***OFFICIAL PENN STATE AT MINNESOTA IN-GAME THREAD!!!***

Or, maybe some of our losses have been real beatdowns that exposed some severe weaknesses of our team (the one we were led into being hopeful about), so there was much to post about. As opposed to some of our wins where there wasn’t as much to say after “wow, we had a guy who had a career shooting night” or “can you believe that opponent failed to even try to expose our weaknesses”?
It's a combo of both. But yeah, there will always be more to discuss after a loss.

Or, maybe some of our losses have been real beatdowns that exposed some severe weaknesses of our team (the one we were led into being hopeful about), so there was much to post about. As opposed to some of our wins where there wasn’t as much to say after “wow, we had a guy who had a career shooting night” or “can you believe that opponent failed to even try to expose our weaknesses”?
Who was led into being hopeful? Are you generally led around in your thinking?

Any Gopher fan could look at a roster filled with mid and low major players and know wins would be tough and near impossible in conference play.

For most fans the team has already surpassed all reasonable expectations both in number of wins and the way they have played.

Post Game Quotes of Note:

Johnson:
Eric’s not even close to 100%, so we kind of had a kumbaya the other day and just wanted to get all the negative, bad vibes out. Get it out in the open, get it out in the room and let the positive energy in. We talked about it, we still have guys that are hurt and banged up, and we talked about that mamba mentality where, now you got to find a way to block that out. We all know that guys are going through stuff, especially Eric [Curry], if it’s 50% that you can give the 50. But if you’re hurt and you’re trying to give that 50, it turns to 20 because your mind is somewhere else. You’ve got to be able to block that out, so if 50 is all that you can give, it’s a strong 50, and I thought he did that.

Curry:
As people know I’ve been battling an ankle injury these past couple games, since I’ve been coming back, and it hasn’t been feeling right until today. I had a lot of confidence in it in the shootaround. These guys, and this whole staff, been telling me that they still believe in me, they’ve been motivating me this whole time, telling me to keep shooting and to be aggressive, so I just credit all those guys for the motivation they’ve instilled in me”

“We had a big talk about that after the game – the last game we had – and he said basically, I know we’re going through a lot of things, Jamo’s still going through his sickness-thing that he had, I’m going through my injury, but we’ve just got to put our head down and keep working. We can’t make excuses for ourselves and this game showed that.”
"We cant make excuses". He giving you free advice.

Exposed our weaknesses this year? Which ones did you not know about before the start of the season? Depth, Rebounding, lack of a true #1 scorer? I don't think anything has been exposed if you had any knowledge of basketball. You could see the writing on the wall for this year and I think we should be relatively excited that we have seemingly overachieved this year. If the issues continue to persist next season, I think you have some valid worries.

Exposed our weaknesses this year? Which ones did you not know about before the start of the season? Depth, Rebounding, lack of a true #1 scorer? I don't think anything has been exposed if you had any knowledge of basketball. You could see the writing on the wall for this year and I think we should be relatively excited that we have seemingly overachieved this year. If the issues continue to persist next season, I think you have some valid worries
My response was to the post that game threads were always longer after losses because, you know, those other bad fans are just negative and stuff. I’m not unrealistic about this team nor do I fail to see some hopeful signs. But there are plenty of posters who get caught up in the moment of an unexpected win over Michigan (or Rutgers) and start threads about how many wins are now needed to make the tournament and how beatable are the opponents in the back half of our schedule. Or do you just miss or overlook those? There are also plenty of ninnies on here that find their sole source of enjoyment to be trying to read hidden insults into every post and blast back with the vigor of a night school lawyer with an inferiority complex. Don’t be one of those guys that devolves every thread into a “you said/no I never said” pissing contest. I stand by what I said: sometimes the threads are longer after a loss because this team isn’t very good and that’s what we have to discuss. That is all.

I don't know what your definition of a 'beat down' is but this squad has only lost one game by 20+... a 23 point loss at Williams to Illinois.

It's amazing how one's perspective can be swayed by the negative posters on this board. I had to look to see if there were any other "beat downs." Of their 9 other losses, here are the results:

15- Home L to Purdue
13- Away L to Indiana
13- Away L to Nebraska
12- Away L to Iowa
11- Home L to Ohio St
10- Home L to Iowa
8- Home L to Michigan St
6- Away L to Wisconsin
2- Away L to Michigan St

I would argue that there were certainly some games where the outcome wasn't in doubt after the first 10 minutes but I wouldn't call that a beat down.

The '20-'21 team that had numerous top ten wins lost by 31, 27, 25, 19, 19, 15, 14
The '19-'20 squad lost by 20, 18, 16
The '18-'19 team lost 27, 24, 20, 15 in conference, 27 in Big 10 Tournament, and 20 in NCAA
The '17-'18 squad lost 34, 30, 24, 24, 23, 18, 16, 14

Late to the party, but great bounce-back game! Go Gophers!

The hope continues to be that they can catch a second wind both physically and mentally and finish strong. No easy games on the schedule ever, so each one is going to be a battle, but everyone knew that going in.

It's useful to keep in mind that Battle was ill, and he's probably still not back to 100%. Curry isn't 100% and probably won't be the rest of the way. This team's recent struggles are more than fatigue. Not making excuses, just factual observations.

