***OFFICIAL OHIO STATE AT MINNESOTA IN-BATTLE THREAD!!!***

Who's digging deeper? That's what you and the other 'BJ is already a proven good coach' crowd is doing. You're the ones constantly running victory laps using 'incomplete data'.

As I've said several times now, Ben has earned another year. He was coaching for his job this year, and he'll be coaching for it again next year. If they miss the NCAA tournament this year (99% chance this happens) and next year, he will be fired. If he makes it, he will keep his job and I won't have any problem with that.

Why can't you and the others admit or understand that?

I responded in a congenial manner and even gave you a compliment.

The season isn’t over, is it????

Crazy things happen all the time, including in conference tournaments, as when Syracuse and UConn inexplicably won their conferences, despite not being high seeds those years.

You play until the clock strikes zero and the season is over, how is that not comprehensible for anyone who has ever competed at anything, sports or other activities.

I’m done having a dialogue with you;,if you respond, I won’t answer. I’m going to enjoy my Saturday and not waste my time having circular arguments with someone who won’t answer questions posed to him because he doesn’t like them or can’t answer them.

Have a great day, unless you’ve made other plans😃

Who's digging deeper? That's what you and the other 'BJ is already a proven good coach' crowd is doing. You're the ones constantly running victory laps using 'incomplete data'.

As I've said several times now, Ben has earned another year
. He was coaching for his job this year, and he'll be coaching for it again next year. If they miss the NCAA tournament this year (99% chance this happens) and next year, he will be fired. If he makes it, he will keep his job and I won't have any problem with that.

Why can't you and the others admit or understand that?
Wouldn't this be an example of BJ proving something? :)

Yes he did. They also snuck into the tournament as an11 seed and beat Kansas State, and after an upset of sienna over I think it was Stanford. We got lucky to beat sienna and make it to the sweet 16. Then the following season they bring everyone back and make a deep run in the tournament. Kind of reminds me of the direction this team is going. Finish strong and hope for a little luck

GO GOPHERS

We lost to Duke that year in the Sweet 16

Yes I do. And I don't disagree with much of what you wrote. They can compete with anyone. But they can also lose to anyone. They have yet to beat anyone better than a bubble team this year. It was still only 2 weeks ago they gave up a 20 point lead and lost to another mediocre Iowa team.

This is exactly what we saw under Pitino. A competitive team with some talent, but averaged out to be mediocre over the entire season. Except Pitino's teams would beat teams that are ranked/better than anyone this years team has beaten so far.
You think NW is a bubble team?
Also compared to the last guy this team is getting better as the year has gone on, something Pitino teams struggled with. They also play great team ball, compared to Pitino's hero ball.

Something that I noticed that not alot of people are talking about is that Payne shot 5-7 on free throws this game. His stroke has always looked smooth. Just a matter of routine and confidence. If he can have more nights like this or close to it, teams will be less willing to send him to the line. Not to mention, more closing minutes

Yes he did. They also snuck into the tournament as an11 seed and beat Kansas State, and after an upset of sienna over I think it was Stanford. We got lucky to beat sienna and make it to the sweet 16. Then the following season they bring everyone back and make a deep run in the tournament. Kind of reminds me of the direction this team is going. Finish strong and hope for a little luck

GO GOPHERS
Snuck?

No sneaking. They got it.

This may make a discussion on recruiting moot, at best. From a ruling by a Tennessee judge on paying basically high school recruits:

'There's no question the NCAA has never faced more attacks from different areas at one time," Feldman said. ''And things are snowballing. And I think that's why there are so many serious discussions about how college sports needs to change and what those changes will look like.''

U.S. District Judge Clifton Corker in the Eastern District of Tennessee issued the injunction that undercuts what has been a fundamental principle of the NCAA's model of amateurism for decades: Third parties cannot pay recruits to attend a particular school.

The judge wrote the NCAA's stance likely violates antitrust law with Congress so far unwilling to give the association an exemption. The judge said athletes with a limited window are hurt by not being able to know their true value before committing to a school.

The decision led to questions about whether boosters will suddenly open the floodgates with offers to potential recruits. Oklahoma State athletic director Chad Weiberg said the Cowboys had anticipated the decision but ''we are awaiting further guidance from the Big 12 Conference and NCAA.''

You think NW is a bubble team?
Also compared to the last guy this team is getting better as the year has gone on, something Pitino teams struggled with. They also play great team ball, compared to Pitino's hero ball.

Right now yes. Most have them on the bubble with Nebraska, with Michigan St just ahead of them. None of them are close to being locks right now.

Right now yes. Most have them on the bubble with Nebraska, with Michigan St just ahead of them. None of them are close to being locks right now.
I see what you're saying. But it is a lock that at least two of those three teams will make the tournament unless the Gophs or Iowa go on a run to end the year.

They likely won't make the NCAA tournament, and still have work to do to make the NIT.

They're right in the middle of the standings in a down, and mediocre B1G.

How is that not mediocre?
Well, most cbj apologists will not, under any circumstances, admit the conference is a shell of itself in terms of quality teams.

I don't disagree with your first 2 sentences.

But an honest question. ...

At this moment in time, when you watch the Gophers play, do you really think they're a mediocre team? Not what they looked like at the beginning of the season, or even a month ago. Right now.

What I see "right now" is a NCAA Tournament-caliber talented team with 4 serious "dudes" (Garcia, Payne, Hawkins, Christie) that in all likelihood will fall short of the NCAA tourney because so much damage was done early in the season (historically crappy non-conference schedule + losing to the only 2 "decent" opponents on it).

These kinds of teams exist most every season, unfortunately, the Gophers are one this season. I'd argue they'd have a better chance to advance in the NCAA than at least 2 of the Big Ten teams likely to make the tournament. (Note: I am not stating a case for the Gophers' resume, only their talent & how they're playing now)
Hard to argue your point. I would say this success is coming in part to a very mediocre conference this season. Not in the same ballpark as past years. And this is not disparaging wins, you can only play the schedule in front of you.

I would. I wonder why the more experienced coaches are struggling to put together elite teams?
Pretty much agree. Not sure on the coaches. Look at izzo. Their front court players on this team are far below their normal, imo. I thought I just saw a highly ranked kid committing to Maryland recently.

The biggest weakness last season was guard and especially point guard. CBJ got it done.

HAWKINS HAD A MONSTER GAME!

24 points. 7 assists. A high motor. I so enjoyed the game.

But a few dingalings can't stop playing with their dingalings, meaning mental mind dingalinging.

All hail Hawkins! How did this thread turn into something other than this BIG performance?

I think some people need to step aside. It is getting old.

All for Payne and Garcia having a nickname but Thunder and Lightning should 100% be Payne and Hawkins.

All for Payne and Garcia having a nickname but Thunder and Lightning should 100% be Payne and Hawkins.
Johnson called those 2 that in the most recent post game presser.

When asked about those two, he said something like “it’s kind of like thunder and lightning”.

Johnson called those 2 that in the most recent post game presser.

When asked about those two, he said something like “it’s kind of like thunder and lightning”.
Yeah, I heard him say that I just don’t think it was the right two guys to assign that nickname too. 😎

Top Bottom