweet news. I welcome the halt in increases but I'm sad at the number of people we have lost in the last year. The way the University has taken their most loyal fans for granted is bad for business, IMHO.

This is good, but bittersweet news. I welcome the halt in increases but I'm sad at the number of people we have lost in the last year. The way the University has taken their most loyal fans for granted is bad for business, IMHO.

this.

The U lost me as a season ticket holder a few years ago for personal reasons. However, that being said, if I had felt like a valued customer or anything other than a piece of meat in their dealings with me and all other season ticket holders, I might have held onto them. After all, I bought them in the first place because it felt good to do that. After it didn't feel good anymore it was an easy choice to drop them. The U for having such a good esteemed business college in Carlson, sure does a piss poor job of "practicing what they teach" I for one hope that changes big time.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

According to Star Tribune article they are 5,100 non-student season tickets behind last year.

Here is the version you get if you dropped your tickets---

SaintPaulGuy,

Please know how much we appreciate your loyalty and support of our more than 700 student-athletes representing this University and state.

We wanted to update you on the scholarship seating plan at TCF Bank Stadium that was announced in the fall of 2014. Specifically, this plan called for increases to donation levels for the 2015, 2016 and 2017 football seasons to provide scholarships and support for our student-athletes.

With this change, we hope you will reconsider your decision not to renew your football season tickets with Gopher Athletics.

If there are future changes to the scholarship seating program, we will update you. For more information about the scholarship seating program, please visit GoldenGopherFund.com. If you have any questions or would like to renew your season tickets, please call the Gopher Athletics Sales and Service department at (612) 624-8080 (option 1).

Go Gophers!

Mark Coyle
Director of Athletics
University of Minnesota

This is the letter I got. I couldn't make it work financially. I want to get tickets again next year. I already regret not renewing.

The next step for Mark Coyle would be to expand on this decision. Let past season ticket holders know they are valued. Let current season ticket holders know they are valued. There's a lot of ways this can be done.
Next year, I propose an exclusive season ticket holder scrimmage. Play it at TCF. Give a free dilly bar. Give a free shirt. Have ticket representatives available for upgrading questions. Give a tour of the locker room. It wont cost that much but I know that I'd mark it on my calendar.
Every Gopher fan should feel important. A packed stadium is an advantage for our team. If the bottom line is the dollar bill only, we've already found out what happens.

I'm kind of torn about this. On one hand if this helps fill the stadium I think it's worth it. On the other hand I definitely think we Minnesotans struggle with the financial commitment necessary to have top tier sports & entertainment. If we demand and expect a team competitive with Wisconsin, Michigan State and Iowa then we need to support and fund the team competitively.

Yes, winning more games will increase attendance but there are a couple other factors affecting tickets sales right now IMHO:

1. The "new gopher stadium" attraction has worn off.
2. The new Vikings stadium surely forced some people to pull their gopher tickets so they could afford the new seats and seat licenses.

I'm guessing if you called the ticket office, they would be more than happy to upgrade you to a better zone ... they are quite helpful and accommodating, from my experience!
I could be wrong, but I would be shocked if they said "no" to a request for an upgrade!

Thanks for the idea. My guess is my wife will want to stay where we are at knowing there is now a less expensive option. Never hurts to mention the Idea...

Thanks Megatongue. Too bad he caused 8 of us to leave.

This is the letter I got. I couldn't make it work financially. I want to get tickets again next year. I already regret not renewing.

Truth told, if I had known this, I might have renewed. As it is now, I have tickets for six games this season.

Just as I had predicted (and hoped). Now they need to go a step further and go back to 2015 levels. Get the seats filled and build the fanbase. When you start competing for titles on a semi annual basis, then consider additional gouges.

Thanks Megatongue. Too bad he caused 8 of us to leave.

Well, he did everything else right. One minor misstep isn't too bad.

I'm kind of torn about this. On one hand if this helps fill the stadium I think it's worth it. On the other hand I definitely think we Minnesotans struggle with the financial commitment necessary to have top tier sports & entertainment. If we demand and expect a team competitive with Wisconsin, Michigan State and Iowa then we need to support and fund the team competitively.

Yes, winning more games will increase attendance but there are a couple other factors affecting tickets sales right now IMHO:

1. The "new gopher stadium" attraction has worn off.
2. The new Vikings stadium surely forced some people to pull their gopher tickets so they could afford the new seats and seat licenses.

I don't think the seat license thing is hurting this year. Had to make that commitment a couple years ago.

Well, he did everything else right. One minor misstep isn't too bad.

Anyone still have that pic of him grilling hotdogs with the woody? [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

Lots of people not making any sense, as per usual. What does rescinding a 2017 increase have to do with your decision to not renew this year? Why would you move sections this year because they're raising prices next year?

Top Bottom