***OFFICIAL PURDUE AT MINNESOTA AFTERNOON IN-GAME THREAD!!!***

But - do "all coaches" just let the guard go 1-on-1, or do they try to set him up by running something - pick-& roll, set some screens, run some motion - do something other than 4 guys stand and watch while 1 guy tries to create his own shot with no help from any teammates?

It's the difference between having a plan, and crossing your fingers.

yes - Carr has talent. He is capable of making things happen. But, I think the odds of it being successful would be greatly increased if the final shot was set up off a play as opposed to hoping Carr can do it all by himself.

Carr is not Jimmie Chitwood. he is not going to hit that shot every time. Just once, would be nice to see them run Merle off the picket fence. the way Gabe was shooting, I would have been fine with a play set up to spring Gabe for an open-look "3."
I mean its worked 3 times out of 4 times in our close games this year. For all we know there was a play involved and Purdue defended it leaving Carr out on his own. Doubtful that's the case but 3/4 shows its kind of working even if its frustrating.

A couple of thoughts about the Purdue game:

1. Remember when Pitino was hired and he talked about pressing and running at every opportunity as the style he wanted to play. He quickly realized that you need to have the horses to play that style. That being said watching the Purdue game it was concerning how methodical the Gophers were. They walked the ball up the court about 75% of the time. There was very little transition to their game. Now I realize Purdue can do that to teams, but with one of the top point guards in the country can we establish a little more pace to the game? And try to get out and run and find a few more easy baskets especially the way we shoot in the half court.

2. The real hero of the game was Gabe with some clutch 3 pointers late that kept us in striking distance and Brandon Johnson's effort throughout. Carr's 3 was a lucky hero shot. I will take that luck, but be careful with the accolades (see Tribune headlines).

3. Lastly we went from supposedly the deepest team in Pitino's era to a 6 players we can count on rotation. We are getting very little from Gach and Ihnen two players that were being heavily counted on to help this team. I don't know the reasoning: over estimation of talent, short leash by Pitino so they can't play through mistakes, limited player development, poor me syndrome, but whatever the reasons it hurts this team.

But - do "all coaches" just let the guard go 1-on-1, or do they try to set him up by running something - pick-& roll, set some screens, run some motion - do something other than 4 guys stand and watch while 1 guy tries to create his own shot with no help from any teammates?

yes - Carr has talent. He is capable of making things happen. But, I think the odds of it being successful would be greatly increased if the final shot was set up off a play as opposed to hoping Carr can do it all by himself.

Carr is not Jimmie Chitwood. he is not going to hit that shot every time. Just once, would be nice to see them run Merle off the picket fence. the way Gabe was shooting, I would have been fine with a play set up to spring Gabe for an open-look "3."

Having a plan and crossing your fingers are not mutually exclusive. What you have brought up suggests a great CBS Sports anonymous coach survey, when they ask coaches direct questions they don't want to go on the record for. It can be phrased like this, "In end of game situations, going for the tie or lead, 1) Do you have a set play? 2) How often are those plays executed as designed? 3) If the end of game situation was successful but not as planned, would you/have you admitted it publicly?

My guess is the majority of end of game situations end up being broken or stopped plays, whether they succeed or not, resulting in some ad lib reaction. Which goes back to the beginning. Get the ball in the hands of the guy most likely to be able to score off his own creation. For us, Marcus Carr.

A couple of thoughts about the Purdue game:

1. Remember when Pitino was hired and he talked about pressing and running at every opportunity as the style he wanted to play. He quickly realized that you need to have the horses to play that style. That being said watching the Purdue game it was concerning how methodical the Gophers were. They walked the ball up the court about 75% of the time. There was very little transition to their game. Now I realize Purdue can do that to teams, but with one of the top point guards in the country can we establish a little more pace to the game? And try to get out and run and find a few more easy baskets especially the way we shoot in the half court.

2. The real hero of the game was Gabe with some clutch 3 pointers late that kept us in striking distance and Brandon Johnson's effort throughout. Carr's 3 was a lucky hero shot. I will take that luck, but be careful with the accolades (see Tribune headlines).

