***OFFICIAL IOWA AT MINNESOTA IN-GAME THREAD!!!!***

One of these times, we're going to witness Fran have a stroke or grand mal coronary on the sideline. I've lost count of the number of times I've seen him come totally unglued, and one of these times something is going to give.

Great and much-needed win for the Gophers tonight. Murphy was a beast, and needs to play with that type of intensity the rest of the season. It rubs off and everyone else plays with greater intensity on the floor. He's at his best on the offensive boards and being in the right spot for a dunk when a guard beats his guy off the dribble. His low post game has to develop a bit more before offensive sets can be run for him.

Officiating was horrid both ways. The 5th foul Murphy was garbage. Curry committed the foul with the body and they got the wrong guy. It happens, you have to move onto the next play.

You can yell for a timeout all you want in that situation, but it's very possible the official couldn't hear it with the noise in the arena. That's where you need the hand signal, but a heads up play by Springs and Mason to force the jump ball. The entire Iowa coaching staff was damn near midcourt and Fran and another assistant had to be held back by 2 of the officials. Could have easily called technical fouls there, but in that situation you don't want that deciding the game.

Mason was huge when he had to be and made big plays. Pitino had to make an adjustment when McBrayer had issues with the press, he got a timid and indecisive. Iowa got back in it with their defensive intensity and Jok doing what he does. Coffey and Springs did the best they could, he just makes shots sometimes.

Coffey grew up tonight. He got hacked multiple times whether it was breaking the press or going to the basket and couldn't get a call. He just kept playing even though you could tell he was frustrated. Made a couple of huge plays in the 2nd OT as they pulled away.

Basketball is a game of runs, you're going to give up leads. We'd all prefer to not give up a 13-point lead, but the Gophers fought their way out of it and got defensive stops when they were a must. 17-7 going to Rutgers and the only real blemish so far on the NCAA resume is the loss at Penn State, who just beat Maryland. Beat Rutgers and worry about the rest later. I just took time off from work for the first round of the Big Dance and my wife wants to go if they get a bid.

Nothing will be easy and it won't be pretty, it rarely is. That said, Gophers played a very good game tonight overall.

What a great game - since we won, that is. It would have been a terrible loss (I agree with "crushing").
Being at the game was exhausting, but satisfying - I'm certainly deeply relieved I didn't have to walk out of the Barn with happy Iowa fans.

Not sure how the players and coaches do it. I'm merely there watching the game, and I was lightheaded and couldn't focus my vision late in the game. At this point now, with a win, it's a good kind of tired.

Refs were horrible all game long both ways. Lot of missed and blows calls all around. Hard to say who benefited from it more. The refs completely lost control of the game. I at least give them some credit for realizing they had screwed up quite a few calls and not giving either coach a technical. Both could have gotten one.

Iowa's run in the second half was brutal. We just kept trying the same things that didn't work. We needed a timeout much earlier to draw up a few plays to get back in rhythm. Rough stretches are a part of the game, but they shouldn't be that bad. If we make it to the tournament, there aren't many teams there we can beat if we go on that bad of a run.

If we make it to the tournament, there aren't many teams there we can beat if we go on that bad of a run.
While it'd be great to win a game in the NCAA tournament, I think just getting there is most important. Even if the Gophers were to lose right away, making the tournament will certainly generate more excitement about the program than a nice NIT run would, especially with so much of the team returning. There would be a lot more optimism for next year and you'd think it would have to help recruiting.

Sure would be nice to have a game where the gophers lead by 20 the whole way now. I could use a break from the acid reflux they are giving me.

I will start my thoughts by praising the 2nd OT play/response from Amir Coffey. This Freshman goes to the bucket, is fouled by Jok on the play with no call, and finishes anyway. Coffey, who'd clearly been angered by a number of plays prior in this game, seemed to be really set off by this one. What does he do? Steals the f'ing ball on the next Iowa possession and takes it in for the dunk! Almost game over there. Well done Amir, well done.

I am completely baffled by this performance from Jordan Murphy. His entire game changed and so much of it simply appeared to be because of two things: effort and focus. Examples of that effort were clear for everyone to see, especially with his work on the glass and the shot blocks. What about focus? I observed in this game that Jordan was actually getting in a defensive stance off the ball! In the first overtime, Jordan had a huge steal late that he simply never would have gotten in any other game this season. He was active, alert and ready to make a play on the ball and he did just that. I don't know if I should be praising Murphy for his performance or wondering why it hasn't been there more often? What was really odd to me was how much more explosive he appeared. Jordan looked like he was dunking on a Nerf hoop tonight and I haven't seen that all year. I hope we see this Murphy more often the rest of the year.

Nate Mason, just continues to give us the type of floor leader you can win with. Today, he was credited with 7 assists and just 1 turnover. If we didn't need him to score, I think we'd appreciate his game even more. It so crucial to have a point guard who rarely makes mistakes and Mason is that guy. I knew he had a favorable matchup tonight and he took advantage with 25 points. I was a little disappointed with his defense at times (I thought he could really harass Bohannon), but we needed him for a ton of minutes, so in hindsight it's probably a good thing he wasn't up in his grill.

Obviously it's disappointing that we lost another double digit lead at home and had a much tougher game with Iowa than expected, so there's obviously quite a few negatives to get to. I listened to the post game on the radio and Pitino said that he though Reggie Lynch went up soft a lot tonight and that this team will take another step (or something to that effect) when Reggie gives them more on offense. This was huge tonight as Reggie missed a number of bunnies tonight. The boxscore has him at 1-9, but I think it would be fair to say the majority of those misses were right at the rim. Reggie had a great game on the defensive end, but this team doesn't score enough to be able to afford missing the easy ones.

