***OFFICIAL MINNESOTA AT MICHIGAN IN-GAME THREAD TWAS NIGHT BEFORE XMAS THEME!!!***

Fox not a great shooter 6’8 but thin. Serious hops and scored a lot in the paint at Northern. I hope he is able to carry that scoring up a level… he will play hard and bring some fire… should be fun

Honestly....the way Curry has been playing.....I'm not convinced that Ihnen was his best returning player. And while Ihnen is a big guy....Curry is bigger and we don't have a whole lot of size.

But....you make a very good point. While it's still too early....Ben Johnson is making a case for Big Ten COTY.
I think Ilhen will blossom under coach Bens tutelage - he is an elite athlete and showed flashes last year🤩

Curious why everyone is so high on Fox. He is a D2 transfer, no? I’ll be honest, I know nothing about him other than what I’ve read on these boards. However, everyone was ripping on guys transferring from mid to low D1s. What makes Fox so different?
At the very least, another rotational player considering we only go about 7 deep. I thought there was a bit of excitement about his commitment but understand that probably varied from person to person.

two years left to play. he's in grad school. would he sit out this year and play two, and spend three years in grad school? guessing he'll start playing later this month, that way he'll be ready for the tournament

This is also a good point. I would be surprised if Fox wants to still be in school when he's 25.

Anyone that has paid attention to the Gophers this year knows that this is not a bad team. Not a championship team but definitely not a bad team either. Winning a preseason tournament and then going on the road and winning at Pitt and Mississippi State sealed that.
What a difference coaching makes. I always thought that Ben Johnson will win. I wasn't expecting that he will be winning sooner.

Throw out all those rookie coach assumptions. Coyle and Gabel snagged themselves a winner. Don't feel so bad about the $2 million a year contract. It will be a bargain.

Teams have to come and beat the Gophers. They are not going to give games away. I like what BJ said in the presser - it's all in the details.

Last edited:

Continue to be very surprised by this team and have to resist the urge to go overboard. While a great start put them in position to win at Mississippi State, Saturday's win had them trailing at halftime. Strangest stats: 2 total assists and 2 bench points...and still winning against what should be a good Michigan team. I loved the stragegy to involve Dickinson in a lot of actions and use the Wolverines 2 big lineup against them by making Battle more of a driver...and credit to Battle for being able to execute. In this game it was Stephens keeping them in it early, Battle again having a great stretch in the second half and Willis continuing to surprise with his play.

Favorite play of the game: Loewe boxing out Dickinson late and drawing the foul. The color guy said it wasn't a foul, but it absolutely was as Dickinson pushed Loewe in the back before the rebound reached him. Giving up probably 70lbs and 8 inches of height to draw that foul was a perfect example of some the smart/tough play we've seen from this team in getting some unexpected early wins. Got to make those free throws though Luke!

I went back a few pages and see the conversation on Fox, but can't find the origins of the discussion only debate on his potential impact. Is it still rumored that he may be ready to play in January? My concern there (having never seen him play so can't speak to ability) is the difficult of jumping from rehabbing serious injury to B1G play when your previous experience was at a much lower level. I wish he could play in thse upcoming games against low-mid majors to see how he adapts, but he's obviously not ready to do that. I didn't think it was woth posting at the time, but after a timeout was called in the MSU game at the Barn, Fox did a two foot jump from the bench on to the floor. That at least shows a little confidence in his knee.

Continue to be very surprised by this team and have to resist the urge to go overboard.
Why? Are you so fragile that if you get on board and things go south, you will be inconsolable?

Perhaps, but very reliable sources suggest the decision that he depart was mutual between him and the new administration.
Didn't he want to follow his uncle (Ed Conroy?) to Vanderbilt?

Nice little match up for whoever draws the assignment to cover Isaac Mushila tonight.
6' 5" averages 15.3 with 9.1 rebounds. (Going to assume Loewe.)
Quite a journey. Left the Congo for high school at Spire Academy in Ohio. Next stop was Gillette JC in Wyoming. Then on to Western Texas JC and now putting up some nice numbers for the Islanders.

Didn't he want to follow his uncle (Ed Conroy?) to Vanderbilt?
My reliable source indicated that was not automatic, and his decision was "mutual" with the new coaching staff. No shame or judgment on either party, but it does downplay the "he should have stayed" argument being tossed around, when it appears both sides thought it might be best for him to seek new opportunities.

Top Bottom