***OFFICIAL MINNESOTA AT wisconsin IN-GAME THREAD!!!***

Lack of a consistent third scorer has hurt us all season. Liked the fight in the guys tonite at a place where only one visiting team has had success. Hopfully Oturu stays, Pitino stays, we pick up a grad transfer big (am guessing Greenlee transfers). Another year of experience and we win these close games.

I think it means MSU is down, Michigan is down, Purdue is down. I think it means the Big 10 is significantly overrated.
I disagree. All of the computer models and advanced analytics disagree. I'm buying stock in this conference going into the tourney.

National Basketball Association...some guy named Lebron plays in it.
He is not currently good enough to play in the NBA
When is the last time you watched an NBA game?

he can’t defend true 7 footers. He can’t defend stretch fours or fives.

he can’t dribble the ball.

Ihnen is going to be a star. But..he did miss an open three and then a defensive assignment. No doubt about that, but the kid is really coming along - 10 boards tonight.
Possible.
He killed us the last 3 minutes tonight though

I disagree. All of the computer models and advanced analytics disagree. I'm buying stock in this conference going into the tourney.
Depends on what you’re looking for.
I could see the big ten getting 4-5 in the sweet 16 and 7-8 in the round of 32.
I could also see them getting nobody to the elite 8.

Does he need to work on aspects of his game? Obviously yes.
Is he good enough for the NBA? Yes.
Do you understand how the NBA draft really works? Obviously not.

Depends on what you’re looking for.
I could see the big ten getting 4-5 in the sweet 16 and 7-8 in the round of 32.
I could also see them getting nobody to the elite 8.
You just described the nature of the tournament or any tournament for any team or conference. You've made no point at all other than describing the range of possibilities, which by definition are almost infinite.

I'm putting my money where my mouth is. At the risk of tipping my competitors off in a public forum, I'm favoring the Big Ten with my tournament pool picks.

You just described the nature of the tournament or any tournament for any team or conference. You've made no point at all other than describing the range of possibilities, which by definition are almost infinite.

I'm putting my money where my mouth is. At the risk of tipping my competitors off in a public forum, I'm favoring the Big Ten with my tournament pool picks.
Okay

I have watched plenty of NBA this year....There are players on the bench for some of those teams that have no business being on an NBA roster...Daniel is already at least on par with them....There is a reason why he is being projected as a late first, early season rounder....No need to risk serious injury playing for another mediocre gopher team next year.

Does he need to work on aspects of his game? Obviously yes.
Is he good enough for the NBA? Yes.
Do you understand how the NBA draft really works? Obviously not.
Any team drafting him right now is wasting a pick IMO
He isn’t fast or strong enough to defend in the NBA. He isn’t good enough offensively to make up with it because he can’t put the ball on the floor. I suspect NBA scouts are seeing the same thing.

I have watched plenty of NBA this year....There are players on the bench for some of those teams that have no business being on an NBA roster...Daniel is already at least on par with them....There is a reason why he is being projected as a late first, early season rounder....No need to risk serious injury playing for another mediocre gopher team next year.
The players you are referring to exist, unfortunately for Daniel Oturu they don’t exist as 6’10 guys who can’t defend stretch fours and can’t dribble the basketball.
He will not be a first round pick.

He is a center who really can’t play anything else.
He is a center and the NBA is increasingly getting away from playing centers.
He is a center who isn’t athletic enough to defend the best NBA centers or stretch forwards.

I’m not saying he isn’t a great basketball player. But the worst guys on NBA rosters fit a role. Daniel’s role doesn’t really exist

The players you are referring to exist, unfortunately for Daniel Oturu they don’t exist as 6’10 guys who can’t defend stretch fours and can’t dribble the basketball.

He is a center who isn’t athletic enough to defend the best NBA centers or stretch forwards.

I’m not saying he isn’t a great basketball player. But the worst guys on NBA rosters fit a role. Daniel’s role doesn’t really exist
So worst case scenario, he leaves and gets drafted second round.....Plays in the D-league and does not make an NBA roster....Ends up over in Europe playing for hundreds of thousands of dollars...I am thinking he will still like his decision.

Thoughts...

1) Oturu's such a blessing. It's too bad his great year came with this year's team instead of last year's. He deservedly is going to be a 1st round pick this summer and make millions. Good for him!

2) Willis wouldn't start or play >15 mins per game for a good team. A poster mentioned that he offers nothing besides 3pt shooting, but he doesn't even shoot threes well. He'd be serviceable as an 8th man on a team with more talent.

3) Very excited for Ihnen's future! Would like to see him try to get to the rim more off the dribble.

4) I know guys who play pickup ball at lifetime fitness who could put Demir to shame when it comes to shooting open threes. It's clear he has zero idea where the ball is going when he chucks one up.

5) Anyone expect this team to win a close game? Anyone?

Thoughts...

1) Oturu's such a blessing. It's too bad his great year came with this year's team instead of last year's. He deservedly is going to be a 1st round pick this summer and make millions. Good for him!

2) Willis wouldn't start or play >15 mins per game for a good team. A poster mentioned that he offers nothing besides 3pt shooting, but he doesn't even shoot threes well. He'd be serviceable as an 8th man on a team with more talent.

3) Very excited for Ihnen's future! Would like to see him try to get to the rim more off the dribble.

4) I know guys who play pickup ball at lifetime fitness who could put Demir to shame when it comes to shooting open threes. It's clear he has zero idea where the ball is going when he chucks one up.

Incorrect.

There is a reason why he is being projected as a late first, early season rounder....No need to risk serious injury playing for another mediocre gopher team next year.

Except, of course, for NBADraft.Net which currently has him listed at #7. I'm fairly confident Oturu will be a first rounder if he goes.

