Official 2021 Gophers Football Recruiting Updates Thread: Links, Tweets, Videos etc

Status
Not open for further replies.
Interesting to read. I give them kudos for explaining the "why" for the ranking change, but as I read the "why" it made me realize even more how much they are just guessing.
My guess is that they do "basic" reviews of the thousands of 3+ star guys, and then wait for coaches to zero in on their choices. Then they re-rate those guys with more detailed film review and whatever other combine/workout videos there are. That seems to have happened here with several of our guys.

He left that up there all along. He deleted his commitment tweet and Instagram post about a week ago. He is talking to other schools.
I still see a retweet of his commitment video? I'm not worried about it at this point. Maybe if TAMU or Texas comes calling, but he had a long time to think about his other offers. Ya never know, but I'd bet on him staying. Looks like Jeremiah Pittman committed to Iowa a couple days ago, I don't know of any other widely known DT targets outside of the paywall.

It's funny how those ranking change. Look at the state of Minnesota even Logan Purcell is now a boarder line 4 star before he was a low 3 star.

Regis and Eastern both got bumps to 4 Star. I still see Regis' tweets and re-tweets of others re: his commitment.

I'll try not to break my arm patting myself on the back, but perhaps I should work for 247 so they can get these kids rated quicker :) Here's my post on Eastern's highlights vs. Swinney of Edina the day he committed and was still an unranked 2*

Dang, I know it's a highlight tape but he looks really impressive for a junior. Super high motor, runs well and pursues the whole field, plays low and gets huge push, athletic enough to get off cut blocks and separate after contact. He's gonna get a lot more attention in the near future, I guarantee it.

After his full highlight tape was posted a couple days later

Yup, he's a monster. I posted some of what was obvious from that Edina tape above, and this confirms it. He's got all the makings of an absolute stud. High motor, chases everything down, quick enough to beat a block at the snap, but even when he doesn't he plays with excellent pad level, gets big push, and easily separates from even large OL. I know it's just highlights, but I really like this kid's film.

Good recruiting + Good Coaching = wins (5 - 9)

Recruiting rankings + Gameday + Social Media +etc. = Increase national perception

Increased national perception = 1st choice recruits vs. 2nd, 3rd.......10th choise recruits.

National perception + good recruiting of elite athletes + Good Coaching = Top 10 finishes and CFP.

Do recruiting ranking make the biggest difference - NO. If they did NE would be awesome every year. However, it helps to go next level.

Jus
t my thoughts
Highly ranked recruiting classes are a necessary, but not sufficient, condition for competing at a national level in college football.

Definitely interesting to read their thought process and see the justifications for why they moved a kid up or down. The sad part is that the number next to the kids name really influences they way a lot of fans feel about them as a prospect when the reality is they are just guessing and projecting in a lot of cases.

Still, the more of our guys that end up with 4* next to their name the better because it certainly helps in perception both locally and nationally.

I could see it influencing other talented players to come. Makes sense to want to play with other talented players.

I could see it influencing other talented players to come. Makes sense to want to play with other talented players.
Very true. A 4 star or even 5 star guy wouldn't feel pressured as to a top end recruit to carry the team. He would clearly have support as a team to win.

Dudley: Fleck off to a great start with the class of 2021

There haven’t been many non-virus sports stories over the past two months for obvious reasons.

While the trips down memory lane have been fun, there’s one real-time non-virus story that has continued to catch my eye. And it doesn’t seem like it’s getting a lot of coverage.

University of Minnesota football coach P.J. Fleck has been killing it on the recruiting trail, as it appears he’s making the most of the program’s banner 2019 season.

In recent history, the Gophers have been unable to consistently recruit with the top programs in the Big Ten. Since the conference went to 14 teams in 2014, the team has had a class rank in the top half of the league just once, according to 247 Sports.

If you want to go back a little further, 2008 was the last time the Gophers were in the top half of the league, finishing fifth.

You may not like Fleck’s style, and that’s fine, as it certainly isn’t for everyone. But just remember, Fleck’s job isn’t to sell Gophers football to the fans. It’s to sell it to the most talented teenaged football players.