3. Lastly we went from supposedly the deepest team in Pitino's era to a 6 players we can count on rotation. We are getting very little from Gach and Ihnen two players that were being heavily counted on to help this team. I don't know the reasoning: over estimation of talent, short leash by Pitino so they can't play through mistakes, limited player development, poor me syndrome, but whatever the reasons it hurts this team.

1. Nobody runs and presses constantly in the B1G. The talent and athleticism are too great to just out athlete teams with any regularity. We can't run because we rebound poorly. Running begins with great rebounding, historically like Michigan State has done.

3. This, I don't get. I think players like Gach and Ihnen (and even Freeman) should get more playing time. Richard definitely takes a "play 8, trust 7" NBA approach which I don't get. I know in past seasons, he has done a nice job of assigning PT based on match-ups. I haven't seen that at all this year. It has the image of desperation and/or lack of confidence in his players, neither of which is good.

1. Nobody runs and presses constantly in the B1G. The talent and athleticism are too great to just out athlete teams with any regularity. We can't run because we rebound poorly. Running begins with great rebounding, historically like Michigan State has done.

3. This, I don't get. I think players like Gach and Ihnen (and even Freeman) should get more playing time. Richard definitely takes a "play 8, trust 7" NBA approach which I don't get. I know in past seasons, he has done a nice job of assigning PT based on match-ups. I haven't seen that at all this year. It has the image of desperation and/or lack of confidence in his players, neither of which is good.
Freeman is definitely a guy that should play more. I think he could have given Purdue's big guys a little more resistance on defense for example. I like Freeman. Gach has played terrible basketball and with very little passion. I can't believe how soft he is on both ends. Ihnen, even softer and Ihnen has made 2 of his last 27 3 point shots and shows no interest in driving to the basket. I love the potential of both Gach and Ihnen but these two have definitely earned the splinters they are getting from the bench right now.

My guess is there was a play called but Carr's defender gave him a ton of room in a spot where he was comfortable so carr took what the defense gave him knowing he is the best option on the floor. Betting Pitino gave him the green light to do so prior also. Worked out just fine.

Freeman is definitely a guy that should play more. I think he could have given Purdue's big guys a little more resistance on defense for example. I like Freeman. Gach has played terrible basketball and with very little passion. I can't believe how soft he is on both ends. Ihnen, even softer and Ihnen has made 2 of his last 27 3 point shots and shows no interest in driving to the basket. I love the potential of both Gach and Ihnen but these two have definitely earned the splinters they are getting from the bench right now.
Correct on Gach and Ihnen. Both have deserved less playing time for many reasons. I wouldn't count on either of them for quality minutes next season and hope there is a plan for that possibility.

Getting the ball to your most versatile and capable scorer is not hero ball. It's what is done at every level of basketball. Some may have an image of a perfect set play scoring a winning basket, but even the set plays are intended to get the ball to player most likely to score. A team's best players should have the ball in crunch time. Sometimes it won't work, but you give your team the best chance.

If there is something that drives me crazy in these scenarios is that too often they wait too long to make the move, preventing a chance at a put back.

This is true. However, it should come on a ball reversal. Get the defense moving. This is coaching 101. Spreading it out and having someone go 1 on 1 is extremely easy to defend. Especially against a team that shoots it as poorly as we do.

Pass ball, run through a pick, get it on the other side after a reversal, then attack. I am a damn moron hick that didn't play ball at a higher level than high school and even I know this.

Unfortunately, there are always 5 guys in different shirts doing their best to stop whatever offensive system is put in place.

If just looking at big ten standings through 8 seasons then u are correct. Again, to me 3 out of 5 and 4 out of 5 are determinative. I also was extremely impressed how pitino brought along the 2016-17 and 18-19 teams. Doubt if painter could have got that much out of those teams.

Haha. Painter might be the best coach in the Big Ten. 15 years in the conference, 2 titles, 4 sweet sixteens, 1 elite 8, over .600 record in the conference and .650 total.

