*** OFFICIAL MINNESOTA-STANFORD IN-GAME THREAD ***

I really can't believe that just happened. We don't get breaks like that. It just doesn't happen.

Wow. Guess not all the Stanford kids are that smart..... that was a really stupid way to lose a game.

The Pac 12 refs did their best, but Minnesota prevailed.

Dre made the GW free throws but Trevor won that game for us down the stretch. Stanford had some serious size but Trev was going bucket for bucket with Powell. He looked just like his old self, great performance from him.

And the refs really weren't that bad to us, I don't know what you guys are talking about.

Tubby Smith has never not won the national championship in a season in which his team beat Stanford.

17 turnovers and just 2 for 9 from 3-point land. Found a way to win. Mbakwe had a great game. I wish Andre was a little more consistent. Just one field goal after putting in 41.

Mbakwe huge, 19 points and 12 rebounds. Hope to see more of the same.

I thought the refs made some non-calls both ways, to be fair, that seemed like obvious fouls. But to say they were clearly in favor of Stanford - i can't agree with that. On the other hand i do think a few of the possession calls might have been skewed a bit in Stanford's favor. At the end of the game, however, all i really care about is the final score. :clap:

Great win. Trevor is getting better and better every game. Hopefully everyone continues to stay healthy as we approach B1G play. Love this team despite some of it's flaws.

Won another close game. Good win for the gophers. Now beat FSU! Hard to feel bad about the tournament. Would have loved to beat Duke but didn't, but then care of business after that.

And the refs really weren't that bad to us, I don't know what you guys are talking about.

I can't speak for anyone else, but since I wasn't able to watch the game I had to resort to listening to Grimm and Tollackson on the radio. Their homerism made it seem like the refs had a vendetta against the Gophers.

I can't speak for anyone else, but since I wasn't able to watch the game I had to resort to listening to Grimm and Tollackson on the radio. Their homerism made it seem like the refs had a vendetta against the Gophers.

There was bad calls on both teams. Grimm and Tollackson not acknowledging the ones that went for us doesn't surprise me.

Things like that tend to even themselves out, and they did today.

The refs did the Gophers a favor by calling that last foul. A lot of times the refs won't call that because the ball had already left his hand, and it was so late it basically decided the outcome of the game. Not saying it wasn't a foul, but it's not uncommon for such a foul to not be called given the time and score. There were a couple questionable foul calls on the Gophers, but that last call more than made up for them.

....that was a foul and it would have been an embarrassment if it wasn't called. I don't remember a single situation where a defender made that much contact on a shot like that so I'm not sure how you can say there is that kind of precedent for that call...

The "let the players decide the game" thing doesn't work here. The players did decide the game. Randall decided to commit one of the dumbest fouls I've ever seen in college basketball. That decided the game.

I agree that was one of the worst fouls to commit. Bad, bad foul... I thought the refs were ok but missed calls on both sides...Trevor should have had one called on a rebound but also cleanly blocked a shot that was called a foul.

I thought he and Williams played very well. Nice to see them win with Hollins a non-factor...

Prolific, you have not watched a lot of college basketball if you think what Randle did was one of the dumbest fouls ever. My opinion is it was a foul, but whether it's called largely depends on the propensity for the refs to call fouls in the particular game. In this one, the refs obviously were not shy to blow their whistles. So it made sense for that foul to be called in this game. But don't be surprised if you see something similar go uncalled in other games.

A couple of the dumbest fouls I can remember in recent years came in a Round of 32 game in the 2011 NCAA tourney, Butler's Shelvin Mack fouled a Pitt player shooting from halfcourt when Butler was UP by a point with 1.4 seconds to go. What's even worse, Nasir Robinson for Pitt fouled a Butler player after Pitt missed a FT when the game was tied with 0.8 seconds to go. Pitt basically lost a chance at a Final Four because of a stupid foul.
http://espn.go.com/ncb/recap?gameId=310780221

Jamelle Horne for Arizona twice fouled opponents right before the buzzer with a tie score near halfcourt in one season. If my memory is correct, on one of the plays he actually chased after the opponent and fouled him from behind to ensure that he would snatch defeat from the jaws of victory.
http://www.aolnews.com/2009/01/17/jamelle-horne-might-be-least-intelligent-basketball-player-ever/

I said one of the dumbest ever. Not the dumbest. Finding two comparable ones doesn't do anything to disprove that.

The refs did the Gophers a favor by calling that last foul. A lot of times the refs won't call that because the ball had already left his hand, and it was so late it basically decided the outcome of the game. Not saying it wasn't a foul, but it's not uncommon for such a foul to not be called given the time and score. There were a couple questionable foul calls on the Gophers, but that last call more than made up for them.

So the refs "made up" for the bad calls by making an easy call?

We couldn't hit a three to save our lives, couldn't hold onto the ball & the other team was just as physical as we were, but we found a way to win. You hear the cliche all the time, but this is how you "learn to win".

Top Bottom