***OFFICIAL LOYOLA MARYMOUNT AT MINNESOTA GAME #2 IN-GAME THREAD!!!***

This game, again, highlighted that our offensive system is extremely problematic.

We set a down screen and then watch Marcus Carr dribble. It's similar to our offense last year (but we would occasionally dump it down low to Oturu) and really similar to two years (weave and rely on Amir). This is a major systemic failure. I think Pitino is confusing shooting a lot of 3's with running an efficient offense.

The types of shots are one thing (eliminate long 2's, get to the basket, shoot 3's, shoot FTs). However, we also need ball movement. Less dribbling and more passing.

I'm not making excuses for Gabe or any of the other shooters who are struggling but with our current system we aren't going to be a good three point shooting team and it's not just bad luck.
For the love of God - PLEASE YES!!!!

I would say that the 3 straight defensive stops at under 3 minutes bailed Minnesota out and set up the big 3 by Carr at the end. Especially when you consider that LMU was killing the Gophers on the high post screen and cut in the previous 3 minute segment of the game.

Suddenly, we started defending that better, forced some tough shots and got back into the game. If we don't defend, we wouldn't have been close enough for Carr's shot to make the difference.

That non-box out by Curry and the foul the gave LMU the And-One near the end was something that you can't let happen in a tight game.

LMU had at least two wide open dagger 3 point attempts that I believe both happened under 3 minutes. Lauepepe(sp?) had one of them and one of their guards the other. One of the two would have put them up 6. There were some nice stops late and Gabe was key in those. Tough break for Robbins who had a clean block (though the free throws missed anyway).

I'd be more concerned about this game if it wasn't a back-to-back. That does make it harder IMO. That said if Robbins can't stop fouling we're going to get killed in a lot of B1G games. And Gabe, what can you say. If he can't find the shot by B1G play, it's time to start Mashburn or Williams ahead of him. He's a good defensive player but if he can't make 3's you can't start him.

I’d play Tre Williams more and Gabe less. He provides some similar things and can’t shoot worse. Just a thought.

I'm inclined to agree with you but I'm not the coach. Pitino in the past has shown that he has players consigned to the dog house but Gabe appears to be the opposite: a favorite whose poor play doesn't diminish playing time much. I guess we'll see. He does have more options this year than last year.

Last edited:

I’d play Tre Williams more and Gabe less. He provides some similar things and can’t shoot worse. Just a thought.
Completely agree. I was thinking that Tre Williams would be our 6th man this year but I could see a reality where he starts over Gabe if he keeps shooting 1-11.

That said if Robbins can't stop fouling we're going to get killed in a lot of B1G games. And Gabe, what can you say. If he can't find the shot by B1G play, it's time to start Mashburn or Williams ahead of him. He's a good defensive player but if he can't make 3's you can't start him.

Brandon Johnson appears to be pretty foul prone as well.

Gabe played pretty lousy in conference last year but that never seemed to diminish his playing time. The team does have a little more depth this year so I guess things could change.

Yeah, am sure gabe is so deep in his head that would need a spelunker to help him find his way back out. Only questiin is do you continue let him try to shoot his way out of it or sit him more. I have no idea.

Just because he's been going through this for a long time, I wonder if it could be something as a simple as a vision issue.

Credits due
Carr for game winner
Gabe for FTs, defense and charge call near the end
LMUs defense is pretty dam good

I'd be more concerned about this game if it wasn't a back-to-back. That does make it harder IMO. That said if Robbins can't stop fouling we're going to get killed in a lot of B1G games. And Gabe, what can you say. If he can't find the shot by B1G play, it's time to start Mashburn or Williams ahead of him. He's a good defensive player but if he can't make 3's you can't start him.
Carr is going to be getting a ton of attention, leaving other guys open on wing. A guy that cant make a jumper is way too big of a liability. Gabe and Tre need a 20/20 split on playing time

Credits due
Carr for game winner
Gabe for FTs, defense and charge call near the end
LMUs defense is pretty dam good
It was our offense that made LMUs defense look good. Having Carr dribble the ball for 20-25 seconds and setting a single down screen isn't exactly a prolific strategy.

Where was that guy that told me Gabe improved this year? I doubt he replies

Might be a way to go. Tre started strong tonight but then didnt get a lot of first half pt.

Carr is going to be getting a ton of attention, leaving other guys open on wing. A guy that cant make a jumper is way too big of a liability. Gabe and Tre need a 20/20 split on playing time
I'd sub with Mashburn and go small. He is going to be good.

They need to break out Freeman and see what he can do. If Robbin can only give us 20 minutes/game he has to play. We can't have Omersa playing center this much.

We should be rotating Robbins, Curry and Freeman at C and Johnson, Ihnen, Omersa at PF.

A little concerning....but it was one game. Gabe won't shoot this poorly very often.

Look....even Illinois needed a foul call with two seconds left in the game to give them a win over Ohio. The important thing is getting the win.

Yeah, maybe so. I just dont see how we have a successful season without gabe figuring it out.

A little concerning....but it was one game. Gabe won't shoot this poorly very often.

Look....even Illinois needed a foul call with two seconds left in the game to give them a win over Ohio. The important thing is getting the win.

One game? He shot over 50% in 6/31 games last year. He shot under 30% in 10 games last year.

I remember when Jeremy Lin took the NBA by storm for a short while with the Knicks in 2012. He had already been waived by two teams, but when he suddenly exploded everybody said that his previous poor play was just an aberration.

Eventually, however, everyone figured out that his 2012 play was actually the aberration. Lin was who he always was.

At this point, it's fair to wonder if Gabe's good shooting as a freshman was actually the aberration. Maybe he is who he appears to be.

People panic every year when the gophers play a close game early in the year against a mid tier opponent and make claims of how we won't win a game in the big 10. So far this year, Michigan has gone to overtime with 0-4 Oakland, Illinois only beat Ohio by 2, and nebraska and purdue have losses already. There are going to be other big 10 teams who lose to teams they shouldn't or have a lot closer games than you'd expect. Obviously, we'd love to see the Gophers win by 20 and look polished already, but plenty of good teams struggle early in the season, and there's a lot of time to figure things out.

Yeah, maybe so. I just dont see how we have a successful season without gabe figuring it out.
I 100% agree. Thats why I'm not proposing benching gabe. Hopefully he can get his jumper in order with reduced playing time

I remember when Jeremy Lin took the NBA by storm for a short while with the Knicks in 2012. He had already been waived by two teams, but when he suddenly exploded everybody said that his previous poor play was just an aberration.

Eventually, however, everyone figured out that his 2012 play was actually the aberration. Lin was who he always was.

At this point, it's fair to wonder if Gabe's good shooting as a freshman was actually the aberration. Maybe he is who he appears to be.

I think after last year....it's absolutely reasonable to say that his freshman year was the aberration. But shooting is a streaky game. A little bit of confidence and he could re-find his stroke.

I think after last year....it's absolutely reasonable to say that his freshman year was the aberration. But shooting is a streaky game. A little bit of confidence and he could re-find his stroke.
I'd feel more confident about it if we didn't just spend 4 years waiting for Michael Hurt to find it. Confidence is a fickle thing.

I'm inclined to agree with you but I'm not the coach. Pitino in the past has shown that he has players consigned to the dog house but Carr appears to be the opposite: a favorite whose poor play doesn't diminish playing time much. I guess we'll see. He does have more options this year than last year.
Gabe is a good enough scorer inside the arc and good enough defender where he is still better than Tre and Mash even if he isn’t making 3’s IMO.

Top Bottom