***OFFICIAL MARYLAND AT MINNESOTA IN-GAME THREAD!!!!***

I'm just dead inside. This is a game we couldn't afford to lose, and we did.

He's not going anywhere - this will be a seasoned team next year with a true point guard coming in - everyone will learn from the hard losses , if the same thing happens next year all bets are off.....

I don't think he'll get fired as he's developed relationships with the top local recruits in upcoming classes. No shot at landing Thompson, Jones, Hurt etc. if Pitino's ousted. Having a new coach start from square one with those guys would not be good. I think Pitino has one more year of leeway.

Another question: is Coffey on the team next year or does he dive into draft? Huge impact on team and recruiting next year.
That is a two edged sword. He may have relationships with them but how many respect him? Which of those players want to play on a team whose realistic goal is going to the NIT? Local players may see all his BS and not want to be part of it.

IMHO, Coffey transfers to get away from the train wreck.

Sent from my SM-T550 using Tapatalk

Hard to say. As the losses keep piling up the same way over an over again clearly something is wrong.

A lack of luck is the biggest thing. If you split the close games the Gophers would be 5-4 and no one would be in quite as bitchy a mood. Gophers have missed, I believe, 5 (6?) game-winning shot attempts in the 4 closest losses.

Another question: is Coffey on the team next year or does he dive into draft? Huge impact on team and recruiting next year.

No way Coffey goes pro. He's not even close to NBA ready and his dad knows it.

I don't think he'll get fired as he's developed relationships with the top local recruits in upcoming classes. No shot at landing Thompson, Jones, Hurt etc. if Pitino's ousted. Having a new coach start from square one with those guys would not be good. I think Pitino has one more year of leeway.

You may be right but I don't believe it's a certainty. If administration doesn't like the direction things are headed, the relationships won't matter. The concern are the second half of season swoons. Becoming an alarming trend.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

He's not going anywhere - this will be a seasoned team next year with a true point guard coming in - everyone will learn from the hard losses , if the same thing happens next year all bets are off.....

True freshman PG. I wouldn't be holding out hope the PG is the savior. Besides it's a pretty seasoned team this year. Plenty of guys who have played plenty of minutes.

Coffey just got owned today by another freshman sitting in the corner draining 3's, and another freshman or two on MY lighting it up. Being the 3rd or 4th best freshman on the court usually doesn't lend you to being a lottery pick.

Lol at the goofballs who want Pitino gone. This team is lightyears ahead of where they were last year and are competing with the top class of the B1G. No one came into this season with any expectations about being a B1G championship caliber team. This team is young and needs time to mature. Its asinine to be calling for Pitinos head.

It has to get to the point where the players says I'm done with this ****

Hurt, down the stretch? He wasn't even in the game but for that one turnover mid-2nd half.
Hurts 4 point swing was MDs first tie...5 min to play. MN was not the same after

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Really? No seriously, really? B1G basketball players better have a far greater competitive spirit than that.

MD shot 61% from 3

A lack of luck is the biggest thing. If you split the close games the Gophers would be 5-4 and no one would be in quite as bitchy a mood. Gophers have missed, I believe, 5 (6?) game-winning shot attempts in the 4 closest losses.

They didn't split the close games so your 3-6. Goes beyond lack of luck. More going on than a bounce here or there going the other way.

New ad combined with a 19-41 big ten record. At some point need to realize doesn't matter who the Joe's are if the coach is in way way over his head. Recruiting is fine but a .319 winning percentage isn't acceptable.

No, but I think he will seriously consider transferring if Pitino stays. The second half swoons and Pitino saying things like "I don't like coaching during the game" have to make Dad wonder about this program.

He'll be back but is there any coaching reason he should be? It really feels like his job is safe only because of the buyout in his contract.

Jordan Murphy should not be on the floor in the closing minutes of any close game. Makes horrible decisions with the basketball, and if by some act of God he ends up shooting free-throws, he is lucky to make 1/2. I know Lynch fouled out so the frontcourt options are limited, but man you don't want Jordan Murphy handling the ball in crunch-time.

Nailed it. Not to mention he is a liability on D and stands out as the most commonly exposed gopher defender. Murphy should be a rotational guy who comes in, hustles, rebounds, and if he scores it should be because he got a put-back on an offensive rebound. No offense should flow through him, and for the love of god, if he ever takes another three he should be benched for the entirety of the game. Getting Oturu is great, but man, we need a JUCO who can play serviceable minutes at the 4/5 next year.

Coaches have to bring them into the classroom and teach them. Otherwise it becomes anarchy and the losses go from a couple points to double digits.

Lol at the goofballs who want Pitino gone. This team is lightyears ahead of where they were last year and are competing with the top class of the B1G. No one came into this season with any expectations about being a B1G championship caliber team. This team is young and needs time to mature. Its asinine to be calling for Pitinos head.

We start a senior, two juniors, and a sophomore. We're not that young.

No, but I think he will seriously consider transferring if Pitino stays. The second half swoons and Pitino saying things like "I don't like coaching during the game" have to make Dad wonder about this program.

No, no and no.

Hurts 4 point swing was MDs first tie...5 min to play. MN was not the same after

The turnover was bad and a big deal. Notably, Maryland already had all of the momentum; had it the final 16-17 minutes of the game. That turnover was one bad events of many bad events. The biggest one by far was the And-1 for Jackson when it should have been a charge (Curry), which was a reffing call. The second worst was Murphy's turnover with a minute left. The third worst (and 4th, 5th, 6th, 7th, 8th, etc.) were the made 3s by the MY freshmen.

New ad combined with a 19-41 big ten record. At some point need to realize doesn't matter who the Joe's are if the coach is in way way over his head. Recruiting is fine but a .319 winning percentage isn't acceptable.
You can have the finest clay and still make the ugliest pottery.

On the whole, I agree with what you've written but the size of his buyout, not one-year improvement, is the biggest reason Pitino won't be gone at the end of the season if the team doesn't make the NCAA tournament. Claeys was extremely cheap to fire.

The turnover was bad and a big deal. Notably, Maryland already had all of the momentum; had it the final 16-17 minutes of the game. That turnover was one bad events of many bad events. The biggest one by far was the And-1 for Jackson when it should have been a charge (Curry), which was a reffing call. The second worst was Murphy's turnover with a minute left. The third worst (and 4th, 5th, 6th, 7th, 8th, etc.) were the made 3s by the MY freshmen.
Agreed. Many mistakes in the last 10 minutes

Top Bottom