My response was to the post that game threads were always longer after losses because, you know, those other bad fans are just negative and stuff. I’m not unrealistic about this team nor do I fail to see some hopeful signs. But there are plenty of posters who get caught up in the moment of an unexpected win over Michigan (or Rutgers) and start threads about how many wins are now needed to make the tournament and how beatable are the opponents in the back half of our schedule. Or do you just miss or overlook those? There are also plenty of ninnies on here that find their sole source of enjoyment to be trying to read hidden insults into every post and blast back with the vigor of a night school lawyer with an inferiority complex. Don’t be one of those guys that devolves every thread into a “you said/no I never said” pissing contest. I stand by what I said: sometimes the threads are longer after a loss because this team isn’t very good and that’s what we have to discuss. That is all.
It's all about perspective... some get too high, some get too low. People are all different in how they approach life. I tend to chirp when I see lies... especially among those who have a history of lying and deceit. This is NOT directed at you, goldenboy.

I do know that negative posters have a sneaky habit of bringing everyone down around them. Positive posters hate that. It's especially bad when these negative posters seem to do it out of enjoyment.

Positive people, unfortunately, do not seem to help negative people shake the persistent rain clouds that dance over their heads. Those who are negative are seemingly always negative.

Late to the party, but great bounce-back game! Go Gophers!

The hope continues to be that they can catch a second wind both physically and mentally and finish strong. No easy games on the schedule ever, so each one is going to be a battle, but everyone knew that going in.

It's useful to keep in mind that Battle was ill, and he's probably still not back to 100%. Curry isn't 100% and probably won't be the rest of the way. This team's recent struggles are more than fatigue. Not making excuses, just factual observations.
You can tell just by looking at Battle that he is not feeling 100% health wise yet and that has been reflected in his play.

Hopefully he can shake it soon because this team really needs him out there leading the way and giving them another scoring threat to go with Willis. Curry did a heck of job against PSU but obviously not something that the team can count on night in and night out.

Well, for one thing, they took care of the freakin' ball against Penn State.
Seemed like the Cornhuskers must have been dressed in some camouflaged uniforms the way the Gophers took care of it from the start in that one. Still upset at that game. Was counting on a W.

Keep the turnovers to a minuscule amount, shoot lights out and they have a chance. Oh yeah, don't get injured either. Keep the opposition from second chances. Also, maybe a little good fortune.
(Did I cover everything?)

Well, for one thing, they took care of the freakin' ball against Penn State.
Seemed like the Cornhuskers must have been dressed in some camouflaged uniforms the way the Gophers took care of it from the start in that one. Still upset at that game. Was counting on a W.

Keep the turnovers to a minuscule amount, shoot lights out and they have a chance. Oh yeah, don't get injured either. Keep the opposition from second chances. Also, maybe a little good fortune.
(Did I cover everything?)
Second paragraph sums it up. When this team plays well they have a shot against pretty much anyone, but if anything is off it can get ugly quick because they have little to no wiggle room to recover if some part of their game isn't clicking on a given night (poor shooting, turnovers...)

I don't know what your definition of a 'beat down' is but this squad has only lost one game by 20+... a 23 point loss at Williams to Illinois.

It's amazing how one's perspective can be swayed by the negative posters on this board. I had to look to see if there were any other "beat downs." Of their 9 other losses, here are the results:

15- Home L to Purdue
13- Away L to Indiana
13- Away L to Nebraska
12- Away L to Iowa
11- Home L to Ohio St
10- Home L to Iowa
8- Home L to Michigan St
6- Away L to Wisconsin
2- Away L to Michigan St

I would argue that there were certainly some games where the outcome wasn't in doubt after the first 10 minutes but I wouldn't call that a beat down.

The '20-'21 team that had numerous top ten wins lost by 31, 27, 25, 19, 19, 15, 14
The '19-'20 squad lost by 20, 18, 16
The '18-'19 team lost 27, 24, 20, 15 in conference, 27 in Big 10 Tournament, and 20 in NCAA
The '17-'18 squad lost 34, 30, 24, 24, 23, 18, 16, 14
I would. Being competitive isn't just keeping the game close, it's giving yourself a chance to win.

Your overall point is well-taken. This team has competed, worked hard, kept most games close (Nebraska the one really discouraging exception), and is more organized than any in the previous administration. It says a lot about both coaches and character of the players. Many questions but a foundation of something to look forward to has been established.

You can tell just by looking at Battle that he is not feeling 100% health wise yet and that has been reflected in his play.

Hopefully he can shake it soon because this team really needs him out there leading the way and giving them another scoring threat to go with Willis. Curry did a heck of job against PSU but obviously not something that the team can count on night in and night out.
Time for that magic elixir IV they gave Loewe........

Do we know what he had? I believe all they said was "non-covid" illness.

I think the Nebraska game may ultimately demonstrate that Nebraska has more talent than its record indicates.

So, a team that has played below the level of its talent all season picked the Gopher game to play at - or above - its talent level.

That could be bad luck for the Gophers, or it could have something to do with matchups and schemes.

But, I maintain that, in terms of raw talent, Nebraska has more talent than several other teams in the B1G. Which, in turn, means that Nebraska is by far the most disappointing team in the conference.

If you measure teams by how much they got out of the talent, the Gophers are way ahead of Nebraska.

it just happened that, for one night, the underachievers beat the overachievers.

I wasn't pushing or disagreeing with your premise on the loss threads being longer. I also am aware that you were responding to that. I was just curious about what weaknesses were being exposed. Maybe thinking you saw some things differently than I or many others. It was more a question of respect compared to the negative trolls that are on here only when things go bad. Wasn't looking for a pissing contest or to do the "gotcha" thing.

Top Bottom