The response to the 2/3 trap was disappointing. I believe Iowa brought it out in the first half a bit and we didn't have much of a problem with it, but in the second half...it got really ugly. Having a very safe lead erased like that on your home court is discouraging. I felt like Pitino waited too long for the timeout and the appropriate time would have been after the second consecutive Dupree turnover in the same area of the court (in fairness to Dupree, he was fouled on the first one). Instead, Pitino subbed in Akeem for Dupree and the turnovers continued. As much as I can't stand McCaffery I'd like to point out what a great job he does coaching basketball. His teams traditionally can't really defend anyone 1 on 1 and this years group was especially atrocious in non-conference play. What does he do? He mixes in zone and the 2/3 trap and tries to patch together an acceptable defense from a group of guys who are pretty talented offensively.

Depth, depth, depth! Well, I think it's pretty clear that Michael Hurt wasn't the issue. Against Illinois, Gilbert missed a 3 and got beat for a bucket in his limited time on the court. Tonight, Gilbert airballed a 3 got caught sleeping on defense and got beat for a dunk, and then went 1-2 from the free throw line. It's not that Pitino can only trust Lynch, Murphy, Coffey, Springs, Mason, McBrayer, Curry, and Konate...it's that nobody outside of those 8 has given us anything positive since Hurt hit a big 3 against Northwestern. To take this further, Konate is clearly limited in many ways and becomes a liability if we have to play him late in close games or for long stretches at a time. I think at least a small part of the reason this team blows so many leads is that our main guys have to log so many minutes every game. It would be nice if this team could step on a teams throat once or twice and allow these guys to get some rest. We're up 11 at home against Iowa, 15 against MSU, as much as 18 against Ohio State, double digits against Maryland...play a two minute stretch and finish it off.

Last possession of first OT. The put the ball in Nate's hands and let him try to score on his own has failed how many times now? In fairness to this specific time if Nate goes straight up instead of fades to his right, he goes to the line for two shots (he was actually probably fouled anyway). If we're going to isolate one guy, I'd love to see Amir get a shot. He can get his shot off easier than Nate and the guy defending him will likely not be as comfortable in an iso from the middle of the floor as the typical point guard is.

I feel like they dodged a huge bullet tonight as a loss would have been a completely disaster and dropped this team to 1-4 on its home court. I hope this win can finally get them over the hump in terms of executing in late game scenarios. It was really great to see them respond after Bohannon hit that bomb to put Iowa ahead in the 2nd overtime.

Fan support: Wow, did you guys sound great in the last ~5 min of this game! I wish we could have that type of noise level and engagement for more of the game. I would imagine it's more fun for everyone when they get up and get involved! If you are the type to get up and get loud try to get it going in the first half.

Final thought: Did someone get to the Iowa fan who was whistling when the Gophers were on the free throw line? It was incredibly noticeable for awhile, but I didn't notice it late in the game.

Rutgers at 11 AM will be a test for these guys. 45 minutes for Mason and Coffey and 39 for Murphy and Springs. Much easier to bounce back after a W though!

While it'd be great to win a game in the NCAA tournament, I think just getting there is most important. Even if the Gophers were to lose right away, making the tournament will certainly generate more excitement about the program than a nice NIT run would, especially with so much of the team returning. There would be a lot more optimism for next year and you'd think it would have to help recruiting.

Sure would be nice to have a game where the gophers lead by 20 the whole way now. I could use a break from the acid reflux they are giving me.

And no play-in game!!!!

We sat by an older couple from Iowa. They cringed whenever Fran started flipping out.

We felt Fran should have been T'eed up after that jump ball call, but it would take real courage for the refs to do that.
Moonlight, good movie by the way.

McBrayer should thank every single player on this team for bailing him out tonight as he single-handily let Iowa back in the game with what 3 or 4 straight turnovers?

Great Win

We missed having a second solid ball handler (Dorsey transfer) with Iowa's press, just like Florida St. did to us. We did a lot better when Pitino had Coffey with his height and solid decision making help bring it up. Springs 4 TO's, McBrayer 3 To's.

Coffey 6 assists, 1 turnover. Even when Lynch and Coffey's shots aren't falling they really can do other solid things to contribute!

Murphy started of the day throwing the ball back outside and the ball movement was very evident. He did it right away, he didn't make a move, have nothing, then try and throw it out where it gets picked off.

McBrayer should thank every single player on this team for bailing him out tonight as he single-handily let Iowa back in the game with what 3 or 4 straight turnovers?

Agree that McCaffrey can really coach, can he recruit? On a starting 5 that has probably the least amount of lateral quickness on any power 5 team in the country, he finds a way to keep them competitive. Uhl and Baer have some length off the bench.

Agree that McCaffrey can really coach, can he recruit? On a starting 5 that has probably the least amount of lateral quickness on any power 5 team in the country, he finds a way to keep them competitive. Uhl and Baer have some length off the bench.

Iowa has some nice young talent and really nice classes coming in the next two years. They will be very tough in the near future.

Looks like they have two good freshmen in pf cook and pg Bohannon, add SG McCaffrey and a 4 star Center next yr. Looks like SF arrives in 2018 Wieskamp top 60 player. Pemsl is solid and Moss has upside, and Bear and Wagner are just sophmore's. Iowa has good offensive teams but usually not enough athletes to be really good on defense. They have had a go to guy forever (15+ ppg) from Gatens, to Marble, A. White, Uthoff, and now Jok. Will be interesting to see if Cook can contribute that consistently as just a sophomore.

Top Bottom