***OFFICIAL NEBRASKA AT MINNESOTA IN-GAME THREAD!!!***

We will not be favored in any game the rest of this year. A 0 win conference schedule is very in play.

That may be true but that doesn't mean we won't win any. Pitino's historically awful team certainly wasn't favored when, at 0-13 in the conference, they beat 22-5 Maryland.

Today's game actually was an encouraging sign. Two very close games in a row against P6 teams after being pretty uncompetitive against the first 5 we played.

Thoughts.

I dont like to do this but the refs were truly terrible. Coach needed to get a T to send a message to them at some point.

As I mentioned a few guys had the best games of their season, nice to see.

The more I see the more I know CBJ is a bad head coach. Bad lineups at crucial times, refuses to get in the refs face, terrible plays out of TOs. I don't know how you can possibly think he's any good.

We will not be favored in any game the rest of this year. A 0 win conference schedule is very in play.
While this might be true to some extent, the majority of people improve the more they work in their vocations when starting out,

Were you sone sort of prodigy or wunderkind who started at the top vs, an entry level job?

I love Battle, but the 3% was bad today, had some ugly shots, though did hit some big ones.

This was the most winnable game on the B1G schedule by a good margin. I'm not sure where they get one but they'll probably get one somewhere.
Would agree with this. Over under 1.5?
I think after today I’m under.

No. Fire him right now. In the locker room. Throw all his stuff out on the street. Then go burn his house down and kick his dog.

As long as we're overreacting, let's just go for it!! :)
He's said it multiple times, so I'm clarifying if he's given up.

Thoughts.

I dont like to do this but the refs were truly terrible. Coach needed to get a T to send a message to them at some point.

As I mentioned a few guys had the best games of their season, nice to see.

The more I see the more I know CBJ is a bad head coach. Bad lineups at crucial times, refuses to get in the refs face, terrible plays out of TOs. I don't know how you can possibly think he's any good.

I thought our ball movement and inbounds plays looked pretty good last year when we had a bunch of dudes in their 4th, 5th, and 6th years of college. I feel like I remember several successful scoring plays drawn up to close out first halves of games last year, either scoring at the rim or Battle or Willis or Loewe or someone hitting an open jumper.

There was this weird and sudden surge in opinion at the start of last season that Pitino yelled and whined at the refs too much, and that Ben Johnson's calmer demeanor was a refreshing change of pace, and there's multiple posts in this thread recommending Johnson yell at the refs more and get a technical. Not necessarily the same people, but I guess you can't please everyone.

We still have Iowa, Penn State, and Wisconsin at home, and road trips vs. Nebraska and Northwestern. We might not be favored in another game, but the probability of losing every single one is still probably fairly low. Even the 2015-16 team, who lost to South Dakota, South Dakota State, and UW-Milwaukee, managed a win against a ranked Maryland team. We could win some game where Payne and Garcia are rebounding and scoring in the post and Battle hits 50% from deep.

Would agree with this. Over under 1.5?
I think after today I’m under.
I haven't seen every team play more than a few minutes, but it seems like Nebraska and Minnesota are the bottom two by a good margin. There aren't any easy games left on the schedule. I might still say 2-18 but 3 might be the ceiling and 0-20 is a real possibility.

I haven't seen every team play more than a few minutes, but it seems like Nebraska and Minnesota are the bottom two by a good margin. There aren't any easy games left on the schedule. I might still say 2-18 but 3 might be the ceiling and 0-20 is a real possibility.
I think 1-19
I think 2-18 is more likely than 0-20
I think 0-20 is more likely than 3-17

Mind-boggling why you take Henley out when he's making everyone play better.
Exactly, exactly, exactly. BJ pulled him late against Wisconsin in favor of carrington and playmaking immediately disappeared. Same thing today for samuels. Henley is still raw, but he plays at a way different speed than the rest of our back court. Play the hot hand and sit the guys who add nothing.

I thought our ball movement and inbounds plays looked pretty good last year when we had a bunch of dudes in their 4th, 5th, and 6th years of college. I feel like I remember several successful scoring plays drawn up to close out first halves of games last year, either scoring at the rim or Battle or Willis or Loewe or someone hitting an open jumper.

There was this weird and sudden surge in opinion at the start of last season that Pitino yelled and whined at the refs too much, and that Ben Johnson's calmer demeanor was a refreshing change of pace, and there's multiple posts in this thread recommending Johnson yell at the refs more and get a technical. Not necessarily the same people, but I guess you can't please everyone.

We still have Iowa, Penn State, and Wisconsin at home, and road trips vs. Nebraska and Northwestern. We might not be favored in another game, but the probability of losing every single one is still probably fairly low. Even the 2015-16 team, who lost to South Dakota, South Dakota State, and UW-Milwaukee, managed a win against a ranked Maryland team. We could win some game where Payne and Garcia are rebounding and scoring in the post and Battle hits 50% from deep.
I'm not a fan of the McCaffrey level eruptions every game but CBJ just seems so apathetic about it. We were CLEARLY getting the bad side of the whistle today and he seemed to be totally ambivalent to it.

I'm not a fan of the McCaffrey level eruptions every game but CBJ just seems so apathetic about it. We were CLEARLY getting the bad side of the whistle today and he seemed to be totally ambivalent to it.
It doesn’t even need to be him getting angry at the refs, I just want to see CBJ show some emotion. He looks totally checked out.

I don’t think it changes the whistles, but it can pump up the team and the crowd. IMO, sometimes the coach needs to show some fight.

Back to the game, I really thought we had that one, especially after Samuels tied it and sent it to OT. I don't have the highest hopes when it comes to this team, but they find a way to get under them.

Maybe some day we’ll have an actual big man again so guys like Walker can’t do whatever they want.
The problem wasn't really the big man. They spread us out and drove on us. We have no help defense. The driver was one on one against the defender time and again. Once it gets to that point it is tough to stop.

No. Fire him right now. In the locker room. Throw all his stuff out on the street. Then go burn his house down and kick his dog.

As long as we're overreacting, let's just go for it!! :)
He's not getting fired for years. I don't blame him. He is just going to have to learn on the job.

Mind-boggling why you take Henley out when he's making everyone play better.
On both sides of the ball no less. Right now he is the quickest kid we have against the drive and on offense he is really the only guy who can beat someone of the dribble and make a play. I like him.
In fact I like all of Ben's frosh this year for varying reasons and they are all competitors as well.

Not a well coached game today.
Never tried zone or any strategy to stop them from driving it past us, took out Henley after his best stretch as a Gopher and killed our momentum there, broke up their best run with a weird lineup including Thompson, called the timeout with 20 seconds that led to a horrid Battle shot. He cannot seem to get Battle to improve shot selection or Cooper to move the ball on offense.

I will say this, for much of the game they reversed the ball better and did find Battle some open shots- he just couldn't make most of them.

Maybe some day we’ll have an actual big man again so guys like Walker can’t do whatever they want.
We have one in Payne, he just needs more development and consistency to play extended minutes against a guy like that. In another year, he will dominate a guy like Walker on the Offensive end while limiting his (Walker or whomever he goes against) impact on the game at the defensive end.

Top Bottom