Official 2022 Gophers Football Recruiting Thread: Links, Tweets, Videos, Rumors

Sorry if posted earlier, any word on Jack Pyburn? Really like the way he plays and was very excited for him to sign...
We're not his first love. If we were to get him, would he stay? I'm fearing that he would bolt to Florida the first chance he gets as to an offer. I like him as a player etc. Not sure about his commitment level though.

We're not his first love. If we were to get him, would he stay? I'm fearing that he would bolt to Florida the first chance he gets as to an offer. I like him as a player etc. Not sure about his commitment level though.
Sounded solid when he first committed(they all do). Your point is valid these days, if he plays and gets five sacks next year, he could transfer out. On the flip side, maybe he goes to Florida, doesn’t play next year, and uses his one free transfer to come in two years 😂. Different game these days. The only thing that is clear in my opinion, is that he looks to have a bright future; he plays angry, I like that.

Sounded solid when he first committed(they all do). Your point is valid these days, if he plays and gets five sacks next year, he could transfer out. On the flip side, maybe he goes to Florida, doesn’t play next year, and uses his one free transfer to come in two years 😂. Different game these days. The only thing that is clear in my opinion, is that he looks to have a bright future; he plays angry, I like that.
Would you marry someone that is not 100 percent committed to you?

Probably aren’t the first love of a lot of guys that commit, especially from out of state.

Still has the gopher's listed as the place he committed.
https://twitter.com/jackpyburn1

You are likely right, he will still sign if something higher priority doesn't happen before the end of the early or late signing period.

PJ was asked at the luncheon if there would be any signings in February.. he responded with a very emphatic, I sure hope so. There is no down time for these coaches anymore.

Last edited:

Back to the 2022 recruiting thread.

Guys they are after:

OT- Matthew McCoy
OT- Carson Hizman
OT- Cade McConnell
OT- Isaiah Adams (JUCO)
IOL-Vega Ioane (Washington Commit)
IOL- Mystery commit
OT- Willie Tyler (Transfer)
DT- Enyce Sledge
DT- Kobie Turner (Transfer)
DL- Devonte Tezino
DL- Hayden Schwartz
TE- Logan Compton (JUCO)
WR- Zyion Claville
WR- Isaiah Garcia-Castenada (Transfer)
WR- Wesley Grimes (Wake Forest Commit)
LB- Jacoby Windmon (Transfer)
LB- Mystery Commit
CB- Ryan Stapp (Transfer)
What happened to Kobie Turner?? He seemed to have huge stats and was a lower lever guy..

Our transfers had such an impact this year (for the most part). It'd be nice to get a DL/LB or 2 to add to that bunch. The DL is really young right now with the guys on roster. I don't know if I trust the LB group either, though you'd think we'd be alright with how long a couple of these guys have been around (MSM, Oliver)

I like our chances with that Vega (Washington De-Commit). Seems like a good omen to have a guy come watch us get the axe, and de-commit right after.

Last edited:

Our transfers had such an impact this year (for the most part). It'd be nice to get a DL/LB or 2 to add to that bunch. The DL is really young right now with the guys on roster.

I like our chances with that Vega (Washington De-Commit). Seems like a good omen to have a guy come watch us get the axe, and de-commit right after.
He is a Viking Axe Wielder. We need more of them to scare any Badger to death.

Last edited:

Emmett Johnson signed with Nebraska. I hope this doesn't come back to haunt us.
Zach Evans out of Rockwall Texas is rated higher out of HS at 0.8709.

What're a few decimal points. I would have taken Emmett Johnson instead. What do I know? Trust in Burns.

Emmett Johnson

Emmett JohnsonAcademy Of Holy Angels (Minneapolis, MN)
6-0 / 183
864 68 3
Signed

What're a few decimal points. I would have taken Emmett Johnson instead. What do I know? Trust in Burns.