Comparing Painter to Pitino is really a laugher.

Wouldve no doubt also got tourney wins in 2016-17 if hadnt lost springs and mason on one leg. How many tourney wins do you think the 17-18 team would have gotten.

. How do you project a team that finished 11th in the conference would have had tourney wins?

PS Other teams deal with injuries as well. And if losing a 3rd rate guard like Akeem Springs makes a breaks your season, that should tell you something right there.

Absolutely on the bench. It has always been his biggest failing, IMO. He does not know how to use guys and develop roles. It happens every year. Bench gets shorter and shorter and guys are counted on for more and more. Then when a guy is off or there is an injury, there is never any response. No one is ready. Hence, the completely awful records a couple years. The fact that Freeman never plays this year and that Mitchell doesn't even get a minute in some of these blowouts where every single thing goes haywire is an absolute indictment on the coaching. If not, then it is an indictment on the recruiting. One or the other. Either way, it's not a good look and leads to too many complete disasters of games and seasons.

Not one single person has said RP is "doing great things". Quit playing, man.
Correct.

Some of us want MN coach to do great things with the program. Why aren't you saying RP is doing great things? You vehement protection of anything suggesting poor coaching is met with venom. Surely, after 8 years, you can point out a few items of Great?

Can I suggest some real-life human interaction for you? I think it might do you some major good.

Your proclivity (let me know if you need a definition, as I can tell you're the kind of human who speaks or writes in one-sentence brain farts) for latching onto specific posters on this board is quite disturbing. Jennifer Jason Leigh in "Single White Female" much?

Either way, there are plenty of other people feeling lonely and lost during these challenging times. If you're looking for friends, just private message somebody and ask "Do you want to be my friend?" instead of following them around and hurling weak insults on a message board like a kindergarten boy.
YOU are doing it, writer boy. Well done!!!! :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

I agree they have earned the bench. The question is why?

Ihnen has a ton of untapped potential. Tall, long arms, rebounds well for his minutes. I question what the coaches are doing to develop the kid.

Freeman is more a banger, and MN needs this type of player desperately! MN teams during the past 2 decades appear soft. Freeman is anything but soft. Seems quick on his feet and capable. Again, what is the development after 2 years?

How miserable does your life have to be to come on here and whine after beating a ranked team at home (for the fifth time this year). Couldn't be me. Good win, let's go get a couple on the road now!
I will cheer loudly when/if we get some road wins. That, however, will not magically make Richard Pitino a good X&O coach. Since he isn't wired that way, he should at least get an assistant that can diagram a play in crunch time.

Regarding the bench, Ihnen has regressed terribly and Gach has just been bad. I don't know why Freeman and even Mitchell can't get some run. I could easily see Mitchell being this year's version of Ihnen, someone who provides some bench punch late in the season.

Since he isn't wired that way, he should at least get an assistant that can diagram a play in crunch time.
Surely Conroy or someone can. But I feel that aspect has gone downhill ever since McHale left. I was hoping they would bring him back after he got fired by EKU.

Yeah, no shit. I called it live before they even blew the whistle. It was obvious.
Yet, no shuffling of the feet or giving up his pivot foot, so explain how it was traveling.
The shot was cleanly blocked, however.

Fair take. I guess when I look at this year, while we have struggled on the road, we have at least 5 very very quality wins. We have only lost to one team at home (Maryland) that we should have beaten (although the Terps have at least 3 Top 10 wins, so they're not horrible).

As far as the road games we have lost, which game was the one where you would say "there's no way we should have lost that"?

@ Illinois - ranked #6
@ Wisconsin - very good team
@ Michigan - ranked #3
@ Iowa - top 10 most of the year
@ Purdue - also ranked
@ Rutgers - ranked team

Its not like we lost on the road to Big Ten bottom feeders. They're literally all tournament teams. Sure, not closing the Rutgers game was frustrating. Purdue getting hot in the 2nd half sucked. We got run out pretty quick in the others. But at the end of the day, they're all still losses to good teams.

