OFFICIAL What do you think the solution is for Gopher Football? THREAD

stevedave23

Reaction score
We've had a lot of threads focused on complaints and criticisms. What the team is doing wrong, what the coaches are doing wrong, how difficult it is to support the team, the lack of attendance in the student section, lack of enthusiasm overall, etc. This is the nature of a web forum and I'm ok with that. I contribute to the complaints and criticisms myself sometimes.

That being said, I thought it would be interesting to solicit some input about long term solutions for the program.

What needs to happen to take the gopher's program to the next level? By next level I mean consistantly finishing in the top third of the conference and competing for a conference championship every few years.

Is it as simple as a new coach? Some would argue we've switched coaches many times since the 60's and it hasn't helped.

A new athletic director?

Fundemental changes within the University?

Several changes throughout?

What do you think? Any why?

Cheat or get better at it. I don't have a lot of faith in the system and doubt if there's much purity in the Top 20.

Possible solutions:

Shutdown most of the Minny pro teams to focus sports entertainment interest/revenues on the Gs ala Iowa;

Increase the size of TCF Bank to 80K plus to generate more fb revenues ala Wisky;

Increase State spending on high school sports infrastructure to spur Minny fb re Texas, Ohio etc;

Roll-the-dice, take a 5-year shot: spend $3-6 Million a year on high-profile HCing and more on coordinators ala Nick Saban @ Alabama, Charlie W @ Notre Dame;

Hire a new proven recruiter with or without D1 HCing experience at the low end of HCing D1 salaries, hire a completely new staff, build from the ground up yet again after 40 years plus of lower-tier performance and demand that he produce upper-tier BT results in 3 years or expect firing.

Make a lot of posts on the internet. Hopefully passive-aggressive ones.

by big 10 standards

I would say our secondary was slow.

Our linebackers not fast enough.

Our defensive ends invisible.

Our o-line has a severe lack of talent.

Our running backs are pedestrian.

Our wr's are ok but nothing special.

Our qb is average at the very best.

HOW ABOUT THE OBVIOUS ANSWER..........GET BETTER PLAYERS

Like it or not, the solution is NOT to fire Brewster. He needs one more year and more of his players on the field. Whether or not Brewster is the long term solution to Gopher football blahs remains the ?.

Take a deep breath.

players win games

We need better players and we are on our way there. Brewster and Fisch are used to working with talent in the NFL, The University of Florida, and Texas. They came to Minnesota and had crap for talent. It will get better under Brewster, is he the long term solution? I don't know, but I do know our talent is getting better than it has ever been here in the history of the program. You don't think Brewster and Fisch look at the play of Weber during games and think to themselves "you've got to be sh-ting me" They will get better when the players get better

Stability at the coordinator positions. Stop the revolving door at the people developing the schemes the players should be spending 4 years to learn.

I would say our secondary was slow.
From a historical context our secondary was much better than it has been. A flat out improvement under Brewster.

Our linebackers not fast enough.
Decent speed this year, Lawrence has excellant speed, Triplett had more than adequate speed. Should be a strength next year also; Cooper, Sharpe, and Tinsley could be good next year.

Our defensive ends invisible.
Compared to what, historical Gopher defensive ends. I thought they did a good job, hopefully there will not be a dropoff next year. Good talent backing up though.

Our o-line has a severe lack of talent.
No argument on this.

Our running backs are pedestrian.
So far no argument, hopefully there will be development. They are young.

Our wr's are ok but nothing special.
Young, should develop into outstanding recievers, McKnight and Green could be good.

Our qb is average at the very best.
Enough has been said.

HOW ABOUT THE OBVIOUS ANSWER..........GET BETTER PLAYERS[/QUOTE]

I think running back and o-line are the pieces that are missing. There won't be a quick or easy answer to either.

..." but I do know our talent is getting better than it has ever been here in the history of the program."

I assume you meant in the last 40 years. We do have some national championships in the past.

They've got a real problem at the OC position. I know we have deficiencies on the offense, but there isn't one part of our lineup that isn't significantly better than last year and we've regressed significantly. There is only one common factor.

Unfortunately, unless there is an unexpected great OC in the pro style mode out there Fisch is our guy. Hopefully he grows into his job quickly and the players grow into the system over the next nine months.

Get a real football coach. Hope that he can recruit well enough to give you a shot at the Conference Title once every 4 years as each recruiting cycle peaks and can be in the upper half of the conference the rest of the time. Hope that this time, that coach can win the big games when he reaches them. And don't fire him if he succeeds achieving this level of success because you think you deserve to be like OSU or PSU and contend every year.

Top Bottom