I disagree. I've seen enough this year to believe that he can become a 4 who has decent enough outside shooting at the next level. I also think the idea that the NBA is getting away from playing centers is vastly overplayed. The centers may be a bit different than they were forty years ago but centers are still playing. Yes, Daniel would have a tough time defending Joel Embid but so do the overwhelming majority of big men currently in the NBA.

Thoughts...

Growth this year has been great. He's earned it as well. Wish more people would appreciate this MN boy staying home. If he got all the love he deserved maybe it'd entice more to do so.

Don't disagree that he wouldn't start per say. He's a slightly above average defender and he's a 35% 3 pt shooter. That is not bad. 6th or 7th man on many tournament teams. 8th man on a top 10 team. That's still good. He was a good transfer to take in my opinion.

Grown a ton already in actual size and defense. He will be fun to watch develop.

There used to be an old guy at the gym at my college who'd make 70 3's in a row. This means nothing. Demir like everyone else is in an awful shooting slump. Was hoping he'd make more, hopefully now he will stop taking them and get less minutes.

We won some close ones earlier (OSU, Mich, and PSU)but my hopes for the rest of this year are down. I honestly did like this roster. I expected us to defend as a team better though. Also didn't foresee all the awful shooting either.

Growth this year has been great. He's earned it as well. Wish more people would appreciate this MN boy staying home. If he got all the love he deserved maybe it'd entice more to do so.

Don't disagree that he wouldn't start per say. He's a slightly above average defender and he's a 35% 3 pt shooter. That is not bad. 6th or 7th man on many tournament teams. 8th man on a top 10 team. That's still good. He was a good transfer to take in my opinion.

Grown a ton already in actual size and defense. He will be fun to watch develop.

There used to be an old guy at the gym at my college who'd make 70 3's in a row. This means nothing. Demir like everyone else is in an awful shooting slump. Was hoping he'd make more, hopefully now he will stop taking them and get less minutes.

We won some close ones earlier (OSU, Mich, and PSU)but my hopes for the rest of this year are down. I honestly did like this roster. I expected us to defend as a team better though. Also didn't foresee all the awful shooting either.
What is lacking? What should fans do?

Upside people with Oturo. He has improved every year since his Frosh year of high school.

Look at the BIG leap from last year to this year. First year shooting threes and shooting 34%. Catch, turn and shoot face up jumper is $$. He had a sic crossover yesterday and puts the ball on the floor well from the elbow.

These three things he obviously worked on this past summer to add to his game. Pretty impressive. He shoots the three better that Reuvers who according to Jesse Settles has guard skills as well as big man skills! ?

He shoots the

as far as the rosters, the Gophers might be more "talented" than WI - but the WI players are recruited to play a specific system, they are coached to play in a specific system, and they know what is expected of them in that system. When you have that, a less talented roster can defeat a more talented roster if they execute - and the other team doesn't.

Ironically, saying that MN has a more talented roster is really a criticism of Pitino. If you have more talent on paper, but you're losing on the court, then the coaching staff is not getting the most out of their talent.

I am Not a Badger fan, but I respect the fact that they can win games with that level of talent.

wouldn't it be fun, just once, to talk about the Gophers beating a more-talented team because of their superior execution?

I have respect for Wi program. Just don't like it

I'm impressed by their current streak as I don't think they have that much talent on the roster. But probably some anti Wi bias built in

as far as the rosters, the Gophers might be more "talented" than WI - but the WI players are recruited to play a specific system, they are coached to play in a specific system, and they know what is expected of them in that system. When you have that, a less talented roster can defeat a more talented roster if they execute - and the other team doesn't.

Ironically, saying that MN has a more talented roster is really a criticism of Pitino. If you have more talent on paper, but you're losing on the court, then the coaching staff is not getting the most out of their talent.

I am Not a Badger fan, but I respect the fact that they can win games with that level of talent.

wouldn't it be fun, just once, to talk about the Gophers beating a more-talented team because of their superior execution?
SO well said!!!!!

Gabe is routine punching bag for being in a sophomore slump...drives me nuts
Any discussion of Gabe has to include how hard he works. His effort is incredible. That said, dropping from 40% 3 point shooting to 25% three point shooting in Big Ten games has been a huge problem and a difference maker this season. He has shot 120 shots in Big Ten play. 15% of that is 18 shots or 54 more points. That's at least three or four more wins if he is what he was last year as a shooter.

Possible.
He killed us the last 3 minutes tonight though
Possibly. Hope RP can use this as a failure is growth opportunity and teach the young man so he can learn from his mistakes. Not sure, but doubt he's had many minutes so far this year at the end of games. Need to experience those situations in order to learn how to be effective in them.

Hear the perpetual whining about who's not here instead of focusing on the ones who are.
I think most Gopher fans realize and appreciate DO. What am I missing?

Gabe plays great D, and has been recognized for it many times. His shooting is abysmal, just no other way around it. I have said all season he need to score consistently for the team to win. And he hasn't. And the team has struggled. And no, I am not laying blame all on Gabe,

I think most Gopher fans realize and appreciate DO. What am I missing?

Gabe plays great D, and has been recognized for it many times. His shooting is abysmal, just no other way around it. I have said all season he need to score consistently for the team to win. And he hasn't. And the team has struggled. And no, I am not laying blame all on Gabe,

His shooting hasn't been absymal. It's just been very average. It still at 33%. Of course if he was shooting 41% like last year it's a different season probably with how close so many of the losses have been. My point a lot of MN fans whine about not getting guys, but then are harsh and call them wastes when they come. It's now happening to Jarvis and has with Hurt for awhile. Not their fault they were offered and took scholarships.

Top Bottom