Emmett Johnson

6-0 / 183
864 68 3
Signed

I guess I'll take the guy who comes from a very strong HS football state and had the Notre Dame offer? Oh, and Iowa and Texas too.

Emmett Johnson

6-0 / 183
864 68 3
Signed
Those rankings are just speculative and are not fact.

Those rankings are just speculative and are not fact.
No kidding. Just look at all the recent Gopher signees and compare them to their counterparts that were rated higher in high school. Some are great. Others are duds.

But, Zach Evans coming from a very strong texas High School Football program has a lot of stock. Burns has done us alright by Ky Thomas and Mar'kies Irving.

Emmett Johnson

6-0 / 183
864 68 3
Signed
Why would you rather have Johnson? Just because he is from here?

The Gophers will take the better player based on their evaluation. Zach Evans played in a very competitive Texas program against tough competition.

PJ Fleck and Kenni Burns would take the best talent based on their player evaluations. If a Minnesota recruit is an incredible talent like 2014 Minneapolis Washburn RB Jeff Jones 0.9712, they would have without any doubt scooped him up if he had the grades and character.

I would have offered both.

I think Johnson is good and from here and you never know how things will shake out in 2-3 years.

The "from here" thing is just a plus for me. I think having success with local recruits can have a little bit of an exponential impact on future recruiting. FR and SO look up to SRs. I think TJs success at the U will likely help us more in future recruiting than Bateman's.

Again, I'm not arguing not to sign Evans. If it were between Evans and Johnson for me, I'd pick Evans. However, I think if you have a local kid that is a Big 10 caliber football player, you do everything you can to sign them.

I think Johnson is good and from here and you never know how things will shake out in 2-3 years.

The "from here" thing is just a plus for me. I think having success with local recruits can have a little bit of an exponential impact on future recruiting. FR and SO look up to SRs. I think TJs success at the U will likely help us more in future recruiting than Bateman's.

Again, I'm not arguing not to sign Evans. If it were between Evans and Johnson for me, I'd pick Evans. However, I think if you have a local kid that is a Big 10 caliber football player, you do everything you can to sign them.

If they would have taken Johnson, they would have 7 RBs on scholarship next season, which is way too many when they have other needs to fill.

I think it is a numbers game at RB? They got Zach Evans on scholarship and Max Grand (4.4/40) from Wisconsin as a PWO. Mo and Bryce are returning. I don't know about Trey Potts. Mo returning changes everything numbers-wise. It makes you wonder if Trey Potts is an uncertain medical redshirt. If he doesn't return to the team, that would have left room for Emmett Johnson.
Roster Players
3Trey PottsRB5-11210R-So.Williamsport, Pa. / Williamsport
4Mar'Keise IrvingRB5-10190Fr.Chicago, Ill. / Hillcrest
8Ky ThomasRB5-11205R-Fr.Topeka, Kan. / Topeka
21Bryce WilliamsRB6-0215R-Jr.Sarasota, Fla. / Cardinal Mooney
24Mohamed IbrahimRB5-10210R-Sr.Baltimore, Md. / Our Lady of Good Counsel
25Preston JelenRB5-10210R-Jr.Prior Lake, Minn. / Prior Lake
31Kendall MooreRB5-11195R-Fr.St. Paul, Minn. / East Ridge

Watch Emmett Johnson's (4.48/40) and Zach Evans' (4.46/40) video side-by-side. I think there is an argument to take them both.

Now, we have to face him at Nebraska every year like we did JD Spielman.

In coming Freshmen
Zach EvansRB5-10Fr.Heath, Texas / Rockwall-Heath
Max GrandRB5-9Fr.Ellsworth, Wis. / Ellsworth

Last edited:

Meh, Johnson reminds me of Wiley where Evans reminds me of Mo. So I don’t really care if he is going to Nebraska, I’m sure they can attract scarier rbs. I’d be more excited if we got Camden Royal as a PWO.

Top Bottom