Official Release from the U: Minnesota To Play In Meineke Car Care Bowl of Texas

GopherHole Staff

GopherHole Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
Minnesota To Play In Meineke Car Care Bowl of Texas

http://www.gopherhole.com/news_article/show/198582?referrer_id=331171

The University of Minnesota has accepted an invitation to play in the 2012 Meineke Car Care Bowl of Texas on Dec. 28 at Reliant Stadium in Houston. The game is scheduled for an 8 p.m. (CST) kickoff and will be televised nationally by ESPN. Minnesota’s opponent will be announced later tonight.

“We look forward to playing in the Meineke Car Care Bowl of Texas and will work hard to make the Big Ten Conference and Gophers fans proud,” said Minnesota director of athletics Norwood Teague. “It is an honor to accept this invitation, and we look forward to working with Meineke Car Care Bowl of Texas Executive Director Heather Houston and all the staff and volunteers to make this one of the most enjoyable and successful bowl games of the holiday season.

“Our student-athletes and coaching staff have worked hard this year to reach this important milestone, which would have been impossible without the continued support of Gophers fans. So we hope Gopher fans will join us in Houston to cheer on our team. We are working on attractive travel packages with Creative Charters for our fans and look forward to having a strong contingent of Maroon and Gold in the stands.”

Minnesota's invitation to play in the 2012 Meineke Car Care Bowl of Texas marks the Golden Gophers' 15th overall postseason bowl appearance, but the first since 2009.

Fans wishing to cheer on the Gophers in Houston are encouraged to visit Minnesota’s Bowl Central page on MyGopherSports.com for ticket information. Tickets are available for purchase online now. Fans can also buy tickets from 9 a.m. - 5 p.m., Monday through Friday, at the Athletics Ticket Office in Mariucci Arena or over the phone by calling 612-624-8080 or 1-800-846-7437.

Travel packages to the Meineke Car Care Bowl of Texas will be available on MyGopherSports.com on Monday.

In just his second year leading the Gophers, coach Jerry Kill has orchestrated an impressive turnaround to get Minnesota bowl eligible. Prior to the season, the Gophers were universally picked to finish outside of the bowl projections. Despite not having any first team All-Big Ten selections, Minnesota won six games and overcame adversity on and off the field under Kill’s leadership.

“We are thrilled to be heading to Houston to play in the Meineke Care Car Bowl of Texas,” said Kill. “This is a wonderful opportunity for our team to get better and a great accomplishment for our senior class. We have 13 players from Texas and I know they will be excited to play in their home state. Our opponent will be announced later tonight, but I know we will play a great team and will have our hands full. However, I know our team will be ready to play and will do their best to represent both the university and state of Minnesota.

“Houston is a great destination and offers a lot of entertainment options for our fans. Those who make the trip will have a great time at the bowl game and around the city.”

Senior linebacker Keanon Cooper is from Dallas and is excited to finish his collegiate career in Texas.

“It is a surreal feeling that I will end my Minnesota career in my home state,” said Cooper. “I am thrilled to be going to Houston for my third and final bowl game. I am also excited that my teammates will be able to experience the great hospitality of my home state and the rich football tradition of Texas.”

Senior wide receiver MarQueis Gray, who is one of only seven Gophers who played in the 2009 bowl game, echoed Cooper’s sentiments.

“Our goal all year was to qualify for a bowl game,” said Gray. “I am happy for our senior class, the rest of the team and our coaching staff. We have worked hard all season to be able to reach the postseason, and it is a good feeling to know we accomplished one of our goals. However, we are not satisfied. We will continue to work hard and will do our best to try and win this bowl game for Minnesota.”

-Gopher Football-

40,000 tix sold already crazy!!!

Oh I see, that includes team allotments. So hopefully both schools sell their allotment and give the team a good atmosphere to play in front of!

Only if we can both be there in person, Fuzzy. If that happens, I sincerely look forward to meeting you in person. Doc

Rumor has it that Texas Tech is the other opponent. About an 8 and a half hour drive. How do their fans travel? Might help sell the remaining tickets.

Rumor has it that Texas Tech is the other opponent. About an 8 and a half hour drive. How do their fans travel? Might help sell the remaining tickets.

Fuzzy, a word from the old man here...be careful of rumors.

These guys clearly did their homework! I take it they made it to one game this year?

What the hell are they supposed to say? "Minnesota has a horse$hit offense that would have trouble scoring against some chocolate donut intramural flag football team."

Many of the 40,000 tickets sold are also Texans season ticket holders who won't be at the game.

What the hell are they supposed to say? "Minnesota has a horse$hit offense that would have trouble scoring against some chocolate donut intramural flag football team."

Well, that would have been more accurate, lol. Seriously though, I think a focus on defense would've made more sense. Anyway, I'm excited about the game. Regardless of opponent, you want to be going to the best possible bowl game every year. Can't wait! A extra Gopher game is like Christmas for me!

As I stated on another thread, I think it would be awesome for Glen Mason and Mike Leach to be the broadcast team for this game.

No shortage of "The team sucks," "Six win teams don't deserve bowls," "I expected better than this," "Meaningless game," "Only here because of cupcake schedule," comments on the announcements of our bowl appearance on the Gopher Facebook pages.

No shortage of "The team sucks," "Six win teams don't deserve bowls," "I expected better than this," "Meaningless game," "Only here because of cupcake schedule," comments on the announcements of our bowl appearance on the Gopher Facebook pages.

Consider the sources. Don't let it bother you. Being able to be anonymous allows for a growth of bravery.

I can't stand the 1500 or the gopher fan page on Facebook. It's full of morons. It's my daily dose of frustration.

Consider the sources. Don't let it bother you. Being able to be anonymous allows for a growth of bravery.

Actually, they aren't even anonymous. I guess mostly I'm just not sure where some of those people get such lofty expectations from. We haven't been very good for the past 50 years, and yet they seem to think that getting less than 8 wins is a bad season or something. If you really expected anything more than 7 wins this season, you were probably expecting too much, even 7 is pushing it a bit. This season should not fall vastly short of anyone's pre-season expectations. Be happy for what the team has accomplished, don't knock them because six wins in Kill's second year falls short of the greatness that you've apparently come to expect from Gopher football.

Top Bottom