If we lose our remaining 3 road games, I'll be surprised. But I think lots of people are letting the road losses from an extremely tough slate overshadow the overall season. Both announcers today noted how tough the schedule has been. Its funny how different the perception on this board is...but that's all because there are so many people that just won't give Pitino ANY credit.
Pitino does deserve some credit and overall I like him better than I liked Tubby's teams. Feels like we have more upside.

But it also feels like time where we can bring somebody in that can bring more consistency and sustain success year to year. Make that next step. Pitino is a bit of a wild ride year to year. The floor is too low.

I like to think we can consistently be at or above 500 in the Big 10, and make NCAA 4 out 5 years. I don't think Pitino brings that. I understand it's not that easy to find and hire that guy, but it is possible if you find the right guy. Faith in Coyle.

Yet, no shuffling of the feet or giving up his pivot foot, so explain how it was traveling.
The shot was cleanly blocked, however.
He jumped and landed with the ball. It was a travel. I'm just surprised they called it.

He traveled when he spun. People missed that. He caught the ball his left foot was his pivot foot. Took a step with his right to gather then stepped first with his left foot when he spun travel.....

He traveled when he spun. People missed that. He caught the ball his left foot was his pivot foot. Took a step with his right to gather then stepped first with his left foot when he spun travel.....
Then he traveled twice.

yet, that's not what happened. Once he established his pivot foot, he maintained that pivot foot.
Shot was blocked anyway.

yet, that's not what happened. Once he established his pivot foot, he maintained that pivot foot.
Shot was blocked anyway.
He hopped then jump stopped on two feet. At that point, you must either go up off two feet or one foot and release the ball. You can’t pivot or step and he did. Travel.

I agree they have earned the bench. The question is why?

Ihnen has a ton of untapped potential. Tall, long arms, rebounds well for his minutes. I question what the coaches are doing to develop the kid.

Freeman is more a banger, and MN needs this type of player desperately! MN teams during the past 2 decades appear soft. Freeman is anything but soft. Seems quick on his feet and capable. Again, what is the development after 2 years?
I question the development of Ihnen as well. As I have said before, he reminds me of a frosh Willie Burton. But Clem made Burton earn his time going to the hoop inside before he was allowed to shoot threes. If Ihnen were told to drive an post up and they worked that relentlessly in practice, I think he could do it.

Agree also on Freeman.

Absolutely on the bench. It has always been his biggest failing, IMO. He does not know how to use guys and develop roles. It happens every year. Bench gets shorter and shorter and guys are counted on for more and more. Then when a guy is off or there is an injury, there is never any response. No one is ready. Hence, the completely awful records a couple years. The fact that Freeman never plays this year and that Mitchell doesn't even get a minute in some of these blowouts where every single thing goes haywire is an absolute indictment on the coaching. If not, then it is an indictment on the recruiting. One or the other. Either way, it's not a good look and leads to too many complete disasters of games and seasons.
Pitino has played like he is afraid to lose since year 2. Thus, he gets scared to use the bench much.

Pitino does deserve some credit and overall I like him better than I liked Tubby's teams. Feels like we have more upside.

But it also feels like time where we can bring somebody in that can bring more consistency and sustain success year to year. Make that next step. Pitino is a bit of a wild ride year to year. The floor is too low.

I like to think we can consistently be at or above 500 in the Big 10, and make NCAA 4 out 5 years. I don't think Pitino brings that. I understand it's not that easy to find and hire that guy, but it is possible if you find the right guy. Faith in Coyle.

I'd be fine with a change if we make a good choice (pretty confident in Coyle to do that). I'm just not going to worry about it until the season is over. No point in letting something so out of our control ruin watching current games (which based on many posters' negativity during games - even after good wins, lol - it definitely is ruining them like the Q virus). I mean, some of these people can cheer until they're blue in the face for us to lose out from here, but given this current COVID environment, there is hardly any guarantee that Coyle would make a move.

Given that, I'll just stay in the present and enjoy some basketball.

Top Bottom