***OFFICIAL MINNESOTA AT PENN ST IN-GAME THREAD!!!***

Great comeback. Credit to Ben for shortening the bench in the 2nd half. Don't think Ihnen played and Carrington only in the last minute. Needed scoring to come back.
Don’t play Ihnen at all unless Payne is out or in foul trouble. Give Fox every minute of his until further notice

The last 19 minutes was an amazing 50-27 for the Gophers on the road. Lots of guys made winning plays in the second half in fact all of the top 6 did. Best half of the year. The big drive by Garcia when we were floundering then the offensive board and and-one by JOJ, lots of scrappy plays by Mitchell and Fox, Christie growing up under pressure (19 pts, 8 boards and 5 assists) and of course Hawkins who makes this team go.

Didn't get to watch much but appears to follow the same script as Nebraska? Poor 1st half, spectacular 2nd half. Absolutely needed that one. Well done

Great win. First half very discouraging. But these guys don’t give up. I know there are those who do not want the team to succeed so Ben will get fired and their dire prognostications will come true. I think he should get some credit for turning things around at halftime of this game.

If you blame him for all the losses, give him credit for the win. This was only PSU’s 2nd home B1G loss.

I thought it was a mistake to leave Hawkins on bench in first half while we fell behind so much, but they proved me wrong. Nice - and badly needed - comeback win. Fox with nice minutes, and just a pretty solid second half all around. Go Gophers!
I was thinking about that during the comeback. If he got his third in the first half, that might have been the death knell.

team certainly does not quit on Ben. No matter what you say or how you say it, he's at least got guys here who stick together
From the character standpoint- his own and going to get guys that have it- he is very good. I hope he can become a better strategic and X's and O's coach, because he trails the pack there. I'd love to see him succeed here.

Just think what this team could do if they put together two good half's in one game.

I am not sure why we start out so cold and inconsistent in 1st halfs. Once we learn to play consistently, like the 2nd half, this team will be pretty good.

This is a learning year. Get these kids to come back next season and UMN has a winning season in the B1G.

You are correct on that, for the most part. However, why are we always in a 15-point hole?

Penn State found a hole in the defense that they could exploit. Staff made the adjustments at halftime to shut that down.

Does anyone remember Pitino's last few teams. I swear.....it was a common occurence to have the opposing team come out of halftime and go on like a 10-0 run right off the bat.

This is not a bad team nor is this a poorly coached team.

I mean, don't get me wrong, I get it - its been rough being a Gopher fan for a long time but we have decent talent and have been beating and playing close with some good teams. On top of that we appear to be improving as we gain experience & confidence. ...and you gotta like how they are coming out of the halftime locker-room like a honey badger every single game.

Just think what this team could do if they put together two good half's in one game.

I am not sure why we start out so cold and inconsistent in 1st halfs. Once we learn to play consistently, like the 2nd half, this team will be pretty good.

This is a learning year. Get these kids to come back next season and UMN has a winning season in the B1G.
I agree with you about the 1st half/2nd half disparity but tonight was different as the team was playing well until Hawkins picked up that second foul and they really struggled with Penn State's pressure defense without him.

Consistency is the key.....when this team is playing well they are amazing but they are also prone to long stetches where nothign goes right.

This has consistently been a really good second half team this year. Somehow, someway they have to figure out how to play like that for the entire 40 minutes.

Didn't get to watch much but appears to follow the same script as Nebraska? Poor 1st half, spectacular 2nd half. Absolutely needed that one. Well done
Call it a poor 6 mins (guessing at the time) to end the first half. 19-2 run. They beat them until that pretty fine. However, a switch flipped and Penn State just crushed us.

Top Bottom