If he does that part well, the fans will follow. Even the ones who don’t like him.

And if the last two months are any indication ... he’s doing that part really well.

Go Gophers!!

I really like the idea of bringing in DE's with big, long frames that could potentially move inside as their bodies inevitably mature and the strength, conditioning and nutrition kick in. It's not unthinkable that a 6'4"-6'6" athletic high school junior could grow into a special player at DT with time and training. (The same idea trickles down...long, tall DB's can become LB's. Long, tall LB's can become DE's, etc.) I like adding great athleticism and projecting what 4-5 years of development can produce.

Hopefully Trieu is right with his crystal ball as Townley looks like a really nice prospect.
I like the looks of him, too. Appears to be very quick and seems to accelerate into/through the tackle. If he can add 30-40 lbs and learn to stay low, could be the real deal. Now rated a 90 by 247 fwiw.

Highly ranked recruiting classes are a necessary, but not sufficient, condition for competing at a national level in college football.
How do you explain Clemson, then? :sneaky:

Two-bit, nothing ag school, in a crappy state, crappy location. Dabo shows up, suddenly, out of nothing, starts pulling in high star recruits. Poof. National contender.

Two-bit, nothing ag school, in a crappy state, crappy location. Dabo shows up, suddenly, out of nothing, starts pulling in high star recruits. Poof. National contender.
He's a good coach and developer of talent. He doesn't just recruit at an elite level.

FWIW, number of 4/5 star recruits for Clemson and Rivals team rankings for 4 seasons prior to and after Dabo's arrival

Under Tommy Bowden
2005: 6 (17th)
2006: 8 (16th)
2007: 8 (16th)
2008: 13 (12th)

Under Dabo Swinney
2009: 7 (37th)
2010: 9 (19th)
2011: 10 (8th)
2012: 9 (14th)

FWIW, number of 4/5 star recruits for Clemson and Rivals team rankings for 4 seasons prior to and after Dabo's arrival

Under Tommy Bowden

Under Dabo Swinney
And since???

Guess Ol Dabo done “wised up” after 2012.

Under Tommy Bowden

Under Dabo Swinney

But if you go a little deeper, you will see that during his entire tenure, Swinney has successfully recruited 3 4/5 star QBs: Tajh Boyd (5), DeShaun Watson (4), and Trevor Lawrence (5). Having a stud at the most important position on the field is a good place to start if you want to be successful.

Clemson doesn't simply recruit well. Otherwise how do you explain Texas, USC, Miami, FSU, Michigan, or whatever helmet school during periods where they still recruit well but other things are missing..

But if you go a little deeper, you will see that during his entire tenure, Swinney has successfully recruited 3 4/5 star QBs: Tajh Boyd (5), DeShaun Watson (4), and Trevor Lawrence (5). Having a stud at the most important position on the field is a good place to start if you want to be successful.
Along with amazing D-linemen and WRs.

I think its funny people care if Regis is 4-star. If he can play, he can play.
People care because high recruiting rankings are used as a recruiting tool, public relations for ticket sales, drumming up interest in the media, etc.

The player doesn't change, but there's literally no downside to hoping a player has a ratings increase.

Don't disagree at all that Dabo is pulling in top classes now. Just trying to put "suddenly, out of nothing" into some context.

Guess my point is it takes some time to climb to top of mountain.
Fair enough, thanks for the comments. Dabo’s unparalleled rise just doesn’t feel “real”, in some sense.

FWIW, Clemson has been a pretty solid program over the years. from 1977 to 1993, they were in the top 25 12 times. There was a dip in the mid-90's, but since 2000 they've been good or really good most seasons.

it's not like the recent run has come out of nowhere.

Perhaps Clemson changed their admission requirements since Bowden.

FWIW, Clemson has been a pretty solid program over the years. from 1977 to 1993, they were in the top 25 12 times. There was a dip in the mid-90's, but since 2000 they've been good or really good most seasons.

it's not like the recent run has come out of nowhere.
Top 25 is a far cry from being consistently top 4.

Granted, they get to play a lavender soft ACC conference schedule.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Bottom