***OFFICIAL MINNESOTA AT MISSISSIPPI STATE IN-GAME THREAD!!!***

Not sure what the answer is to the long scoring drought from the field before Willis' late 3. It didn't seem like the shot quality went down significantly or they were playing tight.

Fatigue, possibly?

if there has been any downside on the season, and we knew it coming in, its just the overall lack of depth across the board. I was expecting/hoping Thompson and Thiam could give a bit more spot minutes.....and i still think they will be forced too. End of halfs....get them out there for a minute or two before media timeouts....

we are 7-0 so i wont complain about anything....but this would be my one big red flag

Fatigue, possibly?
Maybe but they have also gone on droughts early in games. It seems to me that most college teams will have at least one stretch per game when they can't score. What makes the difference is what the other team does while they can't score. They had a nearly four minute scoreless streak against Pitt out of the gate, but Pitt had one at exactly the same time. Push.

Could be. Every starter outside of Curry logged 38 mins or more. Battle logged 40.

And we're only 7 games in. You would expect the fatigue factor to be more advanced in the last 10 games of the season.

if there has been any downside on the season, and we knew it coming in, its just the overall lack of depth across the board. I was expecting/hoping Thompson and Thiam could give a bit more spot minutes.....and i still think they will be forced too. End of halfs....get them out there for a minute or two before media timeouts....

we are 7-0 so i wont complain about anything....but this would be my one big red flag
I keep hoping that they can work Treyton in more and trust him more as the season goes along. He could be a valuable guy.

It's quite possible that they've decided that this is going to be a rotation of experienced players and that Treyton just doesn't fit that and would serve as the weak link in an otherwise experienced team. Or it could simply be that he's more of a project than they expected or than one would think considering his rating.

So far I haven’t. I saw some highlights on Twitter.

Also—a little sad you follow me closely enough to know what i said when i don’t remember it.

Don't flatter yourself....

This board was almost unreadable for most of the summer with some posters who came on here daily with 20 plus negative posts about the program, the coach and the recruits. Because of that you were pretty easy to remember. Especially after you said you weren't going to bother to watch them this year. Don't worry...there are others I remember on here also. Some posters complained early and then moved on about their disappointment. I can understand that. At least they were going to make judgements after watching them play and see Ben's first high school recruiting class. Others seemed to make it a contest to see who could rip and belly ache about the program and coach more.

Because of their depth and lack of size, I expect the Gophers to struggle once they get into the B1G season. Some of their young guys aren't ready to help out defensively yet. But this team is fun to watch....as they have some players with experience who know how to play basketball. They have already exceeded most everyones expectations for the season. I hope they can continue to surprise us this year.

Maybe but they have also gone on droughts early in games. It seems to me that most college teams will have at least one stretch per game when they can't score. What makes the difference is what the other team does while they can't score. They had a nearly four minute scoreless streak against Pitt out of the gate, but Pitt had one at exactly the same time. Push.
We've had a lot of break between games this part of the season. Have to think the coaching staff is taking advantage of it. Between Pitt and Mississippi State we had a 5 day break. MISS St. was a Sunday day game and we don't play until Wednesday night.

Think our starters should be well rested. I expect to go short bench for Ben's Big 10 opener at the Barn.

Then at Michigan I hope to see an extended bench.

Then we close out the season against 3 scrub teams, so hopefully the bench gets their most playing time during that stretch.

Don't flatter yourself....

This board was almost unreadable for most of the summer with some posters who came on here daily with 20 plus negative posts about the program, the coach and the recruits. Because of that you were pretty easy to remember. Especially after you said you weren't going to bother to watch them this year. Don't worry...there are others I remember on here also. Some posters complained early and then moved on about their disappointment. I can understand that. At least they were going to make judgements after watching them play and see Ben's first high school recruiting class. Others seemed to make it a contest to see who could rip and belly ache about the program and coach more.

Because of their depth and lack of size, I expect the Gophers to struggle once they get into the B1G season. Some of their young guys aren't ready to help out defensively yet. But this team is fun to watch....as they have some players with experience who know how to play basketball. They have already exceeded most everyones expectations for the season. I hope they can continue to surprise us this year.
I'm glad you're keeping score. I hope you're satisfied that people aren't watching them. Its just an odd argument. Sorry it was unreadable. I'm sure you can find the thread where I apologized for derailing them.

I don't get ESPNU anymore so thats been a major hindrance. Also, didn't get season tickets cause can't bring the baby to games at 8pm on a Wednesday. Sad, really.

but a big fan like you--all in. Nice of you to donate, attend games, etc.

Thus far
Opponents 3 point percentage is .231 Gophers are the best in the nation on that stat

Gophers turn it over 9.7 per game. Have a total of 68 which places them 7th in the nation for fewest turnovers.

Defensive rebounding they sit at 29th best.

I have no idea why MSU didn’t pound it inside all game, but I would guess it has to do with poor coaching. MSU took 29 three pointers in this game. That is not how you beat the Gophers.

MSU won the rebounding battle 42-27! That should tell them something about how to beat the Gophers.
I was told it's impossible to be a poor coach if you make three straight final fours.

I have no idea why MSU didn’t pound it inside all game, but I would guess it has to do with poor coaching. MSU took 29 three pointers in this game. That is not how you beat the Gophers.

MSU won the rebounding battle 42-27! That should tell them something about how to beat the Gophers.

Most players , only think and want to shoot the 3, regardless of mismatches, coaches won't ,or are unwilling to make them.
Just the way it is !

On the rebound battle:

The Gophers have made a conscience decision not to crash the offensive glass (just sending one or maybe 2 players for the OR). That way they make the other team set up in the offensive zone and give up very few fast break points.

And we're only 7 games in. You would expect the fatigue factor to be more advanced in the last 10 games of the season.

Fatigue?
I don't want to hear about it.
There are so many stoppages of play and they are so long,fatigue is no factor. These guys are world class athletes and can handle 4 or so minutes of play an then a 2 or 4 minute rest

two more wins this season and Richard Pitino's season record will be safe, 8-23

Fatigue?
I don't want to hear about it.
There are so many stoppages of play and they are so long,fatigue is no factor. These guys are world class athletes and can handle 4 or so minutes of play an then a 2 or 4 minute rest
I kind of agree. Plus there's halftime, fouls, timeouts (of the non-tv variety), official reviews (in crunch time), and free throws throughout the game.

Fatigue was absolutely a factor, at least for some players. Luke was huffin' and puffin' on the sideline. There are a lot of stoppages, yes, but he's going all out on every defensive possession.

Thus far
Opponents 3 point percentage is .231 Gophers are the best in the nation on that stat

Gophers turn it over 9.7 per game. Have a total of 68 which places them 7th in the nation for fewest turnovers.

Defensive rebounding they sit at 29th best.
Also...Fewest fouls, we are 11th. Defensive rebounds per. game, a solid 31st. All this ads up to identity. Fans want identity, coaches talk about it (often times too much), and writers write about it. At this very early point in the season we have an identity. Oh yea, we are also tied for 1st in Won-Lost percentage.

Top Bottom