Official 2023 Roster Movement Thread - Who's In and Who's Out?

Fair to remove Dylan Wright at the point? Is the count getting to a point where PJ might have room to offer a transfer LB or CB to bolster depth?

Last edited:

And there will probably be a few more who transfer out after spring ball, realizing it is not going to work out like they planned/hoped.

That's exactly why they have the second portal window in May.

Another spot open: Ryan Stapp leaving and/or retiring from football. Seemed like a good kid; sorry it didn’t work for him. Starting to worry a bit about CB depth. Assume that we seek a transfer at CB when portal reopens in May. We’re deep at safety, but might need help at the corner. 🤨

Added Stapp and Bixby to the retiring section. Always a shame when guys have to call it quits before they are ready to.

Another spot open: Ryan Stapp leaving and/or retiring from football. Seemed like a good kid; sorry it didn’t work for him. Starting to worry a bit about CB depth. Assume that we seek a transfer at CB when portal reopens in May. We’re deep at safety, but might need help at the corner. 🤨
Yeah, cb and lb are definitely where I’d be looking to add experienced players.

Yeah, cb and lb are definitely where I’d be looking to add experienced players.
Wouldn't shock me to see a couple of defensive transfers coming in after spring ball. Staff should have a good grasp on where the holes are after spring practices and now have a couple open spots available to go fill those holes.

Would think Boe and Shaw should be good to go?

Obviously if a bar of gold falls from the sky, you're not going to walk past it.

If the season started this Saturday, Shaw would probably be backing up Boe at Center, and Tyler Cooper at LG.

The staff wants to upgrade the OL via the portal before Fall camp. Either a G or a T would be a take if they're a starting level guy like Filiaga was.

It's all about getting the best five on the field.

LT = Ersery
LG = Cooper (most likely, but Shaw's in the picture)
C = Boe
RG = Carroll
RT = Carroll (or Lewis, or Guedet)

One of the great things about Carroll is he's our best player at both RG & RT, so we just have to find the best player left at either RG or RT.

If they can find a starting level Guard, then Carroll would likely move back to starting at RT. If the staff finds a starting level Tackle, then Carroll would stay at Guard. It's my opinion...no data to back this up, that we're more likely to find a starting level Guard in the portal, than a starting level Tackle.

If the season started this Saturday, Shaw would probably be backing up Boe at Center, and Tyler Cooper at LG.

The staff wants to upgrade the OL via the portal before Fall camp. Either a G or a T would be a take if they're a starting level guy like Filiaga was.

It's all about getting the best five on the field.

LT = Ersery
LG = Cooper (most likely, but Shaw's in the picture)
C = Boe
RG = Carroll
RT = Carroll (or Lewis, or Guedet)

One of the great things about Carroll is he's our best player at both RG & RT, so we just have to find the best player left at either RG or RT.

If they can find a starting level Guard, then Carroll would likely move back to starting at RT. If the staff finds a starting level Tackle, then Carroll would stay at Guard. It's my opinion...no data to back this up, that we're more likely to find a starting level Guard in the portal, than a starting level Tackle.
Great post, thanks!

That’s awesome for Cooper. I had no idea that he has improved this much. (I thought he had retired! lol)

Thought Guedet would’ve proven out more by now.

Would think Boe and Shaw should be good to go?

Obviously if a bar of gold falls from the sky, you're not going to walk past it.
I don’t think we are desperate on o-line, but for the most part I think Fleck should be looking to upgrade at all positions if possible.

Added destinations for some of the guys that are leaving. Will be interesting to see how many new guys get brought in over the next month or so and if any additional players leave.

Added destinations for some of the guys that are leaving. Will be interesting to see how many new guys get brought in over the next month or so and if any additional players leave.
I believe the transfer portal closes April 30. So after that, I don't think someone can be brought in*.

* and be immediately eligible for Fall 2023 season

I think grad transfers can transfer at any time.
Shoot, I keep forgetting that part!

I disagree with that exemption. I'm fine (for now) with them getting an "extra" free transfer, but they should have to comply with the same portal windows.

Shoot, I keep forgetting that part!

I disagree with that exemption. I'm fine (for now) with them getting an "extra" free transfer, but they should have to comply with the same portal windows.
I don't think any of these rules should apply to grad transfers. They did everything right and I think they should be giving all of the leeway to make decision.

IMO, the grad transfer was one of the best changes the NCAA ever made because it actually rewarded the student athlete. The more incentives that are tied to academic achievement, the better IMO.

I don't think any of these rules should apply to grad transfers. They did everything right and I think they should be giving all of the leeway to make decision.

IMO, the grad transfer was one of the best changes the NCAA ever made because it actually rewarded the student athlete. The more incentives that are tied to academic achievement, the better IMO.
In principle, "yes". But then when looking at SEC players who lose their starting spots and were "grad transferring" - somehow they earned a 4 year degree in 2.5 years while playing major college football?

Now maybe that's not as common with the portal anymore? But I remember before the portal insanity, SEC players would get these degrees pretty quick before "moving on".

How about a degree AND 4 years of college attendance before being declared a grad transfer? Sure, once in a while a genius like Blaise Andries comes along and could actually earn a legit degree in 3 years and so he'd be punished in a situation like this, but there are so few of them....

In principle, "yes". But then when looking at SEC players who lose their starting spots and were "grad transferring" - somehow they earned a 4 year degree in 2.5 years while playing major college football?

Now maybe that's not as common with the portal anymore? But I remember before the portal insanity, SEC players would get these degrees pretty quick before "moving on".

How about a degree AND 4 years of college attendance before being declared a grad transfer? Sure, once in a while a genius like Blaise Andries comes along and could actually earn a legit degree in 3 years and so he'd be punished in a situation like this, but there are so few of them....
I actually think it's pretty common. Many of them are taking college course via enrolling early or getting college credits before enrolling and then are going to school through the summer and Christmas break. I would not want to discourage that behavior because I think it's pretty awesome when someone graduates and they are half way through a grad degree.

I do hear what you're saying, I just think of all of the rules that schools can manipulate, the ones where the students come out with degrees and post-grad credits are the right ones.

I don’t think it’s taking much of that reward away to say that they need to do their transferring in those windows. It’s not like if they’re not graduating from the current school until May, that they can’t enter the portal and accept a portal offer in April. They just have to actually graduate and then do the official process of applying to the new school and enrolling.

